View Full Version : 15 hour CPL

trigger0071
13th Apr 2011, 18:20
I wonder if someone can help me. I'm am looking at completing my JAA CPL soon. According to Lasors, if you have an ICAO instrument rating you don't have to do the 10 hrs dual instrument flying. I have an FAA instrument rating.
Has anyone done a 15 hr CPL based on having a FAA IR? The flight school I'm with aren't sure. I spoke to the CAA and they were pretty vague about it all.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Wirbelsturm
13th Apr 2011, 18:27
I did the Multi/IR rating in 10 hours which gained me dispensation to complete the CPL section afterwards in 15 hours (not 25).

That was a fair few (many) years ago mind you and with a CAA approved Multi/IR.

So the precedent is there, I would dig a little deeper at Gatwick if I were you.

MIKECR
13th Apr 2011, 21:37
The guidance document is Lasors. It specifically says in Section D that holders of a JAA or ICAO instrument rating will be credited the hours. An FAA instrument rating is ICAO recognised so there shouldnt be an issue.

You probably got the receptionist at the flying school who had no idea what an instrument rating was. Or more likely an FI who didnt know there arse from elbow...as quite often happens!

BigGrecian
14th Apr 2011, 01:30
The flight school I'm with aren't sure.

Might be the first sign to look elsewhere...:hmm:

VarigMD11
14th Apr 2011, 07:46
I am in the same situation as you. I have been told the following at many different FTO's:

Training as needed for the CPL test - usually +/- 5 hours.

Minimum of 15 hrs (if you already hold a current ICAO IR) for the MEIR, of which 10 hrs can be FNPTII and 5 on a/c.

Add on top of that the hrs needed for the actual tests.

Then of course you need a MCC course afterwards to be eligible to take a TR.

Hope this helps!

VJW
14th Apr 2011, 09:27
MIKECR is quite correct.

Last time I mentioned I worked in PLD at the CAA - it was laughed at by one poster, but anyway it happens to be true. Can't imagine them being vague, it's black and white in Lasors.

LASORS 2010 | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=2081)

Not only that, but I too had an FAA IR and did a 15 hr JAR CPL course (ended up taking 18 hrs, as minimums is pretty tough), and a JAR IR conversion course later.

What you need to do, is have your school speak with the CPL examiner that you'll be using when ready for the test - as he's the one who has to sign off the test sheet once you pass, and go through all your hours before taking the test!

trigger0071
14th Apr 2011, 21:28
Thanks for all the comments. Currently waiting on the CAA to get back to me. I have had to send them a detailed email which apparently goes to some 'policy group', even though its all in black and white in lasors.

Big Grecian, my flight school is very good. As they hadn't done this before, i.e someone with an FAA IR, they wanted the CAA to clarify. I'd rather them do this then send me down a blind alley.

MIKECR
14th Apr 2011, 22:00
Why on earth does it have to go to policy dept at CAA? And why on earth does your FTO need to clarify with the CAA? There's no blind alley, its perfectly clear, in black and white, in Lasors(Section D). It takes 20 seconds to google it. If the FTO and UK CAA are not singing from the same hymn sheet(i.e. Lasors) then god help us!

Your FTO should have a current copy of Lasors to hand, why not ask them to read it and explain to you why they need to clarify with CAA? And likewise with whoever you spoke to at PLD at Chateux Belgrano Gatwick...theyre speaking bolleaux!!:ugh:

VJW
15th Apr 2011, 00:41
Mike it's a very simple answer. A few years back, myself and a few other fairly experienced (at least 4/5 years in PLD) members of staff left the department. We've not really been replaced in regards to numbers, but the inexperienced admin assistants (mainly good looking young girls straight from school) have been 'trained' up as replacements. They don't really have a knowledge outside of Lasors of what flight crew actually get up too. Any difficult question they get (and by that I mean something a tiny bit less then standard) they'll tend to fob off onto the policy department for them to answer, even though it's not a policy question as it's covered in lasors. The policy section are the ones that actually write and edit Lasors in order to avoid questions like this all together.

Crap reason, but none the less, it is the reason!

Not too worried about saying the above, not sure anyone there knows what pprune even is!

Mr Grimsdale
15th Apr 2011, 08:44
but the inexperienced admin assistants (mainly good looking young girls straight from school)

And very nice they are too!:O
They make waiting in the foyer really rather enjoyable.

MIKECR
15th Apr 2011, 08:54
You confirm my suspicions VJW. I know of someone else who contacted PLD recently with what should have been a straight forward question regarding instructor ratings. It went straight to policy dept.

Never mind, at least the canteen food at the Belgrano is nice!:}

stuckgear
15th Apr 2011, 09:16
the inexperienced admin assistants (mainly good looking young girls straight from school)

Please confirm the location of the establishment. LAT and LONG will do. :E

VJW
15th Apr 2011, 10:01
400 meters south of the threshold RW26L at EGKK.

Bottom floor.

stuckgear
15th Apr 2011, 10:41
are they locked away when my name gets registered for a pass? :}

Mr Grimsdale
15th Apr 2011, 11:26
Could be you get locked away next time you register for/make (delete as inappropriate) a pass?:E

stuckgear
15th Apr 2011, 14:19
Now that's a good retort ! :ok:

[thread drift /off]

scherzo
28th Apr 2011, 12:09
"You probably got the receptionist at the flying school who had no idea what an instrument rating was. Or more likely an FI who didnt know there arse from elbow...as quite often happens"

I've met a few FIs who don't know THEIR arse from elbow, but if I met any who didn't know THERE arse from elbow I would probably think that they are an elbow-hole!