PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for "Handling the Big Jets"

STOLskunkworks
9th Apr 2011, 04:12
Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that would be the modern equivalent to "Handling the Big Jets" by D.P. Davies?

I have read it many times and have yet so find a similar text. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

PPRuNe Dispatcher
9th Apr 2011, 11:07
"Fly The Wing" by Jim Webb gets good reviews....

STOLskunkworks
9th Apr 2011, 13:38
Thanks.

Any other suggestions?

STOLskunkworks
3rd May 2011, 11:55
So I have gotten fly the wing and so far although it is a good book I still find its not as detailed as Handling the big jets. I would like something that has more detail about things like flight testing and certification requirements of modern jets.

Any other suggestions?

Genghis the Engineer
3rd May 2011, 16:40
AC 25-7A (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library%5CrgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/C2614E27B49BF38686256BA300696689?OpenDocument) ?

G

aerolearner
3rd May 2011, 23:01
In case you don't know them already, I would suggest you to take a look at the following publications:

"Getting to Grips with Aircraft Performance" by Airbus
"Jet Transport Performance Methods" by Boeing

By the way, you have a PM. ;)

BR,

Aerolearner

Pugilistic Animus
4th May 2011, 20:20
replacement for HTBJ?....HTBJ....:}:}:}

john_tullamarine
5th May 2011, 00:55
This may not be the best forum for this sort of question.

However, a few comments -

(a) HTBJ is a nice pilot level text without too much in the way of mathematical rigour or terror.

However, a well read line pilot will have delved into a few other books in addition.

(b) Hurt's USN NAVWEPS 00-80T-80 warrants a read

(c) AC 23-8/25-7 are essential reading if you want to play with the Design Standards (FAR23/25)

(d) the Airbus books on performance and weight control are good reads and not too heavy

(e) the Boeing Ops Eng training reference is solid going and not really useful to those without a sound grounding in undergraduate level mathematics

(f) Mair and Birdsall's Aircraft Performance is a typically useful basic text without too much frightening mathematics.

(g) Dick Woods' Aviation Safety Programs is basic stuff for pilots

STOLskunkworks
12th May 2011, 12:41
Hi Guys,

Those are some good suggestions which I am sure will keep me stocked up with light bedtime reading for a few decades.
:8
Cheers

A37575
2nd Jun 2011, 12:37
However, a well read line pilot will have delved into a few other books in addition.

Do WRLP's exist in OZ? :D

mutt
2nd Jun 2011, 19:24
light bedtime reading "Jet Transport Performance Methods" by Boeing

Guaranteed to put you to sleep in seconds :):)

Mutt