PDA

View Full Version : Dual Layer DVD burner

sisemen
11th Apr 2011, 12:33
As far as the wires and fiddly bits go on computers I am a complete luddite.

As my computer died this morning I had to get a new one. This sucker has a dual layer DVD whatsit - ie, only one slot where a DVD/CD goes. In my old machine there were two separate slots and I could understand that - original in one slot and the blank DVD in the other - simples.

So what happens if I want to copy a DVD/CD now?

Supplementary question......

The old computer was fixed by the company and I would like to piggy-back it to my new one to provide additional hard drive space and save me the trouble of copying over all my old data and program files. Can this be done easily?

Avtrician
11th Apr 2011, 12:57
Your software will detect only one dvd, and will propt you (usualy by ejecting the original) to take out the original, and insert the correct blank.

If you want faster copying, install a second player/burner or use an external usb device

mad_jock
11th Apr 2011, 13:03
1 you have to swap disks over. The copier buffers you disk onto the hard drive and then you swap the disk over and it then squirts it onto the blank.

If you go to any PC components shop you can pick up a second burner for peanuts and then you will be back to 2 slots.

You can use the old machine in several ways.

1. Pull the harddisk out of the old one and add it to the new one.

2. Share certain directories and attach them as extra drives on the new machine via a network.

You won't be able to directly port your programs across you will have to install them all again on the new machine

green granite
11th Apr 2011, 14:11
Why not take one of the DVDs out of the old computer, that's what I normally do. Use it just for reading not writing.

Mike-Bracknell
11th Apr 2011, 16:01
A "dual-layer" burner basically means it can burn dual-layer DVDs (i.e. those with 9Gb capacity as opposed to the single-layer 4.7Gb capacity), however you need the larger capacity media to be able to take advantage of that.

sisemen
12th Apr 2011, 00:47
Thanks for the help guys. :ok:

Booglebox
12th Apr 2011, 22:07
If you're using Windows, depending on the version there are allegedly helpful transferring tools (that I haven't really ever used though) that let you grab your settings, documents, and whatnot from one machine and put them on a new one. Look under Accessories in the start menu. :cool: