View Full Version : FAA Instrument training

Rich_storry
13th Apr 2011, 21:11
Hey there,

Im going through the reams of FAA handbook, and wondering if anyone knows of a more concise way of studying (or book) for the FAA instrument written/oral exam?

zondaracer
13th Apr 2011, 21:52
For the FAA written, buy the Gleim book. For the oral, buy the ASA Oral exam guide. To actually learn the material, I suggest the King Schools computer based instrument course. It might be cheesy but you'll learn a lot, and you'll learn what you really want to know for real instrument flying, not just answers for an exam.

cefey
14th Apr 2011, 01:31
Jeppesen book, discuss stuff with your FI,
Microsoft sim is amazing for instrument (tracking, ndb, holding etc) but then you should know what you are doing, so you dont learn things the wrong way.

If you need to prepare for the test, exams4pilots.org (or something like that).

zondaracer
14th Apr 2011, 12:57
The Gleim book only tells you the answers to the questions.
You won't really learn anything from it and you need a good grounding on the subjects as the Instrument Ground portion of the PTS with the DPE/Examiner is quite indepth and can last a good couple of hours.

Hence why I said:
To actually learn the material, I suggest the King Schools computer based instrument course. It might be cheesy but you'll learn a lot, and you'll learn what you really want to know for real instrument flying, not just answers for an exam.

The Sporty's and Jepp stuff is good, but I also found it a little dry. Just my 2 pence

kaptn
17th Apr 2011, 15:03
The Jeppessen was far enough.....no need to read too much, just understand the basics....for the written exams, train using some internet pilot exams for free, they were really useful....
Other than this, if you need any help in your IR, just PM me..

Good luck

Source : IGI