PDA

View Full Version : V Australia to Vancouver?

Red Jet
27th Mar 2011, 23:09
Yabba-dabba-doo! With a bit of luck, we'll get to ski at Whistler soon:ok:

Virgin blue cleared for Canadian takeoff
Scott Deveau,*Financial Post
Published:*Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Australia's Virgin Blue International Airlines Pty Ltd. has been granted rights to fly to Canada using its V Australia brand. The Canadian Transportation Agency also granted the Australian carrier rights to code-share through Canadian hubs with Delta Air Lines and its subsidiaries. WestJet Airlines Ltd., which also has an interline agreement in place with Delta, would not comment Tuesday on whether it would be interested in partnering with V Australia in a code-share, but has said in the past it was looking for an Australian partner. The Calgary-based carrier, which has strong ties with the Virgin Blue brand, says it "would rather not comment on any potential commercial relationships unless or until we have agreements in place," said Robert Palmer, WestJet spokesman. V Australia could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

VBPCGUY
28th Mar 2011, 00:15
EX MEL/SYD or BNE?

captwawa
28th Mar 2011, 00:46
thats awesome.. hopefully it pans out.. hasn't V OZ got Syd - Jfk & Sdy - vegas approvals inplace.. i remember reading that somewhere

Mr. Hat
28th Mar 2011, 00:53
No other articles mentioning it..

No press release yet.

VBPCGUY
28th Mar 2011, 01:07
According to Flight Global its a code share with Delta, so nothing to get too excited about.

winglets747
28th Mar 2011, 01:30
The CTA (Canadian Transportation Agency) has made two recent rulings.

No. 81 (http://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/decision-ruling/drv.php?id=30602&lang=eng) permits V "to operate, through code sharing, a scheduled international service between Australia and Canada" (my bolding). No carrier was mentioned.

No. 82 (http://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/decision-ruling/drv.php?id=30601&lang=eng) permits "V Australia to provide its scheduled international service between Australia and Canada by selling transportation in its own name on flights operated by Delta and/or SkyWest between the United States of America and Canada" i.e., codeshare with DL between US and Canada.

I've yet to find any mention of V applying, let alone being approved, to operate its own direct service.

More about V and Canada: Virgin Blue's US-Canada codeshare with Delta gives clues to Delta-V strategy - Wings Down Under (http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/wings-down-under/2011/03/virgin-blues-us-canada-codeshare-with-delta-gives-clues-to-delta-v-strategy.html)

neville_nobody
28th Mar 2011, 02:06
If Air Canada have the rights to fly to Australia then surely our government negotiated the reciprocal rights for any Australian carrier that wanted them...surely.....

Forget JFK direct, you'll never make money on it unless the 787 or A3whatever can do it.

Sunstar320
28th Mar 2011, 03:37
Even if V was to operate the flight in it's own right, its going to be a few years until they could get hold of some 777s. Unless they already have a deal in place for more??

virginexcess
28th Mar 2011, 04:14
V have one firm order, and 7 options for 777 still active.

Anything is possible, but I suggest Vancouver is unlikely. V will fly to Asia first, probably using the A330.

SilverSleuth
28th Mar 2011, 04:40
V will fly to Asia first, probably using the A330.
Wrong, V will not be flying the 330 at all. That's just what all the VA wannabies want to happen. If you go to VA all you have to ever worry about is Abu and LA .... ( at least trip requests will be easy) :rolleyes:

And I bet they wont be doing vancouver either. Once the delta approval is done the case for VA will diminish even more. Please revisit this post in 2 years and see if I'm correct.

Seriously
28th Mar 2011, 10:14
JB has said he expects V to have around 20-25 aircraft eventually

I doubt they'll just be going to LAX and AUH...:D

Mr. Hat
28th Mar 2011, 10:18

Haven't heard that one but if it's true its a nice thought.

Depends what eventually means: 10 years or 100?

big buddah
28th Mar 2011, 10:22
If you combine VA and PB, you'll get your 20 aircraft?

SilverSleuth
28th Mar 2011, 11:31

Arrrrrr another wannabie...... You keep telling yourself that and once again come back and read this post in 2 years. See who is right!

He has never said that...... Keep on dreaming. :rolleyes:

KABOY
28th Mar 2011, 11:37
And while their haemorrhaging money, future options maybe just that.

Airlines operate in a dynamic environment, the Christchurch earthquake,Brisbane floods and IT problems are nothing compared to what the oil price is doing at the moment.

The current reasons for a loss are insignificant when oil prices are 30% of your cost base!

virginexcess
28th Mar 2011, 11:39
Firstly, the VA guys aren't wannabes, they are already flying heavy jets to international destinations, unlike anyone at VB.

Secondly, JB has stated quite clearly that V will be the international arm of the VB group.

Now put your 2 inch dick back in your pants and be happy that when the A330 starts flying internationally, it will be crewed mostly by VB guys operating under the V banner, or whatever incarnation JB releases to the market in June.

I also assume you are aware that there are already 2 VA Captains flying the A330. No wait, i stand corrected, that is one VA Captain and one VA F/O who has been given a command on the 330.

And for the record, JB has said he expects V to be 20-25 aircraft eventually. The smart money would suggest that will be a result of combining VA and PB to consolidate Virgin Group international operations, as has been suggested by the CEO.

JB has been very specific in stating that all domestic A330 ops will be flown by domestic (VB) crew. He made no such assertion about any international ops.

Personally i would not be surprised to see VA F/O's offered positions on the 330 to take advantage of their wide body and international experience. But then again, a 330 probably isn't that much different to a 737 or Ejet, so I suspect VB will be happy to draw on the vast experience of their domestic pilots to crew any future expansion.:ok:

PammyAnderson
28th Mar 2011, 12:06
Wow don't VA guys get defensive!
Geeze guys calm down. You get to go to 2 exotic international destinations (abu Dahbi & LA) making heaps of money... :rolleyes: flying a big jet!
Interesting as at the last roadshow it was told to me direct they have No plans to expand VA past the current order. May want to get updated info there. Also look at his last statements regarding VA to shareholders.
A lot of hopeful statements. Maybe worth also to have a look at the VA EBA proposal, it is for 777 only. Yes all 4 of them ! ( oh sorry one or 2 more to come) woo hoo.

But back to thread topic. VA won't be doing Vancouver anytime soon I don't think.

SilverSleuth
28th Mar 2011, 12:14
Virgin excess you got me, I must not know anything. Then again maybe I do and your wrong. Come back in 2 years and we will see. :D

And pammy I think everyone in the industry knows why they get defensive.

Ultergra
28th Mar 2011, 15:58
Im jealous!!

Vancouver!?!?! It's about time someone thought outside of the ($hit)box they live in. Read QF management.

If it's true, good job! I've noticed Air Canada in YSSY recently, it's a market that isn't flooded and provides a great opportunity for Voz.

What about Shanghai-Paris hey Alan. You know, think a little bit.

Oh I forgot, you're a twit.

slamer.
28th Mar 2011, 19:04
Havent you guys been reading the papers....? it will be code share with on Air NZ.

Continue Approach
28th Mar 2011, 21:42
As unlikely as it is that any other carrier will run head to head with Air Canada on the SYD-YVR run, it doesn't stop me from wishing that somebody would.

The AC flight 33/34 direct service is always full. And AC only offer economy and first. There is no option for premium or business. And their fares are always more expensive than any other comparison, which is unfortunately only available via LAX or AKL.

Pipe dream.