PDA

View Full Version : Can't see HD progs on BBC i-Player

captplaystation
3rd Apr 2011, 11:30
I am using an identity cloaker supplied by www.my-private-network.co.uk to watch BBC TV and i-Player from outside the UK.
Great gizmo, only 5 quid a month.

For some reason when I try to watch progs on i-Player which are offered only in HD the content doesn't play & I get the message "This content doesn't seem to be working try again later"
Anything I can do to see these progs? my internet speed is OK (around 6Mb/s) and I have no problem streaming the normal programmes.

Cheers

Booglebox
3rd Apr 2011, 19:18
I used to use a similar service for watching Hulu. Feels good to cheat the networks :E

I reckon that BBC HD iPlayer does a compulsory speed check to make sure that it won't be stuttering all the time, which fails due to limited VPN speed.

captplaystation
4th Apr 2011, 10:16
Could be, it certainly "streams" the normal progs OK, I guess HD needs even higher speed internet ? any idea the minimum for it to be effective ?

Duckbutt
4th Apr 2011, 10:33
The BBC iPlayer testing site suggests a minimum of 3,500 mbs for HD progs.

BBC iPlayer - Check your connection speed (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics)

captplaystation
4th Apr 2011, 10:43
I am now really confused, today it works OK and the speedtest I did suggests the same speed as yesterday, when it didn't work :confused: Duh ? ? ?

In the meantime the two progs I wanted to watch have expired, Sods Law :ugh: