View Full Version : JAR or JAA PPL???

Delta106
29th Mar 2011, 21:32
Hi all!

I'm new to this so apologies if this is in the wrong section!

I would like to work towards getting an ATPL but via the modular route. The first stage of course is getting the PPL. I've been researching flight schools in the USA and UKFT show two options, either the JAR Compliant PPL which includes a night rating, or the JAA PPL. Which one of these is best for moving on towards the CPL??

Also, would anyone recommend UKFT??

This has probably been asked before in some other thread, so if someone could direct me to an answer that would be great!!

Many Thanks!!

AlfaBravo02
29th Mar 2011, 22:42
I'm sorry.
JAR and JAA are now EASA.

Only for Your kind information, JAA is the authority wich issued tha JAR. JAA stays for JOINT AVIATION AUTHORITIES who issued JOINT AVIATION REQUIREMENTS.

Now everything is replaced by EASA.

I think You are looking for differences between FAA and JAA and there are a lot of post here in WANNABE sectiona on this.

Thanks You Sir.
:E

bravobravo74
29th Mar 2011, 23:13
Sam,

The first point that you might want bringing to your attention is that it pays to be sceptical. I've taken a look at UKFT's website and the fact that they're heavy on marketing (for instance they refer to one of their courses as being 'recession-proof') would lead me to be suspicious.

As for your query the 'JAR compliant' licence that they offer training towards seems to be a FAA PPL in disguise. I'm afraid that I can't tell you anything about the pratical terms of having such a licence and how it would affect your aspirations.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will be able to give a more comprehensive answer.

BillieBob
30th Mar 2011, 09:17
Try doing a search on here for UKFT, there's plenty of discussion about their fictional 'JAR-compliant' licence. A licence is either issued in accordance with JAR-FCL 1 or it is not, there are no half measures. UKFT will provide you with an FAA licence, which may later be 'converted' to a JAA licence, but then so may any other FAA licence gained at any other US flight school - there's nothing special about one gained at UKFT, except that it's probably more expensive.

It is not true to say that everything is now EASA. Until EASA takes responsibility for european pilot licensing on 8 April 2012 and since the JAA has reverted to being a training facility (JAAT), the JAA member states have agreed to continue licensing in accordance with JAR-FCL. However, considering the chaos and indecision that currently exists in Cologne, EASA will be pushed to get its implementing rules adopted into law and published by the deadline. They have already had to abandon Parts -AR and -OR and amalgamate them into Part-FCL in order to avoid the embarrassment of failing to get them into law in time.