PDA

View Full Version : 747-8I DEC at HK Airlines ???

SMOC
31st Mar 2011, 15:18
Looks like Boeing slipped up. (Its been corrected on the site)

User Photo (http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.file?id=93648&filename=phpiziWD1.png)

Airliners picked it up.

More Info.

Hong Kong Airlines Orders Boeing 747-8 ? – - Airline Industry ReviewAirline Industry Review (http://airlineindustryreview.com/hong-kong-airlines-orders-boeing-747-8/)

cxorcist
31st Mar 2011, 17:28
Who would have thought that Hong Kong Airlines, not Cathay, would fly Hong Kong's flagship? Maybe this will get the boys up on the third floor serious about choosing CX's next jumbo aircraft.

Since joining, I have thought HKA was of little threat to CX. However, with aircraft orders for 777s and now 748 and A330s already in operation - it is obvious that they intend to step up their game.

If I were a CX freighter captain in HK with little chance of ever receiving expat allowances I would be taking a good look over the fence. The rosters would be much better than they are on the freighter, and the C&T culture might be less stressful. It would be nice to have some of CX's "out of seniority" captains right the ship by moving across to HKA before they retire.

buckaroo bonzai
31st Mar 2011, 18:57
Please stop with the "out of seniority" frtr cpt banter. It's really run it's course mate. Sorry you didn't go for it when you had the chance.

The end.

cxorcist
31st Mar 2011, 20:43
And take a pay cut to sit in the left seat on crap rosters.:=:=:=

You can have it. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Iron Skillet
1st Apr 2011, 00:27
cxorcist, no kidding, those frt capt guys still crack me up.

Considering housing and taxes, same seniority FO's take home double what my buddy does who's did the frt capt thing after 4 yrs from joining, and he also missed out on the recent 75% tax-free capital gains in HK while he's using half of what's left of his half-pay to pay for his housing.

What a bad move to be a cx frt capt! :ugh:

And then they whine and whine about the horrendous second-class brutally inefficient and torturous rosters they knew would come...that's what they deserve for delaying a more senior pilot's pay rise, no sympathy.

buckaroo bonzai
1st Apr 2011, 05:39
cxorcist,

thanks I will have it. explain AGAIN how making more than an FO is taking a pay cut???

iron pan,

an FO with same seniority takes home double what a frtr cpt makes? please elaborate. try comparing a hong kong FO's pay to a European Frtr Cpt pay with currency exchange rates. as for the housing/allowances, those don't enter as frtr cpts chose not to come to hong kong. we actually like living in europe.

direct entry frtr cpts (ex-oasis) are a different story and should be treated as such.

"And then they whine and whine about the horrendous second-class brutally inefficient and torturous rosters they knew would come...that's what they deserve for delaying a more senior pilot's pay rise, no sympathy"

AGAIN, how did we "jump" ahead of you? oh yeah, you didn't want the frtr command. well, i have no sympathy for you whining on these threads dude.

crap rosters also affect non-frtr only cpts and FOs by the way mate.

buckaroo

Iron Skillet
1st Apr 2011, 06:14
There are plenty of ftr capts based in HKG, and plenty of HKG FOs who went the ftr capt route. They too take home half the money of their same-seniority peers.

As for anyone who stays on a base to live in wonderful Europe/US/AUS/Canada/wherever (is it for the weather? traffic? fuel price? guns? violence? crime? desirable ladies? double taxation? COS08? limited travel benefits? etc.?) while forking over 40-65% of their similar pay in income and sales and VAT taxes, but no housing assistance, so therefore take home 1/4 the money of HKG-based similar-seniority guys doing the same job, while paying taxes on capital gains for both real estate and equity investments?

That's just as crazy. :ugh:

I won't bother mentioning the massive cost and wasted days off expended on commuting, since almost nobody lives at their base...but even some HKG-based guys throw money and time out the window on this, too. As for the DEC, they are obviously completely insane morons and/or have so badly mismanaged their lives, priorities and careers that their decision-making skills have no relevance here.

