PDA

View Full Version : Different browser shortcomings.

7AC
4th Apr 2011, 11:44
Could some kind soul please explain, for a computer dullard, why the different browsers fail to open some websites and not others?
I.E. works nearly everything but is painfully slow, Firefox drops the ball here and there and has to have add-ons, Opera misses the ball with lots of things,
Chrome won't play with the CFMU for example and neither will Flashpeak.
Thanks.

mixture
4th Apr 2011, 11:47
7AC,

You are opening a great big can of worms with that sort of question.

It's a bit like the old Apple vs Microsoft debate.

Everyone will have an opinion, swear blindly that their choice of browser is THS BEST...... but the fact is, they all have their pros and cons. There is no such thing as a perfect browser, anyone who tries to tell you there is does not know what they are talking about.

Truth is, if you want an unbiased opinion, seeing as they are all free, download them all and see which one you get on with best. Otherwise you might just end up trying to conform to others preferences (a.k.a. the Vegimite/Marmite syndrome).

The reason IE "works nearly everything" is because many web developers (or the func. specs. to which they are working) still insist on thinking that the world ends with Microsoft, or use proprietary technologies such as Silverlight in there website projects. Therefore, irrespective of your future choice of browser, you should always keep a copy of IE to hand as there will always be a handful of websites that don't work in anything else other than IE.

Personally I use a combination of IE and Firefox on Windows, and mostly Safari with a little bit of Firefox on the side on Mac. I find that works well for me. I've never got on with Opera, and refuse to use Chrome.