PDA

View Full Version : Fuel stop in Iran

chimichanga
14th Apr 2011, 09:28
Quick question: Is it OK for a crewmember to land in Iran for a fuel stop. It would be a charter flight.

To complicate matters, what if that particular pilot is an American passport holder?

Is it OK? Honestly, I'm a bit nervous because there seems to be a history of Americans being detained for extended periods of time in this part of the world.

Fuel stops are a fact of life and I am certain that there must be many American pilots refueling in Tehran, correct? Or am I totally mistaken?

Thanks.

bizjet inmate
14th Apr 2011, 10:30
I can really speak for US passport, but last year we did a fuel stop in Tehran with no issues.(UK crew)

If your really worried have you thought about Eastern Turkey or Damascas in Siria?.....dont know where your going, but Turkey is fine, and plenty of Airports near the Iran border.

epsum
14th Apr 2011, 11:01
We have been in Tehran, no problems whatsoever (EU-passport), If you can (depending on route), you might also consider Baku in Azerbajan. You might have some delays (as usual in former Soviet Union), but people are friendly and helpful. 340 miles difference only.

Crosswind Limits
14th Apr 2011, 11:18
Might also be worth considering Ashgabat in Turkeminstan (just north of Iran).

chimichanga
14th Apr 2011, 11:57
Yes, I have been to Baku before. No problems there. Turkmenistan tends to be kind of a basketcase and would prefer to not go there.

I am just curious to know if there are any Americans, (i.e. "The Great Satan"), that use Tehran as a fuel stop. I know Baku is easier, but if you are flying a Lear35, then an extra 350 NM can be too much.

I just don't want to be locked up and then have to have Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter fly to Tehran and negotiate my release, because I "entered illegally" or "was involved in espionage"....when in fact all I want is some Jet A.

Thanks

galaxy flyer
14th Apr 2011, 12:44
You might speak with the US State Dep't. Yes, they give you all sorts of warnings, but they will also give you the legal rules about doing business there. I know Iran is on the sanctions list. I with a US/Canadian crewed department, we won't stop or go in for business purposes. Overflights OK, but we treat it as an ""ETOPS" leg, ETPs for going on or returning to Turkey or Syria.

GF

chimichanga
14th Apr 2011, 13:20
GalaxyFlyer:

Thanks for the info. I am going to try to speak to the US State Dept and the Iranian Interests section at the Pakistan Embassy in Washington DC.

I guess its hard to get an answer from any American pilots because they simply don't do it, I mean refuel in Tehran.

Chippie Chappie
14th Apr 2011, 14:18
Here's some background info.

Iran (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1142.html)

jetopa
14th Apr 2011, 17:08
The only Americans I know who would even consider going there are holding dual passports (= a passport of another country than the US).

For the rest of us (except Israelis, I assume..): all is fine. The Persians are mostly nice people and known for their hospitality.

Tehran Mehrabad, Maschad, Yazd and Tabriz work fine for a quick fuel stop.

mutt
14th Apr 2011, 17:59
In todays newspapers there was an article that Iran has stopped refueling Western Airlines in retaliation to the European ban on Iranian airlines.

So are you sure that you will be refueled? And have you considered what happens if you go technical? You will need special permission to import spare parts.

Mutt

Capetonian
14th Apr 2011, 18:20
In response to a question I asked about the refuelling policy in respect of commercial carriers, I got some very helpful responses following this :

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/311882-bmi-56.html#post6303496

You might find that information useful.

The Iranian people have no problem at all with US Americans or any other nationality, the problem is the government.

chimichanga
15th Apr 2011, 10:43
Actually, the company is from the EU. I am US flying on a JAR license. I live in the EU as a perm. resident, but my passport is US.

Capetonian
15th Apr 2011, 20:48
This is new, I wasn't aware that there is apparently now a full ban in place.

April 13, 2011

Iran has stopped providing fuel to European aircraft in retaliation for their refusal to fuel Iranian aircraft, the state-run Iran newspaper quoted a senior official as saying on Wednesday.

"In a retaliatory move, we have stopped providing fuel to European aircraft," said first Vice-President Mohammad Reza Rahimi, the daily reported.

Last year, US President Barack Obama signed into law far-reaching new sanctions on Iran that targeted the country's fuel imports, punishing any company worldwide that exports fuel or other refined petroleum products to Iran.

Reports said Iranian planes had been denied fuel in Germany, Britain and a Gulf Arab state.

Iran, at loggerheads with the West over its nuclear programme, has been hit by international sanctions over its uranium enrichment activities, which the West fears are part of a plan to build a nuclear bomb. Tehran denies the charge.

Iran had warned European countries in 2010 that it would take action if some Western countries continued to refuse to supply fuel for Iranian planes.

The US legislation did not make clear whether its new sanctions were intended to require firms to refuse to refuel Iranian aircraft at airports in third countries.

Iran is a crude oil producer and a member of the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries. But it lacks refining capacity to meet its demand because of international sanctions and has for a long time imported 40 percent of its fuel needs.

jetopa
20th Apr 2011, 13:32
A few days ago, I stopped at 2 airports in Iran enroute to somewhere else: Tehran Mehrabad (OIII) and Zahedan (OIZH). Got fuel at both places - no problems here.

I was never asked for my passport - since I was wearing a uniform and a crew ID and didn't intend to pass immigration control (in order to stay there for any extended time), I didn't have to either.

You should consult your State Dept. and make sure what kind of support you may expect in case you run into problems there.

Regarding technical problems: there are western built airliners and business jets based in this country and they are all supported with spare parts. Most of the airliners are of older date (B727 for example) but there are newer ones as well like the A300-600, A310, A320, F100 or ATRs.

The business jets which I have seen are Hawkers, Falcon 20 and 2000.

The Persians are generally friendly people and known for their hospitality. They know that their government sucks, too.