PDA

View Full Version : Empire Test Pilot School, Test Pilot documentary by the BBC.

BlackandBrown
9th Apr 2011, 10:16
I don't know if any of you have seen these lately but they are great. Very entertaining. Enjoy!

YouTube - Test Pilot Ep.1 (part 1/4)

YouTube - Test Pilot Ep.1 (part 2/4)

YouTube - Test Pilot Ep.1 (part 3/4)

YouTube - Test Pilot Ep.1 (part 4/4)

bvcu
13th Apr 2011, 21:41
brings back memories ! series was never repeated or sold as a video/dvd. the laugh at the time was the moustache..........

tkoelzer
14th Apr 2011, 11:35
First time I've seen the film. You are right about the moustache ... seems like most of us had one. For as long as they took to film this (most of the course) there's not much there in the film. Kind of disappointing. You should never let test pilots act in movies. They are terrible at it.

John Farley
15th Apr 2011, 12:20
tkoelzer

Things may not be as bad as you presume - the 4 vids posted here constitute only the first episode of the TV series.

Sydy
15th Apr 2011, 14:18
Very nice vídeos. I wish they'd sell the complete series.

All the best and thanks for sharing,

Sydy

coldair
15th Apr 2011, 16:41
A friend has the complete series on VHS, It's a great watch.

However, I doubt he will lend it out but I wonder if he would be allowed to upload to Youtube, I doubt it somehow.

Perhaps a bit of lobbying to the BBC will encourage them to show again on BBC4 or one of their other channels.

It was a total of six, half hour programmes and fitted nicely onto a three hour VHS tape.

I'll have to have a word to see if he can upload to a DVD for me but due to copyright issues I guess he would not be able to share them.

Keep a good look out on Youtube, with luck other epesodes will emerge.

Please don't p.m. me for the tape, I don't have it but it is a fantastic three hours of viewing.

coldair

tkoelzer
16th Apr 2011, 14:27
Not paying attention. Now noticed this was only episode 1. I'd like to get a copy if it is available. There was an accompanying book by Brian Johnson that is available used at various book sites, same title, ISBN 0-563-20502-4 if anyone is interested.

coldair
17th Apr 2011, 14:25
Guys, have a good search around on Google.

I have just found this at £6.50
Classic Aviation TV | Rare and deleted technical aviation and motoring tv. (http://www.freewebs.com/thousandways/apps/webstore/products/show/631584)

No doubt eBay will be worth a look too.

I can certainly recommend this :)

Happy hunting all ;-)

edit - I have just noticed that the above DVD is a copy of a VHS and is poor in parts. However, for the price i seems a good deal.

tkoelzer
18th Apr 2011, 03:12
I've ordered one, we'll see how it looks. Thanks for the find.

Got the DVDs. Quality barely satisfactory, but worth the cost. Would like a better quality copy but this one will do. Has anyone queried BBC about burning some DVDs for cost? I'll check and see if ETPS has a source.

bvcu
18th Apr 2011, 08:45
the lightning episode is on youtube as well. the team restoring XS422 have been given the rights to that episode as there is no intention to release the series apparently. did record it all originally but havent checked the video for some time so dont know if its still useable . nice to look back on oneself with hair and none of it grey.........

tkoelzer
19th Apr 2011, 13:32
It was here yesterday, where is the link. Did they pull it?

coldair
1st May 2011, 18:27
Having read through this thread I ordered 'Test Pilot' from Classic Aviation ( I have no connection with them )

The DVD arrived within days and I was very pleased with the quality and Quick delivery.

They also have other aviation DVDs and I expect I will order some more from them.

I can certainly reccomend these guys :)

coldair

Flyboy380
27th May 2011, 16:56
Great series. Having read the thread, I too purchased the DVD. As stated it arrived within a few days. I then made a proper fried breakfast, a large cup of brewed coffee and watched the whole bally series in one sitting.... Tip Top!!