PDA

View Full Version : Insight on these helicopter schools?

Clintonb
12th Apr 2011, 17:35
Does anyone know or has been to either of these helicopter schools Mazzie flying service in California, Hillsboro aviation in Oregon or Quantum helicopters in Arizona.
i cant decide which school to go to would love to go to Bristow but its way to expensive for me some im left with the other 3 schools but would like to hear positive and negative from people that have heard about them or even gone to the schools to train or checked it out and hear from you what you thought about the schools.
Thanks

Bravo73
12th Apr 2011, 18:27
Clintonb, meet search function. Search function, meet Clintonb:

http://www.pprune.org/search.php

:rolleyes:
:E

jemax
12th Apr 2011, 18:27
I used Quantum to do my FAA IR in Nov/Dec 2007, I was coming in from JAR land and was therefore on a fixed 5 week schedule, they were very helpful helping with my alien visa, the management staff are the same as when I was there. Every session was run exactly to schedule, all 13 R22's running like a very well oiled machine. Very very impressed, especially compared to anything in the UK.

strey
12th Apr 2011, 18:47
I'm currently at Hillsboro. I have only been here a week now, but so far so good. Good instructors and nice people in the administration staff. Feel free to ask questions :)

darrenphughes
13th Apr 2011, 20:41
I attended Mazzei in 2006 and also worked there for a short period before moving to the East coast and I have to say, Jim Brannan runs a tip top operation. He's a 35 year instructor who is genuinely interested in passing on all his experience to the students and instructors who work there. He has weekly lunch meetings with his instructors and pick random topics to "freshen" us up on. He always kept us on our toes, which I felt pushed me to always do better.

I worked at 4 other schools on the East coast since leaving Mazzei, and none of them even came close to the level of professionalism Mazzei oozes. If you do decide to go there, you'll be happy with your decision. If you're speaking to Gerry, their sales guy, take what he says with a grain of salt. He's exactly that, a sales guy. He's not a bad dude, he's just likes to talk a lot!! Go directly to the school and speak to Jim, the instructors, and the students to get their opinions.

I now work with a guy that attended Hillsboro and he had good things to say about it also.

aclark79
13th Apr 2011, 20:55
Its a lot of money no matter what school you go too. You should invest in Greyhound of cheap airfare and go to each school and see which one has the best fit / impresses you most and then go there! Look at the other factors, cost of living, cost of a rental, student housing, are you planning on working part time during your training (I did, but wouldn't if I could do it over).

I attended and worked at Hillsboro, I think its a great school, but I've only heard good things about Massi and Quantum.