View Full Version : Maths and Physics study prior to ATPL G.S

FattyBarr
4th Apr 2011, 20:52
Hi,

Ive bought the oxford maths and physics cd roms to get me back up and running prior to ground school.

Can anyone advise if it is worth doing the whole GCSE sylabus or focussing on specific topics which will be included on the ground school course?

Thanks

pilot_ben
4th Apr 2011, 21:08
You will need to have a sound understanding of the following:

Vectors
Trig/Triangles
Pythag
Equation manipulation
Circle formula
Angles

In terms of physics learn things that are obviously related to principles of flight + aviation (Radio range etc.)

Id also recommend reading through some of the PPL manuals before starting, the course.

Good luck, hope this helps!

madlot
4th Apr 2011, 22:35
To be honest I don't think it's a big deal, those CDs should give you virtually all you need to know.

If you can re-arrange equations/formulae ,do a bit of spherical geometry and do basic division and multiplication you should be fine.

I hadn't done anything like it for 20 years and cruised it, having dreaded it beforehand.Don't get too stressed about it.

There's also 'maths for pilots' written by Barry Hamlin, available which is excellent. Google it and it will take you to the Bristol Groundschool website with instructions on how to buy from there.

FattyBarr
5th Apr 2011, 07:11
cheers fellas

pilot_ben
5th Apr 2011, 07:26
Yeah, i've got a copy of that myself.
Used it all through g/s where ever i had a problem with maths.

A330ETOPS
5th Apr 2011, 11:02
Dont worry about it too much! I failed Physics A Level, and got a D first time round in GCSE maths (Resat it and got a B)!

I never had any trouble with the ATPL's, especially when Maths & Physics are concerned. The books & instructors (if applic) will teach you everything you need to know!

Rugbyears
7th Apr 2011, 20:31
Is it not Mathematics for Aviation by Baz Hamblin..?