PDA

View Full Version : what books used for training

Clintonb
6th Apr 2011, 18:03
Can anyone tell me for the FAA licenses what books are used to study from for your PPL, IR and CPL??? at the moment i have the rotary handbook.
Would like to read through the books while i wait for my application to be processed.
Thanks for your help.
Safe flying

grumpytroll
7th Apr 2011, 00:24
I am unclear as to what it is you are trying to do. Are you studying for written tests or checkrides? Google up any of the FAA written tests and you will find many companies that will sell you the study guides for writtens. They have worked well for many years.

RMK
7th Apr 2011, 09:45
For FAA PPL(H) the following are a good start:

- Helicopter Pilots Manual Vol 1 Principles of Flight & Handling (Norman Bailey)
- Helicopter Pilots Manual Vol 2 Powerplants & Instruments (Norman Bailey)
- ASA Private Pilot Test Prep (ASA)
- Rotorcraft Flying Handbook (FAA DOT)
- Principles of Helicopter Flight (ASA)
- Private Oral Exam Guide (ASA)

ambidextrous
7th Apr 2011, 10:06
See PM!:ok:

EN48
7th Apr 2011, 12:26
what books are used to study from for your PPL, IR and CPL???

Well ... depends on what your want to achieve. Are you studying to learn principles, etc, or are you studying to pass a written test? Taking an FAA written exam involves knowing a bit of "testology." You can know the principles and not do all that well on the written exam because you dont know the key words the exam is looking for. (It is also possible to do reasonably well on the written exam without proficiency in the principles by using the right test prep guides.) For this purpose, I have found the ASA Test Prep manuals and Prepware software to be very useful. Also the Helicopter Fundamentals DVD for principles.

Gordy
7th Apr 2011, 13:16
How about asking the school at which you are waiting for your application to be processed. Some schools require you to have specific books.

Shawn Coyle
7th Apr 2011, 18:51
Shameless plug for Cyclic and Collective....

Gordy
7th Apr 2011, 18:58
Shawn----you should use the picture next time---has more impact:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/funnies/tumblr_kwj868tfNE1qzqv2ho1_500.png