As for your comment about all crew being affected by crappy freighter rostering, only 747 crew are, and:
1. Most FOs didn't choose 747s like ftr capts did.
2. Most HKG-based non-ftr capts rarely fly freighters, though that is increasing.
3. Most HKG-based 747 FOs are affected much more than non-ftr capts but nowhere near as much as ftr capts.

On another note:
I can't tell you how many coworkers have no concept of the significant financial advantages are in HKG, or even understand how compounding works to grow wealth, which is the absolute golden ticket to freedom, health and happiness, regardless of the cliches. They certainly don't understand that replaceable, disposable employees like us really only go to work because some company gives us money to do so. Some still buy into all this bogus propaganda of esprit de corps, professionalism, career, status, blah blah, as if "obtaining a command" at an airline is an achievement rather than just a progression up the seniority list after years and years of doing the same old thing. :ugh: Get over it, man. Nobody is impressed but yourselves.

buckaroo bonzai
1st Apr 2011, 07:02
how do i miss out on the capital gains in hong kong when i have a hong kong bank account and investments in hong kong?

how do i pay more tax than you again? i have a double tax agreement and pay only hong kong tax

anyway, glad the frtr guys crack you up.

thanks for the investment lesson. try it on someone who cares/needs it next time. what does anything you said have to do with choosing to fly the frtr for higher pay than an FO? oh right, nothing.

hope you stay in hong kong for the rest of your career.

gotta go load my guns because some criminal might be stopping by later. my standard fun for the day...

keep trying to convince yourself that hong kong is great.

Iron Skillet
1st Apr 2011, 18:09
Hey buckaroo,

Obviously you fail to grasp the true value of the HKG expat benefits or the fragility of your rare taxation agreement. Whatever.

Thanks for filling in on crappy rosters, though! Enjoy.

buckaroo bonzai
1st Apr 2011, 20:11
no problem, you're welcome.

fragility of my tax agreement???

here's to your retirement in hong kong.

nice try at a response. take care bro

The Messiah
5th Apr 2011, 13:26
Who would have thought that Hong Kong Airlines, not Cathay, would fly Hong Kong's flagship?
How is the 747-8I Hong Kongs flagship?:confused:

cxorcist
5th Apr 2011, 16:49
The Mess,

It's hard to call big twins a flagship, and the A380 does not seem to be making an appearance in HKG colors anytime soon. More semantics than anything I suppose. No offense if you are an Airbus aficionado. I think the -8 looks nice in HKA livery. The HK Chinese would be proud to challenge CX's dominant market position on long haul services.

The Messiah
5th Apr 2011, 20:50
Any carrier flying overseas flies 'flag'. Meaning that they fly under their National flag. Flag was a term used in the 70s by Continental for its flights during the Vietnam War.

As long as CX operates more aircraft to more destinations than HKA they would have to be considered the unofficial 'flag' carrier I would think, no matter what the aircraft type.

cxorcist
6th Apr 2011, 00:12
Afraid this has become too literal for me.

Fly747
6th Apr 2011, 12:45
The great thing about this April Fool is that it is actually plausible.

bila
9th Apr 2011, 04:14
As long as CX operates more aircraft to more destinations than HKA they would have to be considered the unofficial 'flag' carrier I would think, no matter what the aircraft type.

Malaysia Airlines is the national 'flag' carrier.
Air Asia flies more aircrafts and to more destinations than Malaysia Airlines. So will Air Asia be considered to be the flag carrier?? :ugh:

Soon Jetstar too will be having more aircrafts. ;)

Probably that's why there seem to be a migration from CX and KA. :ok:

Watch the space chaps!!

Happy flying!

The Messiah
9th Apr 2011, 04:35
So will Air Asia be considered to be the flag carrier??
I should have made myself more clear. There is really no such thing as a 'flagship' carrier anywhere. An airline may lay claim to the title but there is nothing official about it whatsoever, essentially the term is a hangover from the 70's.

That being said I doubt a low cost carrier would ever lay claim to such a title, so Air Asia is out I'm sorry:ok: