PDA

View Full Version : Tulla chaos

Wally Mk2
7th Apr 2011, 01:50
You wouldn't want to be a pax at Tulla this morning. Just heard on the ABC that QF/J* pax where in disarray as someone circumvented the security system by going the wrong way (in via an exit door) past a security screen point, or something like that.
Ya gotta love our security system!!:ugh:

No doubt this will get blown right out of proportion but it is entertaining I guess!

Wmk2

Cookie7
7th Apr 2011, 02:00
The alleged story is that a passenger in the QF/J area did enter a secure area via an exit door.
All passengers disembarked a/c and were rescreened. The ch9 news started with, "thousands of passengers stranded, as man enters the wrong way". :D

YPJT
7th Apr 2011, 02:46
As if flying a Jetstar bogan bus isn't bad enough, now pax have to put up with the incompetence of screening providers.

Procedures are in place to stop this very thing occurring.

The company should be given show cause as to why their contract should not be terminated.

Mr. Hat
7th Apr 2011, 03:34
The logic of the whole Security process really is amazingly stupid. Its a total sham and a waste of time and money.

This country is in a deep stall created by stupid people in powerful positions.

rudderless1
7th Apr 2011, 04:33
Isn't the rescreen exercise a bit pointless?
What r the cameras for etc etc
Either they should be able to identify and track the person,
or if they can't what's stopping the person dropping their
Package inside and getting rechecked with everyone else but now
alls clear?!?!

Teal
7th Apr 2011, 04:59
The logic of the whole Security process really is amazingly stupid.

Under the present systems, passengers, crew and airline companies are being hugely inconvenienced at a massive cost. Even the TSA acknowledges that airport security is a failure. A move from over-reliance on technology to an approach based on intelligence is required.

TSA head urges complete airport security overhaul (http://www.prisonplanet.com/tsa-head-urges-complete-airport-security-overhaul.html)

ANCDU
7th Apr 2011, 05:27
Arent the zig zag corridors and self closing doors supposed to stop this? I thought there was even someone stationed at these exits to stop this happening. Must admit though whenever i see someone stationed there they are either reading a book or playing on their phone.:rolleyes:

Qantas 787
7th Apr 2011, 08:27
ANCDU summed it up in one - they have someone standing there all the time and yet most of the time they are not watching anything.

QF should dump this 'security' firm because they are not doing thier job and costing the airline a lot of money because of basic screw ups like this.

Mind you, everytime I got through there they is overkill in terms of numbers and yet most of them are doing nothing.

mcgrath50
7th Apr 2011, 08:52
I've always found the melbourne mob more friendly and efficient than the lot in Sydney!

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Apr 2011, 09:17
Just heard on the ABC that QF/J* pax where in disarray as someone circumvented the security system by going the wrong way (in via an exit door) past a security screen point, or something like that.

Haha! I am not surprised - its all in the way the "in" and "out" are set up.

Went through Tulla last weekend, and saw this happen twice - with the perp intercepted by security staff from the "in" security screening area running after them, but if they weren't quick enough I can see how someone could disappear into the crowd.

Really stupid!

Dr :8

Mr.Buzzy
7th Apr 2011, 09:19
Maybe it was just one of hundreds of airside ground staff (baggage handlers, engineers etc) who are not screened, that went up to buy a coffee in the terminal????

I mean the lines of screened and unscreened are never crossed right?

A sad state our industry and indeed our country is in. Commonsense and practicality is replaced by law toughening morons chasing votes by public displays of legislation change!

bbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The Green Goblin
7th Apr 2011, 09:23
It's all a waste of time...

There should be screening at each gate. That way they can move the resources around as required and there isn't a giant bottle neck getting in to a massive sterile area! This would also benefit the retail side of the airport.

The old sterile area should be subject to spot checks and profiling with las Vegas style security centres.

Mr. Hat
7th Apr 2011, 09:35
This is what they do in KL GG. The Security staff move from gate to gate as required.

airtags
7th Apr 2011, 11:55
The question imore to the point is:
- what are the procedures in place for the re-opening of the terminal ...today as per last time ...NONE!!!

