PDA

View Full Version : Collective Noun

Dantruck
5th Apr 2011, 17:44
Gentlemen...and Ladies here present

Your suggestions please for the correct collective noun for a group of helicopters?

Gaggle?...Swarm?...Whoop?

I'll give you mine later. For now, your best, por favor.

Dan

Freddie838
5th Apr 2011, 18:02
A Throb of Helicopters

PT6ER
5th Apr 2011, 18:04
A "fatigue" of helicopters??

WASALOADIE
5th Apr 2011, 19:05
A Vortex

a Collective

TRC
5th Apr 2011, 19:22
A clatter.

Rigga
5th Apr 2011, 19:29
A Worry of whirlythings

krypton_john
5th Apr 2011, 19:32
A sucking financial vortex.

firebird_uk
5th Apr 2011, 20:45
A thrum, perhaps.

Bertie Thruster
5th Apr 2011, 20:59
A mash of choppers.

Dantruck
5th Apr 2011, 20:59
Very good so far, very good.

Forgot to say there's a bottle of cheap Rioja in it for the best suggestion (just for fun, Mr Mod).

Hope that'll fire up the Antipodean mob in a few hours, in any case. They can't get good wine down there, I hear :E

Dan
(Sitting here on the Med, bored and drinking cheap Rioja while it blows a 50kt gale outside. Bloomin' pool chairs are already in the pool. Thinking the BBQ will go next!) 21:57 UTC

goudie
5th Apr 2011, 21:02
A hover of helicopters. Don't repeat it too quickly!

HelipadR22
5th Apr 2011, 21:45
Judging by the rivalry of the differing factions on here I think it should be...

A Clique of Helicopters

:p

topendtorque
5th Apr 2011, 21:54
a small gathering would be - 'a mob',

a large gathering would be - 'a big mob'

a medium gathering would be - 'might be a fair size mob?'

anyone that has worked with aboriginals in stock camps will recognise that. note the question mark.

as far as wine down under, - 'there's a proper big mob of that, good stuff too!'

and we're always willing to experiment.

tet

heliwanab
5th Apr 2011, 22:03
a rapidly increasing overdraft facility?
bit of a mouthfull granted:rolleyes:

birrddog
6th Apr 2011, 02:05
For the noise abatement crow....

A flock of helicopters....

As in, there goes another flocking helicopter!

tcufroggie
6th Apr 2011, 03:17
Down here in Texas, I guess we could just call them a s$itload of helicopters. (since that is a standard form of measurement in the Lone Star state!!):ok:

griffothefog
6th Apr 2011, 03:48
A " bunch of knobs" comes to mind ... :E

bigglesbutler
6th Apr 2011, 06:12
More than one is normally a "Headache", especially when the blasted things won't work properly.

Si

Epiphany
6th Apr 2011, 07:26
A 'Scrotum' obviously.

Pandalet
6th Apr 2011, 08:27
Assuming the helicopters include helicopter pilots, an argument of helicopters seems appropriate...

Savoia
6th Apr 2011, 09:06
Given his former service in the Royal Regiment of Artillery (originally inspired by his love of the Cavalry) my godfather always applied equestrian terms to his aircraft, in addition to their female gender of course!

Following this trend the collective noun for horses would be:

Troop (military), team (agricultural), herd (wild), harras (hunting), stable (racing), breed (stud farm).

At garden parties my godfather would sometimes announce the arrival of friends flying in company as "the approach of the heavenly host"!

Sav

Up North
6th Apr 2011, 10:35
A Balancing Act.

lelebebbel
6th Apr 2011, 11:07
As if the english language needs any more collective nouns... have a look at this list:

Collective Nouns (http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/collnoun.htm)

surprising actually that helicopters aren't already in there.

Deemar
6th Apr 2011, 11:53
Well given that the list of collective nouns states that it is a "wing of aircraft", then presumably it is a "rotor of helicopters".

I still think my favourite collective noun is that used for a group of bankers - a wunch of bankers.

topendtorque
6th Apr 2011, 12:19
some development of the Pandalet theme might be a good idea.

I was in the VRD 'wing' for a while, or so the engraving on my personal shooter of the 12 gauge variety said.

as far as cheap plonk goes I do hope it is not this "stuff" that you have in mind. Posted on our ABC not long ago. jacob's creek we reckon may not be a stirling drop, but when in a jam no matter whether its been bolied, frozen, bounced around over a rough road or a vibrating rotary device, one can still drink it.

Typo gives away fake Aussie wine

Posted 1 hour 53 minutes ago
Fake bottles of Australia's best-selling Jacob's Creek wine have flooded the UK market, but were discovered because of a typo on the label.
Hundreds of bottles of imitation Jacob's Creek, which have made their way into bottle shops across the country, have already been seized.
The wine appears identical to the real thing apart from a tell-tale misspelling of Australia on the label - and the apparently horrible taste.
The fakes are believed to have come from China.
Trading standards officials are warning consumers to look for the label error when buying a bottle of one of the UK's favourite wines.

Pernod Ricard United Kingdom, owner of Jacob's Creek, has launched an investigation.

Planemike
6th Apr 2011, 12:55
I will offer either either a "lift of helicopters" or a "buzz of helicopters"........!!!

Planemike

Pandalet
6th Apr 2011, 13:59
*ROFL* about the fake Jacob's Crack over here being discovered because of the "horrible taste"! How would you tell?

I always thought the stuff was so plentiful in the UK because nobody in the Antipodes would drink the stuff, so they had to export it all.

Thomas coupling
6th Apr 2011, 14:07
Since there's a bottle of vino going:
a WHINE OF HELICOPTERS.:uhoh:

And since this is a "collective" noun thang.....

Let's make this competition: cyclical :ugh:

Yaw all know what I mean..............:eek:

Sudden Stop
6th Apr 2011, 15:19
At our place it's usually an Invasion of helicopters. :sad:

Rotorgoat8
6th Apr 2011, 15:56
How 'bout; ROTORFLOCK? My first thought was CLUSTERFLOCK but figured I'd better keep it clean!