PDA

View Full Version : Office 97

SPIT
28th Mar 2011, 17:27
Hi
I have just had to have Win Vista re-installed. Now the OLD Version had Word 97 pre-installed but the newer version of Vista (I presume this is an updated version) has NO word suite.
What I want to know before I buy a Ms Word 97 (I have heard that Word 2010 is no good and that 97 is better for home use) is will this be compatible with the newer version of Win Vista ??? :confused::confused::confused:

cats_five
28th Mar 2011, 18:06
I would be very surprised if you can still buy Word 97 except on places like Fleabay, but if you have the CDs that came with the PC I would have thought one of them will have Word on it. Vista (and Windows 7) are operating systems so the CD never has a word processor, spreadsheet or whatever on it.

Not sure who said that Word 2010 is no good though unless it was someone saying that everything Microsoft is cr*p. I know lots of people using it, though the ribbon can be a bit tricky to start with for users of older versions.

Spitoon
28th Mar 2011, 18:09
It's not clear what you do have on your computer if it doesn't have Word. But you might like to take a look at OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) before splashing out on the commercial package. OO is free and in many ways is equally good as MS software - and in some ways much better. And bear in mind you're going to have to hunt around for an unused copy of Office 97.

FWIW, Word 2010 isn't too bad - it's just a bit different. And if you only want basic functionality you might find that WordPad does everything you need!

Saab Dastard
28th Mar 2011, 19:52
Sure you don't mean Word 2007?

Surely there is no way that a Vista PC would have had Word 1997 pre-installed??? A 10-year old app (at least)?

If it was Word 2007, there's little difference between Word 2010 and Word 2007 - Word 2010 allows more customization of the Ribbon, adds a Backstage view for file management, has improved document navigation, allows creation and embedding of screenshots, and integrates with Word Web App.

SD

Airborne Aircrew
28th Mar 2011, 21:48
I hate that stupid "ribbon"... Can't find anything useful - just all the things you never wanted... :sad:

Load Toad
28th Mar 2011, 23:29
Off at a tangent but...

It would be nice if in future releases of Word, Excel etc if the developers could have a 'Simple' button so for your everyday use you could get rid of all the tat and use a pared down to the basics version - selecting 'Full' only when you needed all the tinsel & fairylights. I quite agree that most of the menus now, bars, ribbons, drop downs etc are too f'complicated.

Bushfiva
29th Mar 2011, 01:34
Files>Options>Customize Toolbar or Customize Quick Access Toolbar. Customize to suit.

seacue
29th Mar 2011, 01:50
Why bother with MS Office / Word 2010? I normally use OpenOffice, which doesn't change its user interface every time the wind direction changes in Redmond. I keep a copy of MS Office 97 on my machine Just In Case.

However I use XP, not Win 7, I must admit.

Gulfstreamaviator
29th Mar 2011, 06:35
But load xcell and word viewer....just to be able read modern stuff.
glf

M.Mouse
29th Mar 2011, 08:40
If you are a student or have a student in the family there is a popular legitimate website which offers the full MS Office suite for under £40.

When I was studying at the Open University I bought a copy - genuine disc complete with holograms and key. Search for software for students.

MidlandDeltic
29th Mar 2011, 09:05
Another vote here for Open Office - and as far as I know it does cope with the latest M$ formats. Lighter on space and PC requirments as well.

MD

seacue
29th Mar 2011, 12:11
Recent OpenOffice versions read DOCX and XLSX formats.

Feline
29th Mar 2011, 13:13
Didn't get on too well with Open Office (for one thing it doesn't have the capability to sort columns in a table). Lots Symphony suits me very well - it has a word processor, spreadsheet and presentation. I seem to remember that I had to register - but haven't been deluged by marketing spam. Well worth taking a look.:ok::ok::ok:

BDiONU
29th Mar 2011, 15:30
I'm using Office 07 with Windows 7 and no compatability problems. Did try office 2010 but not easy to get to grips with and some features were retrograde steps.

BD

obgraham
30th Mar 2011, 06:08
I think if you really DO have the original disk for Office 97, it will install onto your new computer just fine. That was before MS began putting all their controls like registration and validation in.
I'm using Office 2003, like it fine, and will continue to use it as long as it will install and read the newer formats.

Bushfiva
30th Mar 2011, 10:37
Lots Symphony

is OpenOffice in disguise