PDA

View Full Version : Aussie LAME wage review

Not Plussed
11th Apr 2011, 09:45
The "Aussie wage compilation" thread is a great idea.

I thought it would be an idea have one for the guys and gals who keep the aircraft safely in the sky.

BTW - not trying to hijack the forum....just complement it!

First off -

Virgin Tech B1 Lame - single rating.

$136,000 p.a. no shift penalties or further payments

6 weeks leave

+ super + staff travel

Chadzat
11th Apr 2011, 10:48
I didnt get around to putting in your LAME wages into the top post in other thread Not Plussed-sorry about that. This will be an interesting comparison as well. Hopefully all the LAME's on here can have an input.

BOBO THE CLOWN 23
11th Apr 2011, 11:17
This Virgin job is it for night shift or day shift?

Black Hands
11th Apr 2011, 11:42
I'll bite...

As a QF LAME with 3 current company types: 738, 767 & A330 Airframe and Engine only, with just over 18 years company service my base salary is $85644 plus a 37ish% shift penality for working a 12 hour rotating shift roster... Total $117332... Plus super + 5 weeks leave + staff travel.

Food for thought...

MELKBQF
11th Apr 2011, 12:03
I believe the Virgin salary is based around a DDNN roster, those who work NNNN recieve and extra $8k. Virgin also increase you salary by $5k when you pick up a second type.

Jet-A-One
11th Apr 2011, 21:52
QF LAME Mechanical 1 type (Airframe + Engine)

$1220.67pw x approx 30% shift (post 96 starter Base Maint DDNN 12hr shifts)

$82357pa

+super +staff travel +5 weeks anual leave +6 Days In Leu of Public Holidays per year

Pay structure gives a grade rise every 4yrs (approx $85pw base increase)

MEA332
11th Apr 2011, 22:28
The QF single Lic Mech LAME has so much to look forward to, while the new B1 B2 System will make the B2 LAME almost redundant.

Interesting times ahead boys, maybe we shall all wait for the new hanger to be built over at exec jet and make a fast move.

Jet-A-One
11th Apr 2011, 23:50
The younger guys are going to be leaving QF in droves if this EBA doesn't address the dismal entry level LAME pay.

lordofthewings
12th Apr 2011, 01:39
Jet-A-One, where do you think they are going to go. Contracting in USD not worth it at the moment, Virgin hardly ever recruit, guys working as AMEs that are licenced on type waiting for an oppurtunity already in VB.
Regionals normally wont touch airline guys unless super desperate.
Think QF younger folk will be hanging around until some of the old crusties move on and hopefully allow for some career(pay) progression.

Jet-A-One
12th Apr 2011, 04:26
Plenty of young guys already gone over to Jet* in line and heavy lordofthewings and all those that I know are doing quite well.

Who is going to work in the big hangar Virgin are building in SYD?

Ngineer
12th Apr 2011, 05:07
Who is going to work in the big hangar Virgin are building in SYD?

A very good point.

lordofthewings
12th Apr 2011, 05:41
Well said. Going to have to have a 738 or Emb ticket though.

Clipped
12th Apr 2011, 07:03
Think QF younger folk will be hanging around until some of the old crusties move on and hopefully allow for some career(pay) progression.

Those 'younger folk' must be counting on the benevolence of Q management. I'm pretty sure they keep reiterating we're too expensive and LAME wages are in the firing line. There are developments in Q Future to curtail LAME wage growth down the track.

Don't count on that proportional increase in pay as your years of service (and career?) increase.

I also wonder how many 'old crusties' will leave at 60, when the retirement age and financial commitments can keep them going, way beyond that.

MEA332
12th Apr 2011, 07:49
I think you will find that it wont only be B737 and EmB work going on in that hanger for Virgin.
Expect to see some M.East carriers who are pouring the money in for the construction of that hanger to get Maint done on the aircraft they start to day-stop and overnight.
So they willl be looking for guys with Wide-Body Airbus/Boeing Lic.

Q Management must be dreaming if they think the monopoly with hanger space in Syd, Melb and Qld will continue.

Toolman101
12th Apr 2011, 08:42
MEA332
'the new B1 B2 System will make the B2 LAME almost redundant.'

A valid point. Thankfully for the immediate future most avionic guys are not threaten as I'm sure there aren't that many Mech engineers with full Electrical licences, but it will come in the long term.:sad:

It will be interesting to see if management use the change in licensing to cut salaries. After all who will want to pay for a B1/B2 when you can employ an 'A' licence engineer for a lot less.
All those negotiating new EBA's need to get their positions locked in before Lames become an endangered species:{

another superlame
12th Apr 2011, 08:45
Lets see that VB hangar before speculation of a mass exodus.

MEA332
12th Apr 2011, 13:17
SuperLame,

I do not think it will be a mass exodus of Qantas LAMEs, well, non that will retire in the next 10 years or so who are capped out lvl 15, Division 1 and 2 super, 600+ hours annual leave, max sick leave, 12 months long service and a lic on the Connie, 707, 767 and classic.
The exodus will be of the young guys, the future of Qantas Engineering, the lowest cost LAME in the system.

What type of future does management want to see from in-house engineering in Australia? You have two types of managers, effective managers and successful managers. Qantas Engineering lacks effective managers who are in the position to improve the long term future of the company.

Sump Monkey
12th Apr 2011, 15:09
I'm led to believe these figures were correct as of a year or so ago:

AMSA

$85k + overtime ($Hr x 1.5) + Super + 5 weeks leave
No extra type/licence payments

BA Engineering Sydney

$115k AUD + Super + 6 weeks leave + Staff Travel
No extra type/licence payments

birddog254
14th Apr 2011, 06:56
Gday all
Im currently a comercial pilot, looking at becoming a LAME
I enjoy helping out in all the 100hrlys and find it pretty interesting
what kind of coin is an apprentice on and any tips or suggestions at all?
Cheers

Silverado
14th Apr 2011, 15:41
Apparently the average QF LAME is on $150,000 (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/9192780/qantas-threat-over-strike-vote/):cool:

Arnold E
15th Apr 2011, 09:18
Hmmm I would be interested to hear from some of the bottom feeders in GA such as myself.

BrissySparkyCoit
15th Apr 2011, 14:28
I am not sure the guys signing the widebodies out of hangar 3 in Brisbane for 35 bucks an hour would agree with that one Silverado.

Being one myself, I second that.