PDA

View Full Version : UPS Preliminary Accident Report

Waterskier
7th Apr 2011, 15:24
UPS Accident Preliminary Report (http://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/ePublication/admin/iradmin/Lists/Incidents%20Investigation%20Reports/Attachments/16/2010-GCAA%20Accident%20Preliminary%20Report%20B747%20DXB%20.pdf)

I just read through this report. I thought its interesting to note there were 4 safety recommendations... First one is to identify Excepted Li-Ion Batteries to crew (now in place at CX).

However the second recommendation is "Where feasible and appropriate, stow bulk shipments of lithium batteries in Class C cargo compartments or in locations where alternative fire suppression is available. " (ie. don't put Li-Ion on the main deck where there is no fire protection.) To my knowledge, this has not been implemented at CX and I think it would probably be good measure.

The last 2 recommendations deal with training and compliance with current DG laws.

Other items of note... Around 20,000 feet due to lack of oxygen, the Captain left his seat to try and get portable oxygen (this is the first time I've heard). It appears he never returned to the operation and the FO was single pilot from 20,000 feet to crash.

One last item of note, to expedite the arrival, the FO was doing 340 knots until 10nm final, at which point he selected gear lever down and speed brakes extended. However, the gear did not extend. This would greatly hamper any slow-down effort.

Just some food for thought. Its easy to play Monday morning quarterback (for example why Dubai vs. Doha) but I think the report shows many things did not go in their favor.