PDA

View Full Version : Southampton GA

Cheeseboy
1st Apr 2011, 18:44
Flew to Southampton today from Jersey in a Piper Cherokee. Despite being told horror stories of being handed a bill in the hundreds of pounds, I was only charged £25 for landing (with an ILS) and 2 hours parking. Absolute bargain (compared to what I was expecting and what some smaller south coast airports charge) and the Air Ops guys couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming. Told them I would write something positive as they think they have an underserved reputation for being anti-GA (which reputation I can attest from my positive experience is absolutely not true). Couple of things to add - there is no overnight parking and I contacted the Air Ops desk rather than a handling agent (I think that is where you can get charged hundreds of pounds, if you go via handling).

wakeup
1st Apr 2011, 19:01
Probably because they are a NATS airfield, and everyone knows NATS are anti-GA. Some good insider info!!!

Barnaby the Bear
1st Apr 2011, 20:16
Probably because they are a NATS airfield, and everyone knows NATS are anti-GA. Some good insider info!!!

ATC is contracted to NATS, but the airfield is BAA. NATS would be required to accept whatever the customer (BAA) wanted.