PDA

View Full Version : Oldest rotary wing pilot ?

heli1
1st Apr 2011, 08:38
After meeting Stewart Graham at HeliExpo ,who was the Number 2 US Coastguard helicopter pilot in 1943 and now aged 94 I believe ,is there anyone older still with us ?
Sox Hosegood in the UK is 89 and Ken Wallis of Bond Autogyro fame is probably the oldest rotary wing pilot at 95 I believe.

lelebebbel
1st Apr 2011, 08:44
How about oldest rotary wing pilot still flying?

I have a student here who is 75. Might be going solo in the next couple of months.

estepo
1st Apr 2011, 09:07
There's a wonderful character here in southern Spain called Ignacio Macein who's 84 and still flies (left hand seat) in my Gazelle. He can still do anything and everything he needs to do to fly solo.

He was the first to hold a professional licence in Spain - has licence number 001, and he has more than 20,000 hours.

We go for little adventures together now and again and I've never experienced such affection and deference from everybody he knows in the helicopter world.

Thomas coupling
1st Apr 2011, 09:26
Estepo: brilliant story. What a fantastic experience benefitting from flying with that guy it must be! Get him to contribute to Pprune??
Any pics of you 2 in the Gaz piece?

airvole
1st Apr 2011, 09:43
Mr.Peter Chantler did a recorded solo flight in one of my R44's
His age at the time was 83 I believe

It was recorded for the Guinness Book of Records but he decided he didn't want the publicity

It took forever to sort the insurance out

Spunk
1st Apr 2011, 09:43
The oldest helicopter pilot (though not flying anymore) might be Richard Perlia. Born on April 6th, 1905 he will turn 106 this coming Wednesday.
Among other things he was testpilot flying the Flettner FL265 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flettner_Fl_265)

Capt.Gonzo
2nd Apr 2011, 08:59
Hi,

Yes, he also flew the Focke FA 223 Drache.

There is a old movie somewehre in the net showing the testflights in the Alps.

TRC
2nd Apr 2011, 09:37
There is a old movie somewehre..

It's on Yoo Toob - Here