PDA

View Full Version : The IR conversion fiasco.

Prime Vertical
12th Feb 2001, 23:57
As some of you know, there is no longer conversion of an ICAO IR. The full course must be done.
This action by the JAA was one without warning. Something must be done about it. I submit to all pilots in a similar predicament to myself that we should all complain strongly together.
Why should the JAA be allowed to change policy whenever it suits them? It places pilots like myself in a difficult situation, It makes it impossible to plan ahead, not knowing what 'new' policy is around the corner.

Inputs on how to tackle this problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

RVR800
13th Feb 2001, 13:14
This is a political thing

Its about European Pilots and CHOICE

One may CHOOSE to pay huge amounts of money and time on the JAA licences rather than
its predecessor.

One might want the mobility
of the licence for jobs in JAA countries.
If such mobility exists - doubtful in some
cases

BUT to have it FORCED upon you is quite another thing and it's undemocratic
AOPA are canvassing the CAA for the
NPPL - lets have a NCPL and an NATPL
as well - and let people CHOOSE

The SRG web site changes the rules every
month and this affects everybody. It
is especially punitive for the poor old
self sponsored guy. This is not the CAA
its the JAA. Being a licencing officer in the CAA must be a nightmare with all this going on.

The number of people doing this self-sponsored in the future will fall dramatically. The number of IR initials has already dropped in the UK from a pre-JAA
level of about 400 per annum to a current level of 160 per annum.

Of course we need these JAA licenses and ratings for the quite 'unique' weather we have in Europe is another old chestnut.
If you believe that you havent flown outside the UK and are being hoodwinked.

GT
13th Feb 2001, 16:38
RVR800,

I couldn't agree with you more! No chance of you getting a job with the JAA is there?

Regards (before it's all too late), GT.

BIG MISTER
13th Feb 2001, 16:52
England wins the World Cup !

Well they would do if were down to the CAA.
All that goal post moving ! ! !

The thing that I find so bloody upseting is if getting your IR ( or any other rating ) from oversea is that bad that the CAA feel they cant convert it.....

Then why the bloody hell are we letting these 'Dangerous Pilots' fly in and out of UK airspace ?????

rolling circle
13th Feb 2001, 23:41
I know it doesn't help but please put the blame where it belongs. The CAA would happily convert overseas IR's, just like they always used to - the problem is that the JAA won't let them. It's nothing worse than protectionism of the worst sort and it all stems from Hoofdorp.

'I' in the sky
14th Feb 2001, 01:43
RVR800, couldn't sgree more with your sentiments about mobility of labour.

Don't know whether anyone else has read this weeks Flight or its Aerospace careers supplement but it contains an advert from a company, ( think it might have been Hapag Lloyd but won't swear to it ) specifically requiring a Dutch or German ATPL. JAA didn't get a mention.

Fester Adams
14th Feb 2001, 02:52
rolling circle.
I don't entirely agree with you there.
The CAA don't have to implement any part of the JARs they don't want to. (In the same way that no other member state countries implement anything that doesn't suit them.)
The harmonization of European licences is a complete fiasco, and a monument to Euro-bureaucracy.
The CAA should never have had anything to do with the JAA in the first place.
The main result (from our point of view) is to make the route to ATPL much more expensive and painful for the self-improver wannabe.

BIG MISTER
14th Feb 2001, 05:15
That'll be the tail wagging the Dog again !

What the JAA really wants is a group of Pilots and a large supply of Beer. Any vexing problems could be swiftly solved in the time it takes to finish the beer ! ! !

Instead we have a group of people who've just got too much bloody time on their hands making decisions over the table tops of Europe without asking any bugger if its a good idea or not....

Dont get me wrong...IF ITS SAFER then I'm 200% behind it but I cant see the reasoning.

What would the CAA do if the JAA said that all fish live in trees and eat pencils ?
Well rubber stamp it...wouldnt want to upset the Euros now would we ?

Well if you cant beat them join them.

If anyone would like to vote for me in the next election I'll bring back hanging, blow up the tunnle, ban taste less green apples,
reduce the price of warm Beer and drop the dead Donkey called the JAA !

Right now I'm off the soap box I'll make a run for it before anyone see's me ! ! ! !