PDA

View Full Version : Ops Room Radio

whydowebother
10th Apr 2011, 12:45
I am looking for a VHF ground-air radio for a small company Ops Room. It would be even better if it worked in the UHF comms band too, due to the nature of our business (not sure if you can actually get a V/UHF box?). Budget is limited, so second-hand is definitely an option.

Does anybody know of a good supplier, or someone who has an old set knocking around? Very grateful for your help.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Apr 2011, 13:08
Note that it have to be properly licenced and that may set you back a few shillings.

I've no doubt that such equipment is available, but being of the "commercial" variety it will be expensive. A friend of mine wanted a small aerial for his glider club radio and was quoted over £400 for something which could be made for under £5!!

Good luck.

Gulfstreamaviator
10th Apr 2011, 13:44
Firstly you need to aspply to the CAA, for the allocation of a frequency, (V /U ), then they will ask the Radio Regulatory body, for a non conflicting, but sharehed frequency in the air band. Most Gnd service frequencies are very limited, and well occupied.
you need to advise your call sign to be used, plus reason for request.
The the licence, not that expensive, in the old days.

The sets (V) are not that expensive, as you need to locate a private mobile supplier, and provided the kit meets the basic specs, for licence in UK, then there will be no problem. Show them the authorisation from the CAA. then they will be able to set up the frequency etc.
The aerial is not an expensive exercise, any dipole that matches the frequency / wavelength will suffice.
The operator is required to hold a valid licence, but can supervise users, who do not have a licence.
To find a supplier, either google or brouse you local magazine shop, in the Amateur or private mobile radio sections.
In theory any approved air band TX/RX can be used, with suitable base station and aerial kit. Try Sportys etc, etc.

glf

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Apr 2011, 07:02
I think he means Sporty's.... but they're in the USA, which would mean extra cost in importing gear plust difficulty in case of problems. I think you get the idea - it isn't going to be easy to do legally.

Gulfstreamaviator
11th Apr 2011, 09:46
Icom Transceivers, Icom A24, Icom A6, Microlight Transceivers, Icom A6/A24 Transceivers - FlightStore.co.uk (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/airband/transceivers/)

In a previous life, I distributed hand held air band radios, and many hand held sets were in use as low cost ops base stations.

The regulations might have changed, and thus the "base station" might be mandated, allow 1000.00 stg for the set, cable, power supply, and basic aerial.

There are companies selling second hand units.
one web site: www.preloved.co.uk

The park air unit was a regular item in small towers, and assuming the band width requirements can be met, will be suitable.

CAA Website reference:
Licence Categories | Radio Licensing | Airspace Policy (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=8&pagetype=90&pageid=2)

glf

whydowebother
17th Apr 2011, 07:11
Thanks very much. I think I understand where I need to go with this now. Much appreciated!

Otto Throttle
17th Apr 2011, 08:18
Ask Servisair in Liverpool if you can have theirs. I think it only gets used as a paperweight as they never seem to be able to answer it when called. :}