PDA

View Full Version : Honeywell

mikedc
4th Apr 2011, 22:46
Can anyone tell me how to extend the runway centerline using the Honeywell FMS?
For example, night, and cleared for a visual-- I want to extend the runway centerline to give myself better situational awarness, how can I do this?

Or approach is loaded with all the fixes, you're turned to dogleg and cleared for the approach. All the other fixes will be behind you with the exception of the FAF. Now, I want to delete all the fixes behind me and extend the course from the FAF out to infinite.

Always had Rockwell before.

Thanks

fernytickles
5th Apr 2011, 00:03
If its a GNS XLS FMS, make sure that you have "direct to the airport" selected. On the right side, highlight the course, then change it to the inbound course for the runway (rwy 36 - 360' etc) & enter, and then you will have what the FMS calls a "pseudo VOR".

refplus20
5th Apr 2011, 00:39
Not sure what software version you're using, but to extend the centre line I would highlight the runway which moves into the scratchpad with the runway bearing separated with a slash from the runway name. Then just add a distance, say 5 miles, after the slash by the the runway bearing and enter it after the runway.

To get rid of all the waypoints, if cleared on an intercept heading, then just select ACT Vectors in the bottom left of the screen and accept it.

mutt
5th Apr 2011, 06:21
Which model of FMS?...... The Rockwell FMS was a dream compared to some of the Honeywell logic :)

Mutt

formulaben
6th Apr 2011, 05:35
DIRECT, then INTERCEPT, then select fix and inbound course...this is going back a few years.

theficklefinger
6th Apr 2011, 05:49
I have no idea what your trying to accomplish.

You fly the approach, you have the MAP ahead, that's what you fly to.

doubleu-anker
6th Apr 2011, 05:58
Why not select a ground based nav aid, e.g., ILS, VOR/NDB, that has been preselected? I find they are still pretty good to use.

NuName
6th Apr 2011, 08:18
"I have no idea what your trying to accomplish.

You fly the approach, you have the MAP ahead, that's what you fly to."

Well I do mikedc, trouble is I can't remember. Very useful trick in the FMZ 2000, but if you have no idea then you just havn't been in the situation where it is useful i.e. some places have no published approaches.

theficklefinger
9th Apr 2011, 17:35
Well I am 'why' guy..so when someone posits 'I want to hit my big toe with a hammer, what is the best hammer to use?'...I tend to be the guy that asks why one would want to hit their toe with a hammer. Call me a contrarian, but my personality profile dictates that I need to know if something works or not, it's purpose and such.

So maybe you 'experts' can explain to me what part of the op we are talking about..departure, approach, landing, whatever..and what is the purpose of extending the runway centerline.

formulaben
9th Apr 2011, 17:44
Could be a visual approach, navigating inbound on a radio to a VOR using the FMS, or simply for ANY approach upon once you are on an assigned heading to intercept you match that condition with the FMS. All modern FMSs have this function, and all Garmin products that I've used do also.

mutt
9th Apr 2011, 18:24
Approach phase when you are getting radar vectors, extending the runway centerline from the final approach fix gives you the approach and missed approach.I was told that one reason for doing this is so that our older FMS isn't confused by the fact that you didn't fly over all the waypoints in the approach.

Mutt

NuName
10th Apr 2011, 06:01
When all the producers of navigation equipment install a particular facility in it, one can deduce that there is a very good use for it. On a dark night over central Africa being badly radar vectored for the VOR approach, it was very useful indeed to see the extended centreline portrayed on the MFD.

hawkerjet
26th Apr 2011, 23:15
I know of several people that use this function in Collins systems as a situational awareness tool.:ok:

IO540
30th Apr 2011, 07:54
It's called an OBS mode, in IFR GPSs :)

Very useful indeed.

I.R.PIRATE
30th Apr 2011, 10:31
Forumalaben has got it

DIRECT, then INTERCEPT, then select fix and inbound course - then select YES to adjust the leg.

Thats it on SPZ8400 anyway.

mutt
30th Apr 2011, 11:57
Just remember that you should be in HDG or NAV prior to doing this, otherwise the FMS will take you directly to the position that you used in the initial DIR. (SPZ8000/8400)

Mutt