PDA

View Full Version : Was it a Starship?

Landroger
15th Apr 2011, 19:43
I was leaving Princess Royal Hospital in Farnborough (Kent) today, about four o'clock, after a tough day ramping up the MRI Magnet. On hearing a very odd, or at least unusual, aircraft engine note, I scanned the sky on the finals for Biggin Hill, which passes directly over the A&E entrance.

I spotted a lightish propeller twin heading our way and took a guess that the props were in full fine pitch, with quite a lot of power on - very high cyclic rate. As the aeroplane got closer, I realised that it had a slightly swept canard right at the nose. Closer still I could see it had pusher propellers, well swept wings and a relatively long fuselage. My sense was that it had a high 'T' tail, but I'm really not sure now.

My immediate impression was that it was a Beech Starship, but I also know that these are as rare as rocking horse poo and that most or all of them are in the USA. Has anybody got any idea what this aeroplane might have been? It was certainly well out of the ordinary.

Roger.

asdf1234
15th Apr 2011, 19:48
Sounds like a Piaggio P180... (excuse the poor pun).

treadigraph
15th Apr 2011, 22:04
and that most or all of them are in the USA

I believe most or all of them - bar Burt Rutan's 85% POC and a rogue one - have been scrapped or preserved by Beech.

Sad end for such a superb looking piece of kit.

Agree that it must have been a P180 Avanti that you saw.

Landroger
15th Apr 2011, 22:59
Sounds like a Piaggio P180... (excuse the poor pun).

Oh yes, you're right. Google is my friend and confirms your suggestion - Piaggio P180 Avanti - thanks very much for such a quick identification.

And I agree about the Starship - considering how few of them built, it was a legend in its own lifetime, even to featuring as an option in Microsoft FlightSim!

Thanks again guys.

Roger.

bizjets101
16th Apr 2011, 00:30
Raytheon Beechcraft Starship 2000 2000A Robert Scherer's Starship website. (http://rps3.com/Pages/Starship.htm)

Robert owns and operates N514RS Beech Starship 2000.
(http://rps3.com/Pages/Starship.htm)

bizjets101
16th Apr 2011, 00:33
PS: Starships are very rare - but easy to spot - No Tail!!!

Piaggio P180's on the other hand have a very, very unique sound!!!

YouTube - Foxair Piaggio P180 Avanti

Martin Barnes
16th Apr 2011, 10:02
Just 2 still flying I believe the "rouge" lives in a hangar at FXE plus the Rutan Aircraft.

The rest still parked in a neat line in Wichita.

Wow Im a spotter now !