PDA

View Full Version : Opening Windows Explorer from intranet

Senior Paper Monitor
14th Apr 2011, 17:51
I have a small (3 user) intranet in development that containes supplier and client info.

The intranet website is held on our our central server.

While the key client documents are loaded onto the intranet and can be opened from the site I would like (for the occasional deep/historic search) to give users the ability to search all the douments withiin the client folder and subfolders - as this will be rarely required it would be much more time efficient than loading all the documents to the intranet.

What I ensiged was a shortcut button which would simply open Windows Explorer at the correct folder in a pop-up window.

But I b*ggered if I can work out how to do it - any ideas ? :*

mixture
14th Apr 2011, 17:57
Senior Paper Monitor,

as this will be rarely required it would be much more time efficient than loading all the documents to the intranet.

I assume you will therefore be intending to maintain backups of files located on client computers ? :cool:

Also, out of curiosity, why are you re-inventing the wheel when there are only 3 users involved ?

But I digress. Try a "file:" link. I think that's what you're after... e.g. file://UNC/PATH/HERE/ .... although I've got a niggling feeling what you're trying to do might have been disabled a few years back in IE due to security risks (not sure if it works if you add your site as a trusted site). You may therefore need to look at some form of signed Java applet, or similar in Silverlight or whatever.

Edit to add:

Ref. Silverlight, see "Sample 3: File Surfer" towards the bottom of this website page (http://justlikeamagic.com/2011/03/30/silverlight-4-com-support-samples/) which should give you at least a small insight as to what you can do with a signed Silverlight app.