PDA

View Full Version : AIR NZ starts hiring

Sqwark2000
8th Apr 2011, 18:48
Air NZ has rung people from their hold pool and offered start dates on the 777....

belowMDA
8th Apr 2011, 22:31
Excellent news, take the first position that is offered! Though I suspect that lesson will have been hammered home to anyone who turned down a course in preference for another.

c100driver
8th Apr 2011, 22:42
The second officer position on the B777 is the only one on offer (B767 and B744 are on their way out so not likely), as first officer entry is no longer an option so there should be nothing else to wait for!:ugh:

Dragun
8th Apr 2011, 23:26
Anyone got any info on how the pay and conditions differ to QF? I've never really heard much about Air New Zealand pay.

Sassy91
9th Apr 2011, 07:03
no doubt those guys/gals are all from eagle/cook/nelson

custardchucker
9th Apr 2011, 07:36
No not all some are from the RNZAF - the weird thing is they are taking some guys out of order in the yes letter sequence. Those that have been skipped still in the hold pool apparently but as HR are now in charge of it all they may not meet HR's reqs.

Bongo Bus Driver
9th Apr 2011, 08:24
Don't get too excited as it appears the goal posts have been moved again.

HR have taken over recruitment and I believe two Air Nelson captains, near the top of the yes letter list, have been passed over as the "criteria has changed". Two Air Nelson FOs, both ex RNZAF still met the criteria and congrates to them.

It appears the previous memo telling us mortals to remain loyal in the Link Group and build command time may have been less than accurate. :(:{:mad:

linedriva
9th Apr 2011, 09:54
Do Air New Zealand still have pilots overseas on leave without pay?

kiwilad
9th Apr 2011, 11:32
Yes, still a number of Air NZ on LWOP.
Join Air NZ now and how long in back seat 10-12years minimum is my guess.:eek::eek:
They always take guys out of order from the yes pile. Very frustrating.:ugh::ugh:
All from link this time round I hear anyone confirm?

c100driver
9th Apr 2011, 23:29
The rumour I heard that a few had turn down the offer as they didn't want a SO position.

Bongo Bus Driver
10th Apr 2011, 03:59
JB
The criteria could change daily. One day it could be that your Link employer does not want you to go because they are running staff numbers so tight that they cannot afford to lose you so your ranking is lowered. The next day you could be elevated in the rankings because you are mates with a management pilot. The ranking could even be effected by whether you are a Fed or in ALPA.

No one will ever know.

What HR do not realize is that they have seriously set back the Recruit to Group tactic which was designed to create a career path that rewards loyalty for those who join and remain in the group. One of the Air Nsn guys, passed over, turned down a JC interview when they got their yes letter, and waited a few years for their call. Do you think any pilot is going to believe in RTG now.

The RWC could be very interesting not to mention negotiations at the end of this year!

Luke SkyToddler
10th Apr 2011, 08:05
kiwilad do u mean 10 years in jump seat before RHS :bored: , or 10 years to LHS?

Surely no self respecting turboprop captain would tolerate not getting a landing for a decade :uhoh:

kiwilad
10th Apr 2011, 08:19
In the back seat before RHS.
Would be very lucky to get on the 737 as fo first in. Once it is gone you will be s/o only. With more common types then less movement. No 747 shortly, 777 possible common with 787 if it arrives and a320 regional/domestic.
So if joining now my guess would be minimum 10yrs as s/o, currently 25ish+ to wide body command.
Is going to be interesting to see how far up the current 737 fo roster the push onto s/o goes, as they don't have seniority for a320 fo.

c100 if they turned it down hoping for a RHS then I will be very very surprised if they accept a job as all I hear is all future jobs s/o as first point of entry.

Time will tell. My 5cents.

Split Flap
10th Apr 2011, 22:42
What HR do not realize is that they have seriously set back the Recruit to Group tactic which was designed to create a career path that rewards loyalty for those who join and remain in the group. One of the Air Nsn guys, passed over, turned down a JC interview when they got their yes letter, and waited a few years for their call. Do you think any pilot is going to believe in RTG now.

Hit the nail square on the head there BBD. They have no idea that what they have just done by moving the goalposts to people that have already had the nod has put serious doubts in the minds of people waiting for the call, if it has all been worth it. People have put thier lives and careers "On hold" for years in some cases and have now been told that they dont cut it anymore. As you have said I know of several cases where people have turned down interveiws with other operators, as they have had the nod from AirNZ, that loyalty has now been rewarded by a shafting. A totally shabby way to treat people. However I would expect nothing less once HR got involved.

If the recruitment team were aiming for loyalty in the RTG process, they have just gone and destroyed a fair amount of any trust that people had in the process.

I have spoken to somebody directly affected by this latest change in tactic.
The rumours are flying around the link carriers faster than a tsunami in japan.

Gnadenburg
10th Apr 2011, 22:49
I know of a guy who was SO at AirNZ for 9 years before actually getting to fly the aircraft. Still, earning an annual amount of 6 figures (including allowances) and having one of the easiest jobs in the world with no responsibilty can't be that bad can it? 5 years would be ideal, with a widebody command after 20 if we could pick and choose. It would be nice having a crystal ball to gaze into though for those of us still planning what career path to go down...

What you have to do is look forward 10 to 20 years and wonder will AIR NZ still be here? Or structured in its current form.

If the answer is probably not, you are taking a huge professional gamble in being a long time S/O & F/O in a legacy carrier. Sure, lazy days for awhile, but you could well be putting off the inevitable. You may need to eventually suck it up as a low cost Kiwi pilot or venture abroad. And again, what will the situation abroad be in 10 years + ? Probably pretty ugly.

A legacy career is a huge gamble now IMO!

Bypass ratio
10th Apr 2011, 23:05
And to think I got my Command on the Boeing 777 at Emirates in 3 years & 7 months............you guys are crazy:ugh:

blah blah blah
10th Apr 2011, 23:14
Gnadenburg - you're dreaming mate. Air NZ is probably in one of the strongest positions out of any airline. There will be many long careers to be had there.

Bypass ration - crazy is as crazy does. Ill take 5-10 years as an SO in NZ over a command in the ME any day. If it works for you then great, but to me crazy is wanting to spend any time up there at all.

Luke SkyToddler
11th Apr 2011, 00:44
Thats right blah blah obviously crazy, considering that he'll make more cash in hand in his first 10 years at EK than you will in your whole career at ANZ (if you spend 25 of those years waiting for the LHS) - and he's got the option to come home at 45 and buy the million dollar bach at whanga and the big fishing boat and live the dream while you're still serving bikkies to the skipper and FO :ouch:

shallow gene pool
11th Apr 2011, 00:55
To turn down an S/O's position to wait for a 737 F/O's position would be crazy! As stated earlier, there is no seniority in the current 737 F/O ranks (it's all in the S/O ranks) so as the phase out to the A320 happens most current S/O's will most likely exercise their seniority to upgrade. I would be very surprised if ANZ took any 737 F/O's off the street.
Anyway, I have been an S/O now for over 7 years and apart from the odd bout of despondency I have found the job both rewarding as well as damn good fun. As far as time to a seat movement, I could have (although didn't for several reasons including lock-on) shifted to an A320 F/O's job at around 5 years.
For a small town boy I have been able to see the world. Yes, the London trips are long and if you have a young family etc it's damn hard at times (the longest LHR tod is 14 days). However, crews are generally fantastic and you hardly ever get someone trying to teach you how to suck eggs.
I don't believe that it will be 10-12 years in the middle seat. In the next 5 years ANZ has 120 guys going over 65. In the next 10 years it's 260 and our current average pilot age is just under 50! Even with no middle order attrition or expansion there has to be good movement just based on retirements. The over 65 age law change happened 5 years ago this November so things will start moving again. If you are a Link driver not sure what to do, overall, the job is definitely better however you will never have the crew cameraderie that you get within the Link carriers. I did 4 years with link and while I had a great time there, I would never go back to contantly late schedules, tight turnarounds, min time overnights in crappy hotels, millions of sectors per day, turbulence, icing, and all for less money than an S/O!
My two cents worth!

Gnadenburg
11th Apr 2011, 01:13
Gnadenburg - you're dreaming mate. Air NZ is probably in one of the strongest positions out of any airline. There will be many long careers to be had there.

It's your call mate. I'm not being a Cassandra, I'm saying that an investment in a legacy carrier is potentially a very risky consideration. Especially as a long term F/O.

I know. I was dumped out of one as a 9 year F/O and had to leave my home shores and started again abroad. I have been abroad for 7 years and can retire at 40; or choose a flying career where money is a firm secondary consideration.

My opportunity doesn't exist any longer. Perhaps, in a decade, nor will the Middle East option. Which is an ugly scenario if Air NZ restructures, is bought out or any number of possibilities in the next 15 to 20 years.

Capt Kremin
11th Apr 2011, 03:04
As QF have shown, any airline is one Board meeting away from a radical change in direction. Those who joined QF in the last five years as SO's may have thought they had a job for life. Maybe... maybe not.

blah blah blah
11th Apr 2011, 03:58
Luke - you are bang on, the Coromandel is just absolutely full of EK guys. 10 years and be able to retire? Dreaming.

haughtney1
11th Apr 2011, 05:12
Blah Blah Blah....

Well I'm one, and I've been at EK for considerably less time than that...:E

Just to clarify..our place is one road back from the beach at Whanga, we use it as an escape from the heat of the sandpit, plus it also provides the Wife, Kids, and myself a great bit of kiwiana etc etc when we need it. The place also pays for nearly half of its costs when rented out over the summer..easter...labour weekend etc etc.
There is NO was I could have afforded to do this living in NZ and paying the tax I'd have to on an equilvalent salary.
Goodluck to those going on the 777, its a great jet......I told myself that as I thumped it into NZCH the other day..:8

Luke SkyToddler
11th Apr 2011, 06:00
You might be surprised Blah blah, I know another one who's just bought 600 acres of prime south waikato dairy country and he's only been about 5 years in the desert as well. I'd put good money on him being home for good within another few years.

Trouble is of course that it's hypothetical for these Link guys because you still can't get into EK without some bus or boeing time already, so the boys & girls are double screwed - goalposts shifted by Air NZ when they thought they were on a "yes" letter, and no jet time they can leverage to go overseas and make their fortunes either.

There's still CX but that is a young bloke's game as well, the problem is that the longer these guys sit around getting their chain yanked and waiting for start dates, the window of opportunity will slip them by.

And I hold my hand up, I did 3 years in the sandpit and then bailed out because I hated it and so did my family. Wasn't with EK but. Now I'm on contract in Asia, but I still reckon I'll be able to get home with my financial future pretty well sorted before my kids hit double digits.

At least I don't have to go away on 14 day London trips, that sounds like a recipe for divorce even worse than the sandpit if you ask me :(

waren9
11th Apr 2011, 07:58
Trouble is of course that it's hypothetical for these Link guys because you still can't get into EK without some bus or boeing time already, so the boys & girls are double screwed

Not unless they want to sell thier arses to JQNZ, which I think a few of them have decided to do.

Metro man
11th Apr 2011, 09:32
Another issue is, do you want your kids growing up in the desert and speaking with funny accents

I would have thought growing up outside NZ meant they would avoid having a funny accent.:E

Surely Doobye isn't that bad ?

haughtney1
11th Apr 2011, 09:43
Yeah...what Metro said...:ok:

My kids speak with surrey accents anyway :E

NoseGear
11th Apr 2011, 11:50
Air NZ is a Catch22 type of job, you can live in NZ, which we would all love to do, but not really be able to afford the "lifestyle" we all allude to being highly paid professionals(yes,yes, :rolleyes::E I know).

OR, one can move overseas in search of the dollar and sacrifice the "full time" lifestyle in NZ by being able to afford the lifestyle, just not be there full time to enjoy it. And I'd be very very surprised if Air NZ management are not fully aware of this fact.

I really don't believe that anyone's choice is right or wrong, as for me, if I could work for Air NZ, I think I'd enjoy the job, I certainly did enjoy my time with Air Nelson. However, I have to say, my current job is very interesting and with a large range of destinations, the challenges keep me on my toes, not to mention the pay is pretty good.

To each his own, and as long as you and your family are happy with your choice, then that's the right choice for you.:ok:

Nosey

PS blah blah, you've obviously never been to Zinc.....:eek::E

Cpt Link Hog
11th Apr 2011, 12:00
Can S/O time count toward actual Jet time? as EK ect require 2k to even apply?

SkySurfin
11th Apr 2011, 19:04
Air NZ is the "perfect job" if your a pilot who wants to live in New Zealand.

Many people are caught up with time to promotion, but why? with Air NZ you can have the dream lifestyle from day one? I work for Air NZ as an SO on the 777, I know ive got a long time before i get upgraded, but ive accepted that and to be honest it doesnt both me. The job as an SO alone is fantastic....... 10-15 days off in NZ a month, 6 figure salary, travel the world staying at the best hotels getting fantastic allowances, great bunch of pilots to fly with and the ability to almost build your roster through the bidding system (within reason!). If your looking for a job that will give you the best lifestyle then this would be hard to go past.... Sure i wont make as much money as the guys at EK etc, but im much happier here. I had the chance to fly for CX, and could have chased EK and the middle east, but im glad i didnt. It might take me 20 years to get my command on a widebody, but im going to really enjoy my time getting there, and when i do...... I will be on a 300k+ salary, 7 weeks leave a year, high bid and day off satisfaction and the best part is i havnt had to leave home to get there. I appreciate everyones case is different, and that some guys will want to chase the dough overseas. Good on them for doing it, they will reap the rewards for sticking it out, i just hope they are happy.

As for the current movement in Air NZ...... There are 8 guys who have got starts for May and June on the 777, judging by the current situation there isnt likely to be anymore this year. Its been said earlier in this thread, but i will say it again- From now on ALL pilots will enter the company as SOs (so dont holdout for a 737 slot!), most if not all of these starts will be on the 777. This is due to the phaseout of the 733 and the 744. The recruit to group concept and cadetship scheme are new to NZ and have the potential to change the dynamics of NZs professional aviation scene. My concern is that if RTG and cadetships gain momentum then it is likely that Air NZ will source all its pilots via these avenues and a generation of current Link pilots will miss out on the opportunity to ever fly Air NZ mainline. NOTE: RTG will employ pilots directly into the Air NZ link group (eagle/nelson/cook) but i believe it is likely these guys will be earmarked for Air NZ mainline from day one and will bunny-hop the guys currently there. I hope i am wrong, but its fairly clear the company is keen to get this schemes up and running.

All the best to the guys on "yes" letters, i hope you get starts soon.

My 2 cents worth.....

Sassy91
11th Apr 2011, 19:15
Money vs lifestyle.... Will take lifestyle any day. See a lot of posts here talking about how guys want to save up and retire at 50-55. So let's say you join EK at 30, so are you saying you are going to waste 20 years looking forward to retirement? What do you think retirement is? Some heaven? Your going to waste 20 years of your life, your prime years, waiting to become old? and you are going to come back to nz with your teenage kids who don't have any mates in nz, and only been here on vacation, what are they going to do? In my opinion spending 20 years here on "lower pay" is better than anywhere else in the world, and while you "thump" your 777-300ER into amazing destinations every day, what is your wife doing at home? Sitting in your "mansion" in the middle of the desert pulling her hair out. Sorry but I'm not that selfish to do that to someone I love.*And while I don't work in nz yet, I'm definatetly coming back

blah blah blah
11th Apr 2011, 19:20
Nosegear - Zinc? Dunno what you are talking about.

Not saying Air NZ is perfect but as I said earlier crazy is as crazy does, and for me staying in NZ with ANZ is the least crazy option. Going to the ME would be horrible for me, spent too much time there and never want to go back. I just have to laugh though when guys jump on an ANZ thread and start bagging the outfit in comparison to EK. As someone else said earlier, just look at all the threads talking about how bad it is in the ME, but try to find one from an ANZ guy who is comparably unhappy.

Each to their own.

Blah

haughtney1
12th Apr 2011, 03:42
As you said Blah Blah, each to their own, although to be fair, I think I said in a previous Air NZ thread, my opinion of the the place based on friends I have there is very similar to yours, its just that when I started flying there was f#ck all chance of even a link job..so in the absence of opportunities in NZ..etc.
Sassy91, I see from your profile you are 20, and reading between the lines you appear to want to convey the impression of having an old head on young shoulders....so heres the benefit of little more experience in the industry than you, along with probably a more rounded opinion.
let's say you join EK at 30, so are you saying you are going to waste 20 years looking forward to retirement? What do you think retirement is? Some heaven?
No I'm not wasting 20 years, I'm enjoying them...golf, travel (Seychelles, Male so far..with a trek up Killaminjaro planned in the not to distant future). My wife has the luxury of being a stay at home mum to our kids (try doing that on one income in NZ living in the main centres with any kind of mortgage) and thats merely a snap shot.
and you are going to come back to nz with your teenage kids who don't have any mates in nz, and only been here on vacation, what are they going to do?
Well with the benefit of a bit of life experience in another part of the world..I would expect they'd have very few if any problems intergrating, in fact I'd go further and suggest they would appreciate all that NZ has to offer.
what is your wife doing at home? Sitting in your "mansion" in the middle of the desert pulling her hair out. Sorry but I'm not that selfish to do that to someone I love
As before Sassy, shes a stay at home mum and loving it, thats not to say she likes the summer..far from from it, but thats why we have a place in Whanga along with open invitations to places in the UK, SA, Thailand, the US, Canada, HKG, Switzerland and of course Oz...
So its really about how you make a situation work for you..rather than dismissing people out of hand because you disagree.
FWIW, at this stage I'll be out of here in less than 10 years, and will be in my mid 40's.
You never know..I might apply to Air NZ:ok:

Lastly re the PPrune moaning, well a quick check of the number of posters who serially moan wine etc etc, its about 10 guys.....out of 2600.

Once again, best of luck to all the guys/girls who get start dates at Air NZ...see you on the ramp or in the customs lines at AKL, CHC, BNE, MEL, SYD, PER, HKG, PEK, LAX, SFO, LHR and eventually YVR :E

distracted cockroach
12th Apr 2011, 04:48
I'm pleased everyone is happy where they are...what more could one ask?
The Air NZ RTG policy is one that should be utilised to allow a flow through for Link guys who want to go onto the bigger iron. If that's not how it's going to work, then guys have a right to be aggrieved.
Has a combined seniorty list been mooted? That's something for the Union guys to consider. As always, there would be a major excrement scrap over who fits where initially, but once it was in place it would surely give everyone a chance to get the position they want...eventually. Hell, there may even be some 65+ 747 guys who want to see out their years as a Dash skipper in Nelson or Tauranga! It seemed to work for the Freedom guys who got "integrated"....although there may be some short term pain for some of the ex skippers when their "sweetheart deal" runs out.
Maybe something worth discussing on those "long" sectors.
Air NZ already offers the choice of long haul or short haul for those who prefer lengthy days off or most nights at home. Long haul also suits the "commuters" who can take advantage of the cheaper or alternative lifestyle downcountry in return for time and money spent getting to and from work. As stated above, the money as an S/O is far from minimum wage and the company is as secure as any, and more so than most...so future prospects aren't all bad. There are many advantages to living in NZ....I know enough pilots overseas to appreciate that, but the price is lower salaries and longer...much longer....time to command. Having said that, who knows? There are 737 skippers who got those jobs with less than 4 years in the company, so things can vary.
Look at the options and choose what you prefer....the expat life isn't for everyone, but it can have it's rewards. All depends on which side you like your bread buttered.

Bongo Bus Driver
12th Apr 2011, 08:09
Is there any point in the Link pilots heading overseas with just turboprop experience?

Aussie
12th Apr 2011, 08:56
Qatar taking guys with only turboprop exp.... but i would read the ME forums first if i were you :eek:

Sqwark2000
12th Apr 2011, 09:17
Has a combined seniorty list been mooted?

There is a GOP (group opportunities) list concept under consideration atm, possibly some news about that late next month.

The theory so far I've heard is at mainlines next negotiation (2012) the Link group seniority list will be added to the bottom of mainlines seniority.

No idea how they will combine the Link group's lists but possibly some caveat about not being able to bid using the GOP for a couple years or something similar.

