PDA

View Full Version : Having an ap made

framer
1st Apr 2011, 23:32
Hi,
Has anyone got any experience in how aps for iphones/ipads etc are made?
I have an idea for an ap that cabin crew and pilots could use and have no idea whether it would cost me $300 or $3000 to have it made. My motivation is not financial, it would be a training aid basically.
Cheers, Framer
PS I have googled searched but most of the info was of an advertising nature and left me none the wiser.

badgerbaitz
2nd Apr 2011, 00:42
Has anyone got any experience in how aps for iphones/ipads etc are made?
Apple released some software (software development kit ...SDK) that's mostly used to create apps that run on their products. You will need to have at least a moderate ability at coding to get the best out of it.
iOS Dev Center - Apple Developer (http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action)

Would not a well designed and interactive website that is designed to work well both on an mobile apple platform, Apple macs, Android, MSwindows, Linux etc etc probably work out better for you?....just my 02.

..have no idea whether it would cost me $300 or $3000 to have it made

Yes you could put your app out for tender to a whole host of coders who will do it for you. For 3G you could hire a couple of Indian coders for a whole month or more to write the app for you.

I think what you really need to do is think hard about how you want it to get out to your end users. More Android based phones sold the last couple of months than Apple! So you see where I am coming from when I advise you look over whether a good website might be more suitable.

Also you can use the Google software development kit & tools for nothing and they do not charge you for putting it out to your intended users.

Android SDK | Android Developers (http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html)

The above link is brilliant! I recommend that you at least give a couple of the tutorials a crack so it will give you a feel of what is possible.
I hope that was of some help to you.:}

framer
2nd Apr 2011, 03:06
Thanks Badgerb,
A web site is not what I'm after, I see these young crew on their iphones day in day out filling in even two minute breaks in duties with playing a game or re reading emails etc, the idea is to give them an option to use this same median but on a topic or issue directly related to work, it would also be a bit of fun maybe. I expect that if anyone did use it it would be someone who takes their job seriously and really wants to be better at it. You know the type, probably 30% of the cabin crew I work with are pretty motivated to be excellent at their jobs. I will look at those links tonight, I appreciate your reply, ta, Framer

mixture
2nd Apr 2011, 11:44
Did you try googling for something like "iphone app developer sydney"

Yields companies such as Sentia who claim "Sentia have established themselves as a leader in iPhone Development Sydney".

You should be able to get an estimate off them free.