PDA

View Full Version : BT Homehub / Virgin media ADSL

ex_matelot
27th Mar 2011, 14:44
Is it possible to configure and use a BT homehub on a Virgin media connection?

I have recently moved house and binned BT for having gash customer service with regards to miving house and reconnecting. I now have a surplus homehub. The Virgin package came with a netgear router, which works but - I was wondering if the BT hub would be better. Just by way of an experiment really.

Cheers.

green granite
27th Mar 2011, 14:53
Yes Unlocking BT Home Hub (http://www.josephn.net/unlocking_bt_home_hub)

MacBoero
27th Mar 2011, 14:54
Not if you're using Virgin's cable service. BT's HomeHub is an ADSL telephone line device.

ex_matelot
27th Mar 2011, 16:02
I'm not cable, just ADSL. Will check out the unlock link.

Does anyone know if the homehub is actually better than the standard Netgear router I have provided from Virgin? Is this experiment worthwhile?

Could I use the BT phone VOIP connected to Homehub via Virgin ADSL?

Cheers.

mixture
27th Mar 2011, 16:27
Does anyone know if the homehub is actually better than the standard Netgear router I have provided from Virgin? Is this experiment worthwhile?

To be honest, cheap home routers are much of muchness. You get what you pay for. With the exception of Belkin who have appalling software, the rest all have their good sides and bad sides.

Evanelpus
27th Mar 2011, 16:58
Just changed from orange to BT and have a HomeHub 3.

Early impressions are that my orange hub linked to my PC faster than the BT jobbie. I'm forever having to 'reconnect' the Home Hub to my PC. It's early days so I'll have to wait to find out if things settle down.

Some of the earlier BT HomeHubs were known to have problems (don't ask me what they were, I've read this on another Forum) but the introduction of version 3 was meant to have sorted it all out.

boguing
28th Mar 2011, 01:55
I had a clear out of the understair cupboard of infinite possibilities yesterday.

I chucked about ten routers, several wifi aps and related modems. And a couple of usb modems - remember them?

The ones I kept for a rainy day were Sitecom and Zyxel. Anything Netgear in the old blue metal boxes is superb, their white plastic era is absolute junk. I'm ambivalent about Belkin, but threw it away anyway.

I'm currently on BT with HH2. Seems OK, but has dropped out four times in as many months. Not tragic but the diagnostic, while clever when it works, is not the be all and end all. Next time it does it I'll probably go for the Sitecom.

Curiously, the shop that sells more non functioning electronics than could be thought possible, is where I get the Sitecom stuff. Who?

Maplin.

Booglebox
29th Mar 2011, 14:34
My advice is to junk the ISP modem / router and use a proper one. If the ISP doesn't let you do this, change ISP. :}