PDA

View Full Version : SAR QHI - £65k

6Z3
31st Mar 2011, 09:48
SAR QHI - £65K (http://jobs.thisiscornwall.co.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.pl?jbe_click=1&[email protected]&selection=938509330&utm_source=jbe&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=jbe310311)

Here's one I would have liked to have applied for in God's Country if I wasn't stone deaf.

Any departing 771 Beefers? Non Nobis Solum - "Not for themselves alone"

Thomas coupling
31st Mar 2011, 13:10
What was that? Speak up man!

A mate of mine who was a SeaKing QHI many years ago, is now a TRE for CHC. So same job, different uniform. He's an offshore oil rig driver.
Salary: £116,000.
Co-pilots working for any oil ofshore company start on this (£65000) don't they?

Absolutely taking the PI*S. Who is the company we are talking about here?

Which soul is going to start the ball rolling on this contract and prostitute themselves then?

Africa too......dear me:ugh:

ShyTorque
31st Mar 2011, 14:24
Which company? Try asking Anneka.... :oh:

Epiphany
31st Mar 2011, 15:41
Anneka told me that it is Castle Air as part of the Wastelands Algeria contract. Not only can QHI's expect to earn that princely sum but if they are very lucky they can find themselves in Algeria at about the same time as the next North African revolution. Bargain!

MyTarget
31st Mar 2011, 15:44
Co-pilots working for any oil ofshore company start on this (£65000) don't they?

Maybe in Norway! Not the UK.

TiPwEiGhT
31st Mar 2011, 16:57
Maybe in Norway! Not the UK.

Not even in Norway. What is this contract for, Castle Air branching out abroad?

Thomas coupling
31st Mar 2011, 17:15
Mike and Keith should be ashamed of inviting their bretheren into such a job on such a piddling salary.
This project is swimming in cash, the Algerians have paid big bucks to buy the lynx and 101. All the companies involved are creaming off the top and dealing the swarf out to the practitioners....again.

I'd heard rumours that some of the Algerian contract has been farmed out to Tiger helicopters on R22/44? Any truth in that. If so, you can bet your bottom dollar they have paid the going rate for twin turbines to fund that.

Dirty business.

Epiphany
31st Mar 2011, 17:26
T'was ever thus. What makes me laugh is that the advert proudly displays the£65K instead of the usual 'competitive salary' which usually means something that I wouldn't get out of bed for.

Still I suppose they are targeting the ex-Shawbury crowd who are more than happy to factor in the pension and go home every night.

collectivethrust
31st Mar 2011, 17:46
Hey Guys tell me where you and you mates work. The place where copilots get £65K to start and captains £116K. From what I see most onshore salaries are a lot less; not sure about off shore.

Not sure how a CHC TRE compares against an unlicensed instructor; no mention of needing a license for this job. Also I would imagine there would be an overseas allowance.

This doesn't seem too bad a salary for no license doing what you already know; it's the guy who takes a £36K pa police job that hurts the industry.

detgnome
31st Mar 2011, 18:25
Top whack (21 year) captain a bit over £100k, both Bristow and CHC, plus TRE allowance. 4 year SFO (3000hrs+) is around £65k (both CHC & Bristows), starting FO salaries are £40k (CHC), £48k (Bristows).

Whilst the salary does seem on the low side, there are still a couple of ex 203 Sqn QHIs that didn't move to Valley knocking around the local area as well as a ready supply from Culdrose. Ultimately market conditions will dictate whether someone will do the job for this money and in the current climate my bet would be they will!

Staticdroop
31st Mar 2011, 18:35
Got to say that is a pretty appalling salary offer for that job, with a bit of luck they will get no takers and have to make the offer more realistic.

ShyTorque
31st Mar 2011, 20:30
...and go home every night

From Algeria?

Hummingfrog
31st Mar 2011, 21:57
This is capitalism at work. Company wants to pay as little as possible - hence maximising profit. If somebody takes the bait and is willing to work for 65K then both sides are happy. If there are no takers then the company will have to up its offer - simple really.

It takes collective will to make sure that the employee doesn't get paid less than the perceived rate for the job. This is where a union comes in. BALPA and the collective will of the Aberdeen pilots of CHC gained the large pay rise in about 2005 which both CHC Scotia and Bristow(UK) workforce are still benefiting from - not sure about Bond as they try and keep the union out of the company negotiations:=

HF

6Z3
1st Apr 2011, 07:47
By way of comparison, perhaps a mid seniority Lt QHI on top rate flying pay in 771 could remind us all how much the RN values them.

Clever Richard
2nd Apr 2011, 06:07
6Z3,

You seem to be taking these comments a bit personally.;)

CD

6Z3
2nd Apr 2011, 07:27
Do you think? I merely started the thread with an honest envy that i couldn't take advantage of a job opportunity on my doorstep for which i was eminently qualified but for duff ears through 30 yrs of doing the job. That it pays some £10k more than pusser pays and nearly 4 times the average wage down here makes the comments in this thread odd in my view. The job clearly will suit someone wishing to live in this area, who no doubt would foresake the bucket-loads available elsewhere. I have very good colleagues with 40 yrs experience as A1/A2 Beefers, happy to work in the Sea King sim down here for less than half this wage.

