PDA

View Full Version : W7 cut and paste fails if destination document opened first

The late XV105
13th Apr 2011, 08:54
Windows 7 with Office 2010
Plenty of similar cases found, but no solution.
Hopefully a fellow PPRuNer has better eyes than me and can point to one. :)

Fails

Open source document
Invoke "copy" or "cut" via toolbar or keyboard shortcut
Create a new Office 2010 target document (specifically) such as an Outlook e-mail or Word document
Observe that there is nothing to paste until "copy" or "cut" is repeated

Works

Create a new target document such as an Outlook e-mail or Word document
Open source document
Invoke "copy" or "cut" via toolbar or keyboard shortcut
Observe paste success

Steps 1 and 2 are interchangeable, with success. The key thing is that for Office 2010 applications the target document exists before "copy" or "cut" is invoked.

Not life threatening, but annoying none the less and takes some of the gloss of the nice things with W7 and Office 2010.

Available fix?

TVM,
XV

Keef
13th Apr 2011, 09:40
I think it's a new "feature". The action of creating a new document clears the "copy" or "cut" cache.

Office 2003 doesn't do this.

I abandoned New Office (2007 at the time) and reinstalled Office 2003. I couldn't handle the OTT array of drop-downs and sub-menus when all I wanted was simple buttons to do stuff. I gave away the New Office to the kids next door, who love the eye candy.

jimtherev
13th Apr 2011, 14:13
That intrigued me - I have Off-10 and W7 and hadn't noticed this effect... so I immediately opened a word doc and copied a paragraph, hit <CTRL> N for a new one and successfully pasted my copied stuff.

Have I unwittingly disabled this "feature"?

Mike-Bracknell
13th Apr 2011, 20:40
Works fine for me with Office 10 and W7.
Office 10 actually has 24 internal clipboards which you can view the content of from within the application and selectively choose which content to copy.

Maybe you have some third party application which is causing the unwanted behaviour - rather than it be a Office issue..

Works fine for me too. Doesn't appear to be a W7/Office 2010 specific issue, as i've never seen it fail on all the clients i've deployed, so i'd concur with SoCal App.

The late XV105
14th Apr 2011, 00:50
Thanks, Guys. Nothing third party I can think of that would cause it but then I acknowledge that sometimes causes can be from the most unlikely place.

I am far from alone though as a web search will confirm, and I know of one other person with a box-fresh W7 and Office 2010 laptop that has the same behaviour.

Not my highest priority thing to troubleshoot but if I find a solution I will write it in this thread.

The late XV105
14th Apr 2011, 23:06
Fixed. The Windows clipboard is no longer cleared on opening an Office 2010 Application. :ok:

With the "third party" comments as the stimulus, a logical troubleshooting process quite quickly revealed the Microsoft SharedView plug-in to be the cause. Now disabled by opening Word, navigating to File\Options\Add-ins\Manage COM Add-ins, pressing [Go], un-ticking the SharedView plug-in, and saving the change.

My employer has recently stopped using SharedView in favour of the (excellent in my experience) Microsoft Lync unified communication platform (which has a Word plug-in that works!) so disabling the SharedView plug-in matters-not. In fact, I might as well get rid of SharedView! :)

Thanks for the "third party product" pointer that set my train of thought.

jimtherev
15th Apr 2011, 09:07
... and to XV105 goes the Sherlock Holmes Award for this week. Thanks for the interesting report. :)