PDA

View Full Version : Regional Express to acquire skippers?

onedottoolow
13th Apr 2011, 09:30
Been hearing several rumours over the past few weeks in and out of the ops dept.
SQ in talks with the Singaporeans about a possible takeover, indeed could be good in one way but no so good in the other.
Has anyone else heard a similar rumour or have any info?

The Green Goblin
13th Apr 2011, 09:57
Makes sense, they both deserve each other!

Skippers and Rex could both be great companies, if it were not for the nitwits at the top with a giant chip on their shoulders that never made it :cool:

Mach E Avelli
13th Apr 2011, 10:50
Chinese proverb : "Be careful what you wish for; you may just get it"

onedottoolow
18th Apr 2011, 07:05
Maybe there is more substance than just a rumor? surely someone knows a bit more info.

Check out the Hugh Davin on the move thread

ryanboxer
18th Apr 2011, 13:11
its not as far fetched as it sounds, Rex has the money and the players to do it

bigbrother
18th Apr 2011, 22:49
If you work for Skipper and REX takes over, RUN. That is unless you like being treated worse than you can remember you ever were in G.A.

apache
18th Apr 2011, 23:21
Has Jim Davis moved on from REX?

Flying Meat Cleaver
19th Apr 2011, 03:44
I reckon the boys at Skippers are a little worse off then the REX fellas at the moment in terms of working conditions! Skippers FO's drive the pax buses! Then there is the old legendary Skippers resignation rosters! So maybe not a bad thing for Skippers staff if REX were to buy the company!

Good Question Apache, lots of interesting stuff being slung around about JD! Official word is Long Service Leave.

FMC.

Low and Fast
19th Apr 2011, 09:08
Maybe KRUSTY might know a bit more! surprised he has not commented here yet.

Where are you KRUSTY do you know anything?

apache
19th Apr 2011, 09:45
maybe he has been CENSURED from saying anything?

maybe he is on holidays?

maybe they are just working him too damn hard and he is just WAY too tired to get online?

Mr. Hat
19th Apr 2011, 11:38
He's either flat out flying or this ain't a rumour! The silence says it all!!

Only sped read the thread saw something about pilots driving busses.. fair dinkum yer kidding aren't you. Oh what a joke. I'd be updating my applications once a week for that one!:ugh:

Thought that game ended after scenics..

KRUSTY 34
19th Apr 2011, 14:40
Gidday apache, Low and Fast. Haven't commented because I honestly don't know anything! :}

You're right about one thing though apache old mate, we are starting to get flogged again. 2 Melb captains resigned this week, and already crewing are tearinig their hair out. What'll happen when DJ and (god forbid) JQ start calling up from the respective hold pools! Mind you, we've seen this before, and REX will just do what they've always done. Funny thing though, so far they've gotten' away with it. Albeit at considerable customer pain. But that's OK when 90% of your routes are monopolies!

And by the way apache, can you tell your Sheepshagger mates to turn their taxi lights off when going head to head with me down taxiway Golf! Or is that against your SOP's?

As for JD, rumour 'round the campfire has it he wont be back.

apache
20th Apr 2011, 02:23
wll gee krusty, since you asked so nicely and didn't insult them, I am sure they will be happy to oblige

onedottoolow
20th Apr 2011, 12:01
To All

Flew today with a very senior capt, Negotiations apparently are taking place between SQ and a very interested party, that conversation today explained a lot to me as far as I was concerned, seriously were getting flogged at the moment guys "work wise".

The long hours etc.
The shortage of flight crew etc.
The need to contract flights etc.

Anymore info? is it Regional Express or the Link?
I personally cannot think of any other carrier that would be interested.

snoop doggy dog
20th Apr 2011, 13:47
Lower pay rates for the Skippers crews are on the horizon to meet the low levels of REX :}

Collective Bargaining :ok: You can hear them now....... "I will only be here till I get XXXX hrs, then I am off to fly jets." :mad: That's why the AFAP looks after (using the phase extremely lightly) you guys :=

Good luck :ok: 'cause you will need it ;)

LM82
24th Apr 2011, 06:07
Krusty, for someone in the know I am surprised you didnt know the Captains resigned the week before your comment........surprised you didnt mention the minimum notice required either. Not having a dig but there is usually more 'substance' in your posts.

onedottoolow, so by your logic if your high on seniority you get let in on all the secret management decisions? if this is in fact true it would be played very close to managements chest. I have met cadets who know more about company intentions than senior Captains, most of those Captains are still living pre 2002 so I highly doubt they are interested in 2011.

ducking for incoming!

onedottoolow
26th Apr 2011, 06:27
Lm82
Seriously mate! Like all companies and some of us, we do have friends of friends in high places and always someone will say things they shouldn't, i'm only wondering whether fact or fiction that's why i posted this post.

Odtl

jibba_jabba
26th Apr 2011, 07:31
gee if LKH bought majority of shares in skippers, that would make sense.... he will get more tax free dividends while setting the standard of lower pay. Also, it may position rex to hedge against losses from VB venture into regional flying??? and possibly more avenue to place cadets who pay for a job to get icus?

Question is, will the management be able to cope? People like the "n.f.o.m" will not cope with their pseudo brown nose management style learned from LKH; They will achieve new levels of incompetence while making life difficult for crew. :ugh:

JD is on Long service leave, and likely to never return, given the recent "restructure" and new management positions that were created. :D good riddance to a man who forgot where he came from, just like most management at rex.

onedottoolow
28th Apr 2011, 10:14
Jibba jabba. Now skippers interviews in melb as advertised on afap today. That's a bit coincedental wouldn't you think.

Shed Dog Tosser
29th Apr 2011, 21:54
Avtur,

Try the search function: http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/259924-exodus-skippers-merged.html

How about you trying thinking before typing, this has all happened before and will continue whilst ever there are idiots that think they should have to pay for a job and work for less than they would be paid flipping burgers.

PPRuNeUser0161
29th Apr 2011, 22:26
Avtur
If your in GA and looking to get into the RPT/Avtur powered scene then my advice is to stay in GA provided you are getting quality command time, ie turboprop. If you can't get that then go to someone like skippers or rex and just get on with it. There will be pain and even when you finally get to a jet it won't be as good as you thought but as long as you don't expect rivers of gold and you like to fly lots you will love it!

The days of super quick commands for the masses are over. The skippers add indicates they are interested in guys with quality command time for DEC so something's going on. Wonder if rex will ever entertain this approach, but then a DEC into rex would still see me take a 20K pay cut over my B200 job. Very attractive prospect hey.
SN

waitingforairlines
2nd May 2011, 04:18
Im a skippers pilot, its no longer 2007 - so the above posting doesnt give you any indication of the situation now.

Fact is, its a breath of fresh air to step out of a a piston twin into something bigger with aircon, a hostie and isnt restricted below A100. People will always move on, thats natural and not the concern here. If u come from a piston twin, and want to progress this is a step in the right direction... with a small paycut as an F/O, then you live comfortably in a year or so when u get command. (command upgrades is anyones guess, looks like around a year at the mo)

So if you currently fly piston twins and think that going to a regional like skippers is a bad moved based on what people have said "has happened" then you need to tear your license up and get a job at the minesites that skippers and other regionals fly to.... or go be a cadet and get in a widebody with NFI what you are doing.

Mr. Hat
2nd May 2011, 06:51
..or go to Qlink/Skywest.

Do they still make pilots fill up their water bottles from the taps? An oldie but a goodie.

vee tail
2nd May 2011, 09:39
Waitingfor. that is my thoughts. I wprked there and did enjoy it how ever on here you will only here from people who are A whingers, B didnt cut the mustard or C who are whingers.
They paid me reasonable, I went to work and flew and didnt get caught up in the bullsh!t, got lots of hours and moved on.:ok:

The Green Goblin
2nd May 2011, 09:47
If you call 47k reasonable to be a Braz FO, or even less on the Metro in one of Australia's most expensive cities be my guest.

Once you have experience as a Pilot, it ain't about hours anymore. It's about pay and conditions along with lifestyle.

waitingforairlines
2nd May 2011, 16:11
im hearing u goblin, but doesnt matter, what you say, coming from living in the middle of buttf*ck nowhere to get hours, to living in a capital city is a good start....

i agree, dash/braz/metro f/o's get paid **** - i myself will take it on the chin cos i feel im already moving upwards towards a major airline which is my goal. I wont settle for 47k a year, i dont think any pilot at this position should, it is a transient step which i will put up with for a year, if no joy in that time, ill move onto the next best lifestyle/money balanced flying job...

as for most expensive city... its miles cheaper then karatha/sydney/darwin to name a few.... you make it sound so dark and gloomy that no one should ever consider it... is this chip from your shoulder? :ooh:

KRUSTY 34
2nd May 2011, 21:36
There have always been stepping stones along the way in an Aviation career. "If only I could crack that 172 job". "Just another 100 hours and I can move up to the Baron". "Yippee! Finally got an interview with the regionals." etc, etc... In fact it's been the cornerstone of many a rise to the top.

Unfortunately we now have that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow being filled with lead. Ambition is fine fellas, in fact it's vital to suceed in this game, but once you've reached a level where you are flying RPT, settling for crap T&C's because it's still a stepping stone, may end up seeeing that last stone covered with moss!

We now have people carrying that attitude over to the major airlines. If you think $47K for flying a Braz' is crap, how about $45K to fly an A320! Airline management everywhere are snug in the knowledge that they have pilot's and their attitudes worked out.

Habbits are hard to break it seems.

Tidbinbilla
3rd May 2011, 02:26
And now we should get back to the topic: Rex acquiring Skippers. And not yet another hijack into terms & conditions. :ugh:

waitingforairlines
3rd May 2011, 04:53
sorry for hijacking...

I havent heard anything about this through the grapevine, which doesnt mean its not true... I would think that stan(owner) doesnt need any outside support considering he owns the entire fleet, unless he wants to get out and selling it to rex is on the cards?

So back to the original question, where did this news come from and is it reliable?

onedottoolow
4th May 2011, 08:02
Waitingforairlines

Stan and the Singaporeans have had discussions.(TRUE) And that info has come from inside senior management, as for "IF" they do takeover skippers then that is the trick question that many of us would like to know the answer to.

Hope this info helps.
PS by the way great place to work, great people, don't listen to the wingers.

aviator23
15th May 2011, 11:48
Any more news on this proposed deal/rumour?!?!?!?

Shed Dog Tosser
16th May 2011, 22:55
Answer me this: who did the Singaporeans buy REX from ?.

Skystar320
17th May 2011, 10:09
To answer your question, they brought it from Ansett Administrators.

The Green Goblin
17th May 2011, 10:24
To answer your question, they brought it from Ansett Administrators.

Where did they bring it from? :p

Ansett must have taken it somewhere and they simply brought it back. :cool:

onedottoolow
18th May 2011, 10:27
All gone quiet!