PDA

View Full Version : Mach Loop 60's-90's

Alex Lovell
1st Apr 2011, 22:49
Hi Guys,

I spend lots of time in the Mach Loop photographing todays aircrew at low loevel but would love to know of "experiences" of the loop in yesteryear. and if anyones got any photos then please feel free to post them too.

I'm interested to know how far back the loop originates as a training area and also what aircraft were common sites and in what years etc.

Looking forward to your replies

Alex

TEEEJ
2nd Apr 2011, 00:45
Buccaneer images from A5 Pass during 1994. The Photographer was Andrew Brooks.

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/326287-buccaneer-50th-anniversary-few-shots.html

Andrew gave his location at the following post.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/326281-buccaneer-50th-few-shots.html#post4105736

TJ

phil9560
2nd Apr 2011, 02:38
What a beautiful aircraft.

Alex Lovell
2nd Apr 2011, 18:14
Wow - thats what I'm talking about - and what great photos with 35mm - better than many modern digital images

BEagle
2nd Apr 2011, 18:48
Although we didn't know it as the 'Mach Loop', we certainly used to zip through there in the delightful little Gnat back in the mid-70s!

typerated
2nd Apr 2011, 20:56
Based in the UK today :

4 Typhoon Sqns
8 Tornado GR 4 Sqns
3 F-15 Sqns

total 15 frontline Sqns- will be 13 soon!

In the late 80s the RAF (including RAFG that flew most sorties to the UK anyway) had approx

3 Buccaneers Sqns
4 Jag Sqns
4 Harrier Sqns
12 Tornado GR1 Sqns
8 Tornado F3 Sqns
4 Phantom Sqns

while the USAF in the UK had

6 A-10 Sqns
8 F-111 Sqns.

total 49 Frontline Sqns.

No wonder you see bugger all about these days.

The low level system changed in the late 70s (or was it the 80s?) from set routes to a semi free for all with a few flowed valleys to stop head-ons
I don't know about the 'Mach Loop' but some flowed valleys, such as the M6 pass didn't make it onto the charts till the late 80s.

Mallet Blows of the 80s were the photoghaphers 'Mach Loop' of the day -the hillside on the valley east of Otterburn was chocka with punters watching a couple of hundred jets a day , RAF, USAFE, with Canadians (Hornets), Germans (F4s and Tornados), Danish (Drakens and F-16s) and probably others that I have forgotten, all with a nominal 100 ft height limit.

TR

Bubblewindow
30th Jul 2011, 05:26
Only just seen this thread!
I've been going there (The Loop) the past ten years on what you might call 'Busmans Holiday's' and it certainly has died a death when it comes to movements. Even ten years ago though the cold war had ended one would still see 50+ movements a day, grant it mostly Valley Hawks but still.
Since then we've lost the SHAR,Jag,Harrier,Dominie and the F3 who were all regular visitors to the Loop. I think the Harriers (both types) will be missed most by me anyhow. I've often given up due to dirty WX and been "Carparked" by Harriers. I remember retiring to the pub one day due to rain in the valley I was in (WX varies so much within a few miles). I sat outside (dry part of the valley) and as I raised my pint of Brains extra smooth to my lips a 3 Ship of Maverick layden Harriers rattled the place!! I'll always regret leaving that hill!! :ugh:

Of course the NIMBY's havnt done it any good either, not the locals I might add, these people decided to move into one if the busiest parts of LFA7 and when "I'm with Stupid" hit the headlines sure they were loving it!! More ammo !
Anyhoo, with a year left to retirement I'm looking forward to spending more time there photographing eh.....JSF...oh wait...eh...what will be left??
Unmanned drones??

BW

Old-Duffer
30th Jul 2011, 05:47
I would have thought there would be a market for a 'coffee table' book of collected photographs taken in the Mac Loop - or elsewhere for that matter.

Many of the photographs which appear in Threads like these are taken by 'hobbyists' not professionals but they are super - well done you guys and gals.

Yours in appreciation

Old Duffer

Bubblewindow
30th Jul 2011, 07:22
That's a fantastic idea OD!!
I know some guys have produced there own one off books using "Blurb". I think a collection of the older photos would be best. I know one guy who has photos of Lightnings going through there! He was probably the original of the hillclimbers!! Stuff like the Rasberry Ripple Tonka and Jag and the first GR4 (have had this myself as recently as '09! Brought back into service to test the Therma Pod) would be good!

BW

99 Change Hands
30th Jul 2011, 08:00
Talking of Mallet Blow, I was sent this by a member of the public during the eighties. It was one of a series of thirteen taken with a motor drive as we ran into the range up the valley from the east.

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae135/wislonuk/PPmalblo.jpg

typerated
30th Jul 2011, 08:31
The photo i'm sure will be taken at Alwinton.

It is from the clockwise track (Monday/Wednesday/Friday) Of Mallet Blow and is when you are east bound about 3-4 miles AFTER the airfield target at Otterburn.

Soon to get bounced by F4s or even Lightnings as you exit over Amble/ Druridge Bay?

Happy days!

Is Otterburn still used?

TR

typerated
30th Jul 2011, 08:37
I know there is a few photos around of a certain (famous/infamous) SHAR driver (no not Mr Ward) rolling through the Mach Loop.

In fact there are photos of at least three such passes (showing him inverted) near a couple of the tighter spots!

Good show that man!

Hope they would make it into any book

Peter Carter
30th Jul 2011, 09:11
On my first trip as a Gnat student in '71, my QFI (Terry Bushnell RIP) said, as we were zipping towards Llyn Ogwen, 'watch this'.
I thought he was going to fly really low. Well he did - then followed with 2 twinkles.
Amazing; it made quite an impression at the beginning of my flying career.

Bubblewindow
30th Jul 2011, 09:21
I know there is a few photos around of a certain (famous/infamous) SHAR driver (no not Mr Ward) rolling through the Mach Loop.

Top man indeed and how coincidental that he and his Shar were my first experiance in the Loop!! I swear the jeep rocked as he knife-edged through the V at Tal y Llyn ( Cad east/west). And if I'm not mistaken I think it's same chap in that fantastic shot of a Black T8 skimming the valley at Bwlch y Groes. (the right turn out of the loop at it's eastern most edge)

BW

Alex Lovell
30th Jul 2011, 10:03
Glad this threads continued - thanks for all the input.

Since I started it I've been lucky enough to sample the Mach Loop for myself as a backseater with 208 sqn in Hawk XX174 - We went past 180degrees as we passed the Bwlch for Cad - What an experience! And as you level out after Cad the valley rises up either side of you - it was like being in Star Wars!!!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6032/5897789852_c2fea55446_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexlovell2011/5897789852/)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5071/5897789862_93c140954c_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexlovell2011/5897789862/)

Bubblewindow
30th Jul 2011, 10:23
Alex: Been round the Loop myself with 19 Sqn. Great Craic! The turn to Bala is pretty serious though.
Will be there next week for the A-10's and the alleged F-16's.
Oops!! Have I let the big secret out :mad:

BW

exMudmover
30th Jul 2011, 14:04
Flying down the Nant Ffrancon Pass in the Gnat - from "Flying Freestyle" by Jerry Pook:

"Half way down the pass you overflew Llyn Ogwen, a dark, forbidding stretch of water below the famous peak Tryfan. At this point the valley turned over 60deg to starboard and dropped several hundred feet. Mike showed me how to make the standard 'racing turn' to get around the bend and into the pass down to Bethesda at maximum speed without going above 250feet. At Llyn Ogwen you put on full power and pulled up to aim just below the dark peak of Tryfan on the left. Just before you reached the rock face - and before you could see around the bend - you rolled almost inverted and pulled 6G to turn right and down into the next part of the valley, which was still obscured by the rocky wall on the opposite side. If you judged it right the last stretch of the valley would appear upside down in the top of the windscreen. You could now roll completely inverted to make a hard pull down into the last stretch of the valley. Very satisfying if done accurately, and very spectacular to see from the ground on the A5 at the bend, the aircraft trailing thick vapour trails from each wingtip as it passed around the corner almost upside down. Rock climbers hanging on to Tryfan by their fingernails were not usually impressed."

Lightning Mate
31st Jul 2011, 11:35
When aa were a lad in't laet sixties we din't knaw it as t' Mach Loop.

Don't tell anyone that I have 1850 hours on the

Jaguar

Bubblewindow
1st Aug 2011, 06:25
Don't tell anyone that I have 1850 hours on the

Jaguar

Nowt wrong with that!! One of the best aircraft I've seen at low level!! Them things would come through in all weathers. I remember being clagged in and catching a brief glimpse of a jag merrily transiting along under the murk along the road!!
Speaking of which, about to climb a hll right now in the Loop in sh1t WX!! Any jag pilots out there :)

BW

bobward
1st Aug 2011, 11:45
As it's a long way to go from darkest Norfolk, I've never been to that part of Wales, so apologies for the thread drift.

Al I wanted to say was that I've spent the best part (literally) of the last 40 years snapping pictures of fast, and not so fast, military aircraft around the country. Sadly, todays spotters will never see the variety of both the aircraft, and the exercises (Elder Forest, Priory etc) I've enjoyed.

A big personal thank you to tll the professionals who've given me and my fellow spotters such a wonderful feast. Whilst the jets, and sadly many of the people have gone, the images are still there to be seen and enjoyed.
:D:D:D:D

Lightning Mate
1st Aug 2011, 14:42
Any jag pilots out there

Quite a few of us mate, if you know who we are. :)