View Full Version : Stomach not up to it???

mark_c
2nd Apr 2011, 19:56
Hey folks, just looking for a bit of advice, i want to do an integrated course so i went for an introductory flight today. We went up in a cessna 152 and as soon as we left the runway we were been thrown everywhere with the wind. I was ok with the turbulance until i was told to take the controls!! My belly felt like it had turned inside-out and i had a cold sweat, when the instructor took over for landing it began to ease a bit.

Is this due to the fact it was windy and my first time in a light a/c? I really wanna train for my ATPL but i aint forking out €80k only to find out i dont like it or my belly isnt up for it! I have decided ill give it another chance on a calmer day. Is it normal for a pilot in a light aircraft to feel sick, or should i be looking at a different career? If i cant train due to something beyond my control i wont be too upset!

Thanks people :)

edmo_original
2nd Apr 2011, 20:21
My first flight in a Cessna 152 I was sick too, I'm now a first officer on the a320.

Basically with motion sickness you can beat it. Its a mixture of exposure and being careful what you eat. I'd recommend you get some motion sickness wrist bands that work on pressure points and avoid onions before you fly.

Don't worry about it. That's the main thing.

RollNow!
2nd Apr 2011, 20:23
Know how you feel!
Evening!

I have plus of 150 hours and my Night done in the C152 , 172. I went for my first flight in a 152 and i felt like absolute crap about 10 mins in. Hated every second of the next 40 mins and was so glad to be back on the ground. Felt fine as soon as i stepped out.

Went back a few days later determined to test myself and felt 'off' for the 1st 5 mins then i just started enjoying myself! Its all about 1st times, new experiences. Its all very different being in a light aircraft than it is hoping in a nice stable B757 off to Sharm!

Worry not, go back do it again, once your in control and you start thinking about flying the thing instead of worrying about puking in it you'll be fine (i hope :E ). Only one way to find out! Even if you do have a problem with motion sickness there are ways to treat it i hear. Chill out go flying my friend !

tabu
2nd Apr 2011, 20:30
Definitely don't worry about it - it happens - and probably has happened to most pilots at one time or another.

I once vomited all over my instructor when I was doing my PPL - and, understandably, I don't think he wasn't best pleased (though he was suitably sympathetic at the time...) Got over it though and now fly the 737...

Just stick with it, do be careful what you eat and give yourself time to adjust. Light aircraft do get bounced around a bit but when you've done a few lessons you'll be much more prepared for it and be concentrating so much on what you're doing you'll hardly notice.

Best of luck :D

giggitygiggity
2nd Apr 2011, 20:30
It was probably due to thermal activity rather than the wind. Going up and down is much more likely to cause you problems (like feeling sick/sweating) than going side to side. Look up how the vestibular system works, understanding the causes should hopefully help your brain make a little more sense of the whole thing.

My first flying experience was in gliders. During my first few flights I was quite aware of the changes in height experienced in turbulent air, although quickly I became accustomed and got used to it as the brain adapts to the new sensations. As a general rule, before spending the £80k on an ATPL course, I would do some more flying first before you commit. Gliding would be an inexpensive option that will greatly benefit your future career. As I said, the air can be quite turbulent and a glider is very susceptible to the effects. You will adapt quickly; your body will learn to ignore the accurate information provided by your inner ear and will learn to judge motion more sensibly. This will occur rapidly and you shouldn't let your unwelcome experience put you off. Getting some hours in before you take the financial plunge is crucial as it is the only way to see if you like it. Understandably, you wouldn't have enjoyed your recent flight and therefore you won't be able to make a honest and considered decision until you learn to ignore the symptoms. The only way to do this is through perseverance.

Look at the medical and health forum on PPRUNE where there are countless articles regarding motion sickness.

Good luck and keep on going. You'll be flying on your own and grinning like a gooden' in no time. Motion sickness would be the last thought entering your mind by this point!

zondaracer
2nd Apr 2011, 22:48
eat alot before you fly, because vomiting is better than dry heaving :ok:. in all seriousness, usually taking the controls makes motion sickness go away, but sounds you might just be a little nervous. eating some ginger before the flight might help with the queeziness. eat a light meal before hand and be hydrated, but not too hydrated because nothing sucks more than trying to land in a cross wind with lots of rudder input when you really have to pee.

CadetPilot
2nd Apr 2011, 22:51
Happened to ALOT of guys in my academy.
For one guy it stuck for a while actually.
He was the worst case any of the Flight Instructors had seen, and even he beat it :)

Motion sickness.

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Apr 2011, 22:52
A lot of people (myself included) felt thoroughly sick and disoriented in their first few flights in a light aeroplane.

In 21 years flying, I think I've come across two people who didn't get over it with enough dedication and effort. So, the odds are very much in your favour.

G

mark_c
3rd Apr 2011, 11:21
Thanks a million guys, i glad to hear im not the only one!! Im gonna go up again this week and see how i get on! Thanks again!!

flyingguy1984
4th Apr 2011, 14:17
There was a guy at my FTO who suffered from quite bad air sickness, he was offered a de-sensatization flight. From what I heard, it consists of throwing you around the sky, you do throw up and you just deal with and somehow it helps, the RAF have used that method as well. Some believe in it, some don't. There is a very common fear of being sick, I have never been sick whilst flying, but I think it's the idea of it that worried me more than if I had actually been sick.

It can be a bit of a shock the first time you go up on a rough day, but count yourself lucky that you got to experience that early on so at least you can be well prepared! Good luck you'll be fine - the more you go up the less you'll worry about it :)