PDA

View Full Version : 206 Down: Malaysia (April 2011)

Savoia
12th Apr 2011, 06:39

A helicopter crashed at the town square in Sibu, Malaysia Monday afternoon, just opposite a hotel where Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin was attending a function.

City police chief Shafie Ismail said the pilot was injured and has been admitted to hospital. There was no one else in the helicopter, he added.

It is learnt that Muhyiddin had arrived in another helicopter at the same place, just a few minutes before the crash.

The helicopter, belonging to Sabah Airways and among three carrying Muhyiddin's entourage, crashed at 1.50pm while taking off to return to Sibu airport.

Helicopter crashes in Sibu, pilot injured (http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Malaysia/Story/A1Story20110411-273019.html)

Savoia
13th Apr 2011, 14:06
The pilot, identified only as Captain Shahimi, suffered serious injuries on his right rib and was rushed to Sibu Hospital. Sibu police chief Assistant Commissioner Shafie Ismail said Shahimi was about to fly off when it suddenly went out of control about 2 metres from the ground.

Meanwhile, an eyewitness who declined to be named said there was strong wind when Shahimi was about to fly off. He and three others was rushed to the site and saw the victim was bleeding.

"We had to break the window to open the door from inside and extricate him," he said.

Latest: Pilot Captain Shahimi Ghazali, 38, sustained liver and right lung injuries as a result of the crash. He is currently undergoing operation.

Update 9.11pm: Police have confirmed that Captain Shahimi succumbed to his injuries and passed away at 8.30pm tonight.

More (http://www.nst.com.my/articles/HelicoptercrashesnearSibuhotel/Article/):

YouTube - Sibu Helicopter Crash

Are there any Malaysian PPRuNers able to shed any light on the possible cause of this crash?

Aser
13th Apr 2011, 14:54
R.I.P. :(

Aser

bolkow
13th Apr 2011, 14:59
RIP from me too, very sad outcome, initially I assumed with those injuries he would survive.

Garfs
14th Apr 2011, 10:43
Savoia

YHM

Cheers