I really would be surprised if there weren't at least half a dozen suitably qualified ex-Ace of Clubbers or RAF St Mawgan/Chivenor SAR natives who wouldn't jump at the opportunity. If they were my contempories they would be also be on an RN pension of some £25K which pushes their income up to £90K which is on a par with the headmaster of our local large secondary school. Not bad if you ask me.

Thomas coupling
2nd Apr 2011, 10:15
6Z3: The facts. Lt QHI A2 with experience and full flying pay, what do you reckon: £48,000/year? Then we have a gold plated pension contribution from HM, say worth 10% of his salary: £5000. Then HM subsidises him if he chooses to live in married quarters: Say £3000. (Free food and accom onboard ships).
Then all the other bits and bobs attached to the job, like free courses, generous leave, mileage for duty travel, oh and free flying gear, uniform, medical support, dentists:lets say £2000.
And finally, if he/she has kids: Free private schooling:£12000/child is it now?
£72000/annum standing still and (SDSR excepting) also solid job prospects to the end of his/her chosen career path. Of course if the chosen applicant is a Lt Cdr, add another £10000/annum onto my figures.

So they leave all that behind and try to continue with their life style, but hang on a minute, no pension with the new job, medical plans, oops school fees have gone out the window (what if they had 3 kids?). Ooops no married quarter allowance......etc etc.
And by the way, this new contract they have signed up for is only 3 years!!!
[And they still haven't got their ATPLH because the job didn't ask for it, but they had the chance whilst still inside because HM would have paid for it].

Now while I fully sympathise with those who don't see money as the main issue here. Because having lived in Cornwall for 17yrs, I have to say, money most certainly isn't the main issue down in God's country:ok:
You have to understand this isn't about YOU. It's about an individual getting the proper remuneration for their skill set.
The equivalent to an experienced QHI A2 in civvy street is a Chief Training Captain/TRE, in my humble opinion, having flown it for 14yrs.
And to hold that position in the heavy transport licencing sector, possibly offshore / SAR - would mean a starting salary of atleast £85000+ and upwards.
I eagerly await any dissenters with that last statement.

That's the issue...not how you could make it work with your new £65000 plus your mil pension whilst remaining in Hayle in your chocolate box cottage.

It's about like for like out in civvy street.

Yes the employer will try it on, it's only natural and yes there will be a queue of ex culdrose drivers applying for it and if it works for them - great. It happens all over the place. But the ethics stink!

The irony of this particular contract is that the employers were once,SeaKing QHI's themselves from Culdrose:mad:

6Z3
2nd Apr 2011, 10:58
Nah, wouldn't want to live in Hayle....not even for £65K!!!!

The jobspec asked for B1 or better not experienced A2. So if you're an experienced A2 Lt Cdr with 3 children who you want to send away to boarding school in order to pick up BSA...don't apply.

collectivethrust
2nd Apr 2011, 11:13
TC

Not quite sure what your gripe is here. A company here is offering a position and it is up to those applying to see if it is for them and if not don't apply, it's not a military posting you can't refuse.

Also you seem to be under the impression that any military QHI will immediately leave to a Chief Training Captain/TRE from my experience that takes some time to achieve including working for less than the military salary just before leaving. I know many ex mil QHI (all services) that haven't achieved these positions/salaries; not due to ability or desire but simply no opportunities. The advertised job sounds like a TRI/line instructor not a Chief Training Capt.

I'll say again no license and no IR required; there is a significant bonus, as those that have paid out of their own pocket will testify.

£65K not bad point to start negotiations but I believe the out of country bonus bring this up quite a bit.

No I am not applying, not the salary but location(UK) doesn't work for me. If I could live closer i would give it a go.

Fareastdriver
2nd Apr 2011, 12:16
Judging buy the job criteraia there will not be any flying in the UK; just ground instructional. The further ground and flying instruction will be carried out in Algeria on either goverment of quasi military helicopters which is why a licence is not required. The length and the time of contract also ensures that there will be a full UK tax liability.

A licence holder can command his salary because the market desires him and he has the qualifications; whether paid for by oneself or earned and aquired using his military experience. Should he not have the qualifications then he cannot command the salary of some one who has so this talk of a North Sea TRE salary does not apply.

An offshore pilot on an overseas rotation of 4wks/4wks will pull in about £85,000. For that he will be required to fly up to 65-80 hours duing his 28 days on. He will get accommodation and subsistance allowance that is usually enough to keep him going. Tax is a matter of who he can keep outside of the UK during his time off. The sensible ones decamp to Spain or somewhere more tax friendly. In this case it does not apply as a tax free year is at least the whole year between 7th April and the following 6th April.

We have to look at the job again. The initial bit is ground instructional only. After that there is the flying bit of which the first is converting the instructor to the type that he is going to teach on. That has to be paid for. TRE,s have paid for that in service during their previous line flying. For the rest of the thirteen months the flying, which is what pilots get paid for, is going to be instructional flying for a particular role and that is not going to be a high intensity programme; so not an awful lot of hours.

B1 QHI? To idle to sort out his licence or not interested in settling in some wild and windy Scottish city. Sounds a good deal to me; keeps you out of the pub.

When I was an offshore helicopter pilot I would not have got out of bed for that but the one they want isn't one.