View Full Version : Career Path Question

Albanian Seahorse
5th Apr 2011, 08:36
From what I understand, the hardest part of a career as a pilot is getting that elusive first job. But, if you do make a lucky break, what comes next?

For example, say you complete training, and land a job with easyJet or Ryanair. You fly for a few years with them, unfreeze your ATPL, and then start looking for bigger and better things.

At this point you have an A319/737 type rating - very employable - but how do you move on from there? If you apply to BA, and are successful, how do BA decide who flies a 737/A319, and who a flies 747/A380?

Is it done on seniority within the company? Or on performance? Or on existing qualifications when applying? (Guessing not the last, 'cos BA pay for type ratings... right?)

Apologies if it seems like an irrelevant question for a forum mainly about finding that first big break.

I-ENIO
5th Apr 2011, 13:42
Arctic, are you really saying that who aims to a career in a mayor airline should wait for BA to hire him instead of accepting to work in a lowcost like Ryanair self sponsoring his TR to get some experience when he ends his ATPL course with 200 hours???

That's pure bull****!

Mystico
6th Apr 2011, 06:51
@Arctic

You have a fair point, but how do you repond to the following:

Sure I would like to work for KLM, BA or one of the other great and big companies. But as they're not really hiring cadets which choice do we have?
We can pay our way into a TR and company, fly for a salary which most of us are agreeing with(yes working 2 years in a supermarket, so a salary from RYR/Easy will be higher, thrust me;)) or keep working in the supermarket, hoping that eventually the big companies need more pilots and will hire cadets?

I dont see why working for RYR will reduce your own possibilites. I know plenty of pilots who worked for RYR, build up approx. 6000 hours. They are 26 now and KLM was eager to get them in.
I'm currently 21 so after working 5 years for RYR(for example) with approx 1000 hours a year will result in 5000 hours on my 26th. You cannot tell me that big companies would decline someone who worked his ass off for 5 years, even paid to get those hours.
I think the companies will respect that and they are all human. They know the situation and the risks we cadets have to take to follow our dreams.

Ollie88
6th Apr 2011, 07:01
Could someone answer the career path question already?!

At later stages of your career, what kind of progression is there for a pilot? Training captain? Managment pilot?

Mystico
6th Apr 2011, 07:51
I think the question the TS asks is hard to answer as they are a lot of routes depending on your company.

Instructor
Line-training instructor
TQ/TR instructor
Captain on present airplane
FO on larger airplane
Growing into mother company (Germanwings to Lufthansa)
Captain on larger plane

Things like that

mr ripley
6th Apr 2011, 10:23
how do BA decide who flies a 737/A319, and who a flies 747/A380?

When BA recruit, they advertise for Type-rated or Non-type rated or military.
Obviously a type rated application should result on a position on that fleet (BA currently recruiting for Airbus 319/320/321 and Boeing 744). Non-type rated recruits can start on the Airbus 319/320/321 or Boeing 737/744/767/777 depending on vacancies. However on the larger aircraft you need to be acceptable for Zero Flight Time Training (hours/experience/previous types) as these aircraft are no longer taken out of service for base training.

BA has a system where pilots can bid to move between aircraft types, subject to vacancy, seniority and time spent on the current fleet.

A typical career path for a low hours recruit may be FO 737 or Airbus then FO 777 or 744 then Captain Airbus or 737 then Captain 777 or 744. However many pilots do it differently. There are also opportunities to get involved in training as a FO and Captain.

Albanian Seahorse
6th Apr 2011, 12:46
Thanks for your replies... and thank you Mr. Ripley especially, that was basically the exact info I was seeking!!

A further question: at what point to you realistically have a competitive chance of employment with a company like BA? I ask that question whilst fully aware of the following:

- An individual's chances vary with the economic climate, and whether the airline's recruiting situation is +ve/neutral/-ve.
- Much depends on the individual, how they perform in the group tests and interviews etc. I know that for BA, flying the aeroplane is just the beginning!

Notwithstanding those factors, what is the typical background of someone offered a job by BA? (excluding the military guys)

Basically my dream is flying 747s for BA. So I'm trying to find out how to make it happen!!!! Thanks for all the input.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
6th Apr 2011, 19:30
AS,

To answer your question, it is quite simple. You will be considered for BA, when you meet their requirements in terms of your qualifications and experience.

You will then have the challenge of getting through their selection process. So, if you have the experience and do your homework, you can fulfil your ambitions.

Pilots within BA have come from a whole range of back rounds, from cadets, the air force and type rated guys from other airlines.