PDA

View Full Version : Ambua PNG Bell 206 Crash

Waghi Warrior
30th Mar 2011, 02:08
A Bell 206 Long Ranger crashed near Ambua lodge in PNG the other day. Machine is wrecked and all 4 on board survived with injuries.

Not to sure who the operator involved was.

tolakuma manki
30th Mar 2011, 03:43
Was LongRanger L4.
Operated on behalf of Indian Company contracting to MCJV at Komo.

The lodge pad(s) are very tight, with wind up your ass.
Pressure altitude 6500, Density Altitude...... you work it out on a 20+degree C day.

The bloke standing on top of the 205 when it happened should have more info.

Believe the rego is P2-PAR
TM

helihub
30th Mar 2011, 08:44
If it was an LR4, then it cannot be P2-PAR which is an MD500ER (photo (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=39175)). All the LR4s which have been on the P2 register are P2-PBE, PBF and HFZ. but we can rule out PBF as that crashed 28-Jul-08 (http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/1573341/ao2008067.pdf). So, if it is an LR4 then its P2-PBE or P2-HFZ or on another register

helihub
30th Mar 2011, 10:24
Further press info gives operator as Sabah Air, so it's likely a 9M registered LR4. Interestingly the colour scheme in the photos ties up to a different Malaysian operator Hornbill Skyways, but then again, companies do lease helicopters between themselves.

Current 9M LR4s are 9M-BCU, 9M-HSM and 9M-HSS all thought to be with Hornbill and 9M-KUL with Sabah

Waghi Warrior
30th Mar 2011, 11:08
I have an idea that TM is on the right track, ie P2-PAR as I think this was a very recent import. Ambua isn't a nice place to operate into on a good day, not to mention on a crappy day, density altitude would be around 8000 feet at a guess. Reminds me of the Mt Kare days.

Savoia
30th Mar 2011, 11:38
Evidently this is the ship:

http://www.postcourier.com.pg/images/20110329_Tue_Headlines.gif

Reminds me of the Mt Kare days.

Good Lord! Grant and the 'pig' P2-PHG (I think) and the 'BH' helicopters. There used to be a driver (always wore jeans and cowboy boots - quite tall) - he was the only chap I've seen who used to exit the craft while the engine was at flight rpm. I always used to quietly walk away when he did that!

Sav

helihub
30th Mar 2011, 13:11
Waghi Warrior - thanks for tip, I'll go researching further and see what I find.

tolakuma manki
30th Mar 2011, 21:24
More info from sources deep in the southern highlands.
Was operating under AOC from Kimbe operator.
Pilot's first trip to the area.
Had not been checked into LZ.

Helicopter was brought in via Cairns.

EXXON has banned all landings at Ambua for MCJV staff.
TM

bretto22
31st Mar 2011, 03:02
The machine was operated by Heli-Charters out of Cairns apparently. It was a VH registered bird in on an FAOC...

It was the pilots first gig in PNG..

Two_dogs
1st Apr 2011, 02:23
Was not operated by Heli Charters.
Heli Charters arranged the CofA, and exported the machine to PNG.

Was not a VH rego on a FAOC.
Is registered P2-PAR.

Was operated by an Indian company.

Semi Rigid
2nd Apr 2011, 07:38
Tolakuma Manki-
"Exxon has banned all flights in/out Ambua for JV staff"
Why they do that? Was it a direct reaction to this accident?
There is nothing wrong with Ambua lodge helipads or strip for that matter.
Facts - pilot of this longbox had no Niugini time, no turbine time, no mountain time and the machine was a sihtbox. Accident looking for someplace to happen - yep.
PNG CASA-did the AOC operator (presumably Niugini Helicopters in this case) carry out a check ride with the pilot? What about a local familirisation flight?

tolakuma manki
2nd Apr 2011, 21:46
Exxon has banned all flights in/out Ambua for JV staff"
Why they do that? Was it a direct reaction to this accident?

Yes. One operator had to change LZ to the road above the lodge, appropriate compo claim was made by locals.

There is nothing wrong with Ambua lodge helipads

You are sh1tt1ng me. - It can be extremely demanding getting in. Especially with another big ass machine sitting on the "best" pad.

PNG CASA-did the AOC operator (presumably Niugini Helicopters in this case) carry out a check ride with the pilot? What about a local familirisation flight?

This is the most important question.

Over to you Capt K.

Waghi Warrior
3rd Apr 2011, 09:06
I somehow very much doubt that the pilot done a check ride with CASA as there aren't currently any R/W FOIs, although I think all that's about to change in the next month or so I'm led to believe.

As far as Ambua being an easy place to get into, well I'd like to see some place difficult if Ambua is considered to be somewhat easy. I also heard that the helicopter may have been operating under private ops, can't really see how however that info come from a pritty reliable source. Regardless of this and no disrespect to the pilot involved, it really is a disappointment that such an accident of this nature has occurred, new pilot etc, having such an accident doesn't paint a very good picture of the industry.

I just hope the accident investigators can outline the facts and make recomendations for changes, if required as a result of this accident. Having just read the Kokoda accident report I must say that I feel things may be changing for the better, as long as the AIC can continue to get the appropriate funding. It's also good to see the AIC is headed by one of our wantoks !

Savoia
3rd Apr 2011, 09:56
Papua New Guinea was one of the most challenging rotary-wing environments I have worked in. High DA + awkward landing areas + high payload requirements + high flying hours + c*ap wx = a fair challenge.

In terms of safety, unless the operators take the lead, then the only alternative is for the DCA to do its bit by recruiting one or more highly qualified personnel and establishing a flight standards department which regularly inspects operations 'in situ' and follows up on the implementation of any recommendations emerging from the various accident reports.

Better still the oil, gas and mineral clients should require subscription to something akin to the OGP guidelines (but sensibly adapted to PNG's unique environment) and thereby actively subscribe to lifting the standard of the game overall. While this may escalate the hourly rates, if compliance with basic standards of professionalism becomes a requirement of selection for business then at least these clients will have bought a greater assurance of safety for their personnel.

It's also good to see the AIC is headed by one of our wantoks!
In my day he was P2 on the Pumas and used to wear a red helmet with the wording 'Capt. Bush Kanaka' written on the back of it! :p

Sav

Semi Rigid
16th Apr 2011, 09:30
Tolukuma manki-re. the Ambua lodge pads-
Ambua Lodge helipads and airstrip have been there for a long time. Plenty of safe helicopter movements have been carried out by competent pilots over many many years. There are swags of far more challenging helicopter pads to operate into and out of in the highlands of PNG. Many have yeilded to the rampant jungle re-growth and dissappeared!
Could I be so bold as to suggest that perhaps the Ambua Lodge helipads should be utilised by pilots who have at least got a commercial helicopter licence and maybe even some mountain time given that the pads are roughly 6500'-7000' amsl. Being checked out in an area of operations by a more experienced pilot could have helped - weather hints, effective approaches, escape routes, passes & gaps, ummm operating with limited poer, loss of tail rotor effectivness - all very much a task by task consideration for a PNG helicopter pilot. There are people out there who came into PNG with 3000+hrs of good productive and challenging commercial helicopter time and the operating conditions have 'checkmated' the poor folk quicktime into the 3 layer canopy jungle - it can be a very very difficult enviornment to operate in - not just for pilot and passenger and helicopter but for engineer, op's managers, clients and owners.
Just my few toea worth.