PDA

View Full Version : Turned out nice again . . .

G SXTY
12th Feb 2001, 17:01
Dear Aunty Pprune,

I've just had my PPL lesson postponed by wx for the 7th time on the trot, and I'm starting to worry that my 152 will have forgotten what I look like.

Please tell me I'm normal, and that this isn't some kind of record.

Yours,
Worried of Stapleford (Land of eternal cloud)

------------------
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit pruning.

Jude
12th Feb 2001, 17:12
Can't control the weather, its just as bad up here at Liverpool where I try and instruct. All I can say is keep trying, sit in the aircraft and revise your checks, work towards the written exams so they are out of the way when the weather does eventually improve. Oh and don't blame your instructor they are just as p****d off as you.

[This message has been edited by Jude (edited 12 February 2001).]

Mister Geezer
12th Feb 2001, 17:28
7 times... you are lucky! :) :) :)

My PPL Skill Test was cancelled more than 10 times!!!!

Lesson cancellations due to weather - that is another story!

This is test of your motivation and determination!!!!

All the best!

MG

------------------
It's a limited RAS as you approach my dark area.......

G SXTY
12th Feb 2001, 18:08
Ah, so I'm not alone.

I'll just cherish those memories of FS2000, when I could 30m visibility at the click of a mouse. Happy, innocent days . . . :)

------------------

Mariner9
12th Feb 2001, 19:49
Roll on Global Warming!!!

RVR800
12th Feb 2001, 20:31
Many grass strips are flooded eg
Beverley Linley Hill

IMHO : On the subject of global warming

Climbs on soap box

I don't buy all this Global Warming rubbish

... average temperatures have been unchanged since the mid 18th century with fluctations
around a mean point...

The fluctations directly correlate with the solar cycle and have nothing to do with greenhouse gases like CO2 (and H20)

Global warming is good for research grants
and travel in academic circles though

A few years ago we were told we were told that we were entering the next ICE AGE . !

Gets off soap box

Mariner9
12th Feb 2001, 21:04
Watch out for those soap boxes, they can get slippery in all this rain!

I agree with you though, RVR. A lot of the scares seem to have been caused by the press misinterpreting scientific