PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 medical in a few weeks.... Asthma

FattyBarr
2nd Apr 2011, 19:02
Hi,

I have my class 1 medical in a couple of weeks.

I had asthma as a child but dont fall into the 'attack in the last 5 years' category.

Im a bit worried about the spirometry test. Im currently blowing about 490 on the peak flow, this is within the 70% limit however I believe the spirometry test may be more critical of my lung capacity.

Having done a bit of research on here I went to my GP and got a steroid inhaler. Ive also got a powerbreathe, im running every day, have given up booze and caffine also.

I have read that when I turn up for the medical if I disclose that I am currently taking medication for the asthma they will make me do the run around the building etc. If I dont then it will be a simple spiromety test, is this the case???

Has anyone any tips for the medical??

Thanks.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Apr 2011, 19:43
<<Has anyone any tips for the medical??>>

Yes, tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

SkyCamMK
2nd Apr 2011, 19:44
Why would you risk being knocked back when with a bit of training and persistence you might be able to increase your performance. If you present yourself healthy and fit within the normal range numbers while not on medication surely you are likely to do better. Lying your way through might be picked up in any case and if your GP is contacted you could easily come a cropper and be left marked as permanently unfit.

Your own statement admits you may have problems so why risk it right now?

If it is an initial class 1 then this sets a bench mark that is effectively your peak that will decay with age.

Give yourself a chance to succeed in my opinion.

I hope you get some support from others but I would be careful and not too hasty.

JCBeadle
5th Apr 2011, 21:27
Fattybarr

I went to do my Class 1 med last December at Gatwick. I am having difficulties with the decision on my class 1 med, but that is because of allergies. But that is a different topic.

Anyway, I have mild, seasonal asthma and have had it for many years now. I don't use steroids for it, i only use ventolin when I need to. But the CAA made me do an exercise spirometry. They will hook you up to a treadmill for 10 mins, and will do a peak flow before and after the exercise. I passed woop! So I'm guessing if you fall into the same category as me, you may be ok, however I don't know nearly enough of your history on your condition, so I wouldn't have a clue. But in summary that was my experience.