PDA

View Full Version : Penang

slowstream
7th Apr 2011, 16:53
I hope someone can give me some insight to living in Penang!

I have a wife and two young daughters, I am looking at a position that would have us living in one of the company bases being Penang.

We've been doing some research on the area, international schooling seems to be expensive, although cheaper than HKG & SIN. Housing seems to be all over the place in pricing, both rental & sales.

I hope that this part does not offend anyone, but its a valid concern. We found out that Penang is a Islamic state, our Government Foreign Affairs Department is advising "High Caution due to Terrorist threats for the region. We also found out that crime seems to be on the rise there, such as rape up by 95%.

I don't want to bring my family into an area that is dangerous or harms way!

Can someone who lives in the area shed some light on life in Penang from a western perspective?

Thanks in advance

rancid
7th Apr 2011, 19:37
Penang ~ nice place to live!! penang hard rock awesome dude!!!

greenpeace98
7th Apr 2011, 19:42
All lies. Check my PM.

BANANASBANANAS
8th Apr 2011, 07:20
There are many differences between living in Penang and living in the west but Islamic terrorism is most certainly NOT one of them - just look at the number of westerners who choose Penang for their retirement. Crime is certainly on the rise but it is not racially or religiously driven, rather it is imho a simple consequence of the rapid influx of money from sales of high end condo units that are springing up all along the northern coastline just to the west of Georgetown.

My advice is to go and have a look, take your family (no matter what the expense) and make your own minds up. There are frustrations, no doubt about it, and it is 'developing' at a frightening pace so it is no longer a desirable place to live or vacation for some.

It has a rich cultural history, is multi ethnic and very friendly and (relative to most western cities) cheap.

But only you can make the decision whether or not to live there and to do that you need to spend a couple of weeks at least living there with your family.

Good luck.

slowstream
8th Apr 2011, 15:33
Thanks gang!

I really appreciate all the info & insight to Penang!

I will go have a look for myself before I have to make any decisions.

Thanks again

GlueBall
8th Apr 2011, 16:37
"We found out that Penang is a Islamic state..."

Last time I checked, Penang was still part of Malaysia...in fact, it's a place where Muslims are actually outnumbered by ethnic Chinese and ethnic Indians. :rolleyes:

a345xxx
8th Apr 2011, 16:49
There are terrorists in Penang .... They are called taxi drivers!

slowstream
8th Apr 2011, 21:50
LMAO! We have those here in Canada too (lol)