What was done after the chaos late last year when a similar incident happened .......NOTHING!!!!!!

QF head in the sand $afety Management $ystem dies again

AT

Capt Fathom
7th Apr 2011, 12:34
The terrorist's have won! They don't need to do any more!

Think about it. Boulia is a security controlled airport!! :ugh:

Son of a motherless goat, what hope have we got?

Talk about headless chooks!

Mr. Hat
7th Apr 2011, 12:43
Nothing to do with terrorists and everything to do with people creating work to stay in a job.

Wally Mk2
7th Apr 2011, 12:48
"CF" I agree & have said it all along the terrorists have won. Their target/s are not the buildings, not the people they are just tools to create it's the tyranny they have over us these days. They need not do another thing they have sown the seed now we simply self destruct under the weight of ever increasing paranoia.:ugh: Today's episode is just a small Eg of what we are afraid of, ourselves!!

"Mr Hat' yr correct with ref to the work it has created but if it where not for terrorism then the work would simply not be there.

There's no turning back now we have created an everlasting environment of fear, God 'elp us !

Wmk2

Hempy
7th Apr 2011, 12:50
Yeah, of course all those 'terrorists' that abound in our everyday society are just lurking around for those mental giants at airport security to make just one lapse and then *POW*... the next 9/11 :ugh:

If you cant see through this rubbish for what it is then you have your head in the sand. We (I include the Yanks in this collective) needed a new enemy after The Wall came down, how else to justify the $ spent on Defense each year? OH I KNOW, those Muslim fundamentalists that hate the West for giving Palestine to the Jews will do! Cool. Invade a couple of their countries just to make them dislike us a bit more and we can spread the fear! AND make millions charging them for reconstructing the **** we've just blown up! COOL. Now the dirty unwashed will LOVE us for protecting them against heathen 'foreigners'... :yuk:

p.s or maybe just 1/2 a bottle of Merlot too many..

glekichi
7th Apr 2011, 13:09
What is the world coming to?
The Goblin just suggested we do something the way it's done in....... yep...... NZ!

Worrals in the wilds
7th Apr 2011, 23:01
There should be screening at each gate.

It's a much better method but needs more staff. That's why you won't see it here anytime soon. You also need to remodel all the boarding gate areas so they're enclosed, and I can't see the airlines/airports paying for that either.

what are the procedures in place for the re-opening of the terminal ...today as per last time ...NONE!!!

The powers that be are having a delightful time telling boogyman stories and scaring themselves silly at national conferrences, so they're far too busy to address the practical issues around airport security. That would require planning and foresight. :rolleyes:

Terrey
8th Apr 2011, 00:08
What was the go with a pax leaving an A330 that was parked out on the apron thru the hole in the floor? Was picked up by a safety officer. Couldn't they wait?

compressor stall
8th Apr 2011, 00:11
Go to India. Noone inside the terminal building without ticket and passport.

Howard Hughes
8th Apr 2011, 02:04
Having just been to the US, I would take our crap security procedures over theirs anyday!

One hour in the queue at LAX, just to get in the terminal!:eek:

Worrals in the wilds
8th Apr 2011, 13:44
Go to India. Noone inside the terminal building without ticket and passport.
Been there done that through two major airports and one minor one, and I was most impressed with their airport security. Fast, efficient and thorough, with no major queues/aggro from staff, even though it consisted of primary x ray, secondary x ray/ pat down, tertiary random (or profiled? not sure) bag rummage/pat down and mandatory identification of check in luggage by each pax prior to bag load. I had an item they were unfamiliar with but despite me speaking next to no Hindi they dealt with it quickly, efficiently and without undue fuss. The last time we saw that level of security in Oz was in the first Gulf War and the queues stretched back to the carpark. Of course India is at war with a known terrorist nation and needs to do things properly.

It was also done by coppers not private contractors, and there was no shortage of well trained officers. Moral, anyone?

VH-Cheer Up
8th Apr 2011, 15:55
Imagine that.

Someone slips in through the back door at Qantas.