PDA

View Full Version : Rotary vs Fixed wing

WILCO.XMG
9th Apr 2011, 20:22
Hey guys.

Just a little question that I hope some of you more learned people could answer for me.

At the minute i'm studying for PPL exams however i'd also like to go for my PPL H at some time in the future.

The exams from what i can see are the same Air Law, Met, Nav, HF.

Is the material the same? Does having done your PPL exams mean you dont need to do the PPL H ones?

I read a maximum 6 hours fixed wing can go towards your rotary. Has this been changed?

And finally have any of you done both? Would you advise it? And have you any advice on the topic to give me.

Im planning on posting this in rotary section too to see if i can get more hits.

Thanks for reading all.

JTobias
9th Apr 2011, 20:42
Hi

All the exams are the same, so you wont have to re-do them, but you will have to take a helicopter specific technical paper . I think it is a maximum of 6 hours dispensation towards your rotary wing license if you have your fixed wing license but not the other way around.

I have both licenses and a few of my aviation buddies do also. I would recommend it, but it all depends on your personal objectives.

Joel:ok:

Qwikstop
9th Apr 2011, 21:28
Fixed wing pilots are credited with 10% of their total flight time as Pilot-in-Command up to a maximum of 6 hours towards a PPL(H).

Aircraft General and Flight Performance exams have helicopter-specific questions.

WILCO.XMG
9th Apr 2011, 21:47
Cheers for in input guys? Seems i only need to buy another two books then.

Have both you both licences? Would you advise anyone else on following through with it.

Pappa Delta
9th Apr 2011, 22:23
In Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 2.050 it says:
For the issue of a PPL(H), the holder of an aeroplane license shall pass PPL(H) theoretical knowledge examinations in the following topics:

Aircraft general knowledge
Flight performance and planning
Operational procedures
Principles of flight.

So what is it now. Aeroplane license is: PPL? CPL? ATPL?

I have an ATPL(A) and also looking for a JAA PPL helicopter. Since I passed all 14 exams for airplanes, must I do these 4 again?

Funny thing is that when you convert a PPL(H) issued by a non JAA member state (but ICAO), to a JAA license, according to Appendix 2 to JAR-FCL 2.015 you only need to pass a written examination in Air law and human performance/limitations.

So hypothetically, if I get a FAA PPL(H) and convert to JAA, I wouldn,t have to do any written test since I already did the Arlaw and Human performance for my ATPL(A).

Correct? Yes? No?

Gordy
10th Apr 2011, 00:26
Hardy Buck

With your experience, you can do a FAA CPL(H) add on to your JAA ATPL(A).
This course is 50 hours, compared to the FAA PPL(H) taking your 30 hours.

You might be better of just doing the 50 hour course and then come home with FAA CPL(H) !

Not quite. Among other things, 14 CFR 61.123 (h), (SEE HERE) (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=5ee7e759bbeec251a89d6d389ebbbd91&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.6.1.2&idno=14) states:

Hold at least a private pilot certificate issued under this part or meet the requirements of §61.73; and

Pappa Delta
10th Apr 2011, 10:58
To get an FAA license is not my concern, I also have FAA ATP aeroplane. But to be able to fly a helicopter on a JAA registration, you need at least a JAA PPL(H). This is what I want to get, the problem is that I don,t have much time to sit in a classroom to study for written exams that I have already taken for the aeroplane atpl.

So, to do a JAA PPL(H) when already done the 14 ATPL(A) exams , you need to do Aircraft Gen knowledge, Flight performance and Planning, Operational procedures and Principles of flight??

Or has it happened that you have a coffee with the CAA and you get specific authorizations based on an individual case depending on experience?

Anybody have experience with this?