BO0M
12th Apr 2011, 09:33
A GOP number for the regional drivers will be required before any recruit to group concept will be accepted by ALPA.

I would imagine the GOP number will based on your staff travel joining date. So if you have stayed with the group and not left you will have a higher number than those who have or started later. For the regional drivers everybody will be given their number based on this and regardless of their current position or company. A line will be drawn in the sand for each division of the group so nobody can jump you on the seniority list for a command ect.

It is actually more straight forward than it sounds and would help all parts of the company retain pilots, experience and reduce training costs. It will also allow the recruit to group to happen without anybody who has shown loyalty being shafted.

Will it happen???? In all my years with the group this is the closest I have seen it, but I suggest you all believe nothing till it is signed.

distracted cockroach
12th Apr 2011, 10:06
Damn...and here was me thinking I came up with it first!:D

Bongo Bus Driver
12th Apr 2011, 10:40
A GOP list would be great. But a GOP list assumes everyone has meet the criteria.

What we have seen recently is the re-ranking of those on Yes letters due to changed criteria. When captains higher on the yes letter list are re-ranked below fos then the suggestion is that command time in the Links is less worthy than some other criteria. This is in total contradiction to a previous memo put out saying to remain in the Links and get command time.

I believe we will see a GOP list at Air NZ but bids will be based not just on your number but also whether you met HRs criteria. Those joining the group from now on will do so via RTG recruiting and will be deemed worthy by HR. Those currently in the group will have no idea where they stand unless HR tell them.

In the end its Air NZs sand pit just tell us the rules for playing in it.

On Guard
12th Apr 2011, 22:39
Why not Oz? 3 years ago when told to wait for Air NZ I bit the bullet and paid for a rating, subsequently moved to VB. Command is approx 3 years away where guys currently after tax earn above mid 200's NZD. All this and I'm a 2.5hr flight from NZ.

As an F/O its around 200k NZD.

goldfish64
13th Apr 2011, 07:24
"very high 200's NZD"...After tax? Are you sure about that?

On Guard
13th Apr 2011, 09:05
Sorry got my words wrong. Re editied. Mid 200's after which would be over 300 before.

blah blah blah
13th Apr 2011, 09:13
On Guard - VB FO on 200k? Not a chance. Gave me a chuckle though.

Bushwackernz
13th Apr 2011, 20:51
At present some guys have been S/O's for 7 years and still not senior enough for an A320 F/O slot. Time to a wide body F/O slot? who knows. When I started people complained how they waited 8 years for widebody 767 F/O job, followed by the comment...."but don't worry that will never happen again". It would be 10 years plus at the moment.

As far as all these guys reaching 65? true, there are many turning 65 but a high percentage of them won't be retiring.

On Guard
13th Apr 2011, 22:25
Blah.
I,m converting to NZD for the AirNZ comparison. Easy 200k. Base converts to 165 add allowances, working a few days off, super and you will be above 200.

distracted cockroach
13th Apr 2011, 22:52
Just looking at logbooks/seniority lists, you are right, there are guys who have done 7 years as S/Os before an A320 job......but all of them had the opportunity to have a "hands on" position as a 737 F/O if they had wanted it. Until very recently initial new-hire positions were either S/O 777/747/767 or F/O 737. Base salary is the same for all. Allowances and time off vary with fleet. There were plenty of guys who took the opportunity to switch from one to the other.....started on the 737 and bid over to an S/O, or started as an S/O and bid onto the 737. Horses for courses.
With the phase out of the 747 and 737, all new entrants will be S/Os as the payscale for an A320 F/O is higher than the S/O and 737. As a result, guys are bidding from S/O to A320 F/O. This will means some current 737 F/Os won't have seniority to retain an F/O position when the 737 is replaced by the A320, so they will end up as S/Os. Likewise there will be 737 skippers without the seniority for an A320 command, so they will end up somewhere else...possibly A320 RHS as some of them are very junior (or maybe F/O 767 at best)
The wild card in the pack is the oldies and when they decide to retire. That will create upward movement for everyone, and word is there may be quite a few in the next few years. The delay in the 787 has also thrown a spanner in the works as that would have stirred the bid list around a bit as well.
All I can say is give it time....remember, as everyone here has said, you don't join Air NZ for a quick command.....there are other places you can get that....Jetstar and Pac Blue if you want to stay in the country, numerous other places if you are happy to travel. The situation hasn't really changed for10 years, so it's nothing new. No-one can say they are disappointed because movement is slower than they expected, because it's no slower than 10 years ago!
Meanwhile, there are other advantages to being employed by the National Carrier....generally stable company, reasonable pay and conditions, career progression (admittedly slow), good aircraft and route structure, choice between short/long haul (eventually) and pretty reasonable people to fly with (in general) and even the option of "lifestyle commuting". It's not all bad!

Bongo Bus Driver
14th Apr 2011, 04:27
Horserun I hope the national carrier does not pass over Link guys who have stayed and remained loyal to the group in favour of those who have left and bought jet time with the opposition. Having said that there are a few Yes letter holders who were told it was OK so went off and did it. It would suck if they were hampered returning to the group.

goldfish64
14th Apr 2011, 09:59
@On Guard "and you will be above 200"...Is that before or after tax?

On Guard
16th Apr 2011, 02:11
Before and in NZD

Inverted Flat Spin
19th Apr 2011, 06:23
Word is out - all yes letters will have to re-interview for Air New Zealand.

Bongo Bus Driver
19th Apr 2011, 08:57
By the looks of it Horse leaving the Links to get Jet time is the best option. At least then you have a qualification for the sandpit if the call does not come. If you stay in the Links your options are very limited.

mattyj
19th Apr 2011, 10:53
Fair..FAIR!!

..when has fair ever had anything to do with aviation?

black snapper
19th Apr 2011, 23:53
Nepotism sux!

Preferred training providers, preferred applicants given priority interviews etc.

Obviously some string pullers high up in NZ must have young'uns coming through.

:=

waren9
20th Apr 2011, 00:17
Black Snapper

Having read the email to all group pilots, I doubt thats the case. Anyway, if you have a young'un coming through yourself, get them in to one of these preferred training outfits.

"Who you know" has always been a large part of this game we play. Its how the world goes round and aint going away any time soon.

I have been passed over in favour of others' sons, just like many others here. I have also been offered jobs on a "who you know" basis as well. Goes both ways.

haughtney1
20th Apr 2011, 11:15
Mayby Warren you weren't as cute or plyable as the other sons? :}

shallow gene pool
30th May 2011, 21:46
Hey heard a rumour recently that Air NZ is trying to do something about the number of commuting long haul pilots they now have on their books. The Rugby World Cup has them worried about whether their crew will be able to make it to work when load factors go through the roof during the 6 or so weeks of the event. Supposedly this has been the catalyst to revisiting the whole commuting/out-of-base-domiciled-pilot issue. Rumoured options include making new-hires sign agreements to reside in Akl and restricting staff travel (for those using it to get to work). Apparently ALPA management have been told about this project but as of yet nothing has been communicated to the troops. Could be a way of throwing the cat amongst the pigeons as the company wants the pilots to give up the 35 in 7 rule as well as adopt a longevity pay scheme. Can anyone shed any light?

waren9
31st May 2011, 08:46
Staff travel is always frought but played carefully can work. Employees have never been able to use high load factors as an excuse for not showing.

Short of withdrawing staff travel completely it would be virtually impossible to police. Everyone will just register a mates AKL address.

Tony340a
31st May 2011, 09:11
Have the current Conditional offer of employment contract

Page 3 ...
By accepting the terms of this offer you agree to reside in Auckland.

Not sure if that is just for the Type Rating??? suspect not

apache
31st May 2011, 09:29
does it say how long you have to agree to reside in AKL for?

shallow gene pool
31st May 2011, 10:11
Legally speaking, can a company actually stipulate exactly where an employee resides? So where does Auckland actually start and finish?

Tony340a
1st Jun 2011, 06:29
No, just states...By accepting the terms of this offer you agree to reside in Auckland.

It goes on ...
Currently company policy dictates that all Pilots be based in and operate out of Auckland.However, this policy is based on operational requirements and could change in the future.The company reserves the right to transfer you to any of its operational bases,and in this regard no assurance can be given regarding the length of stay at any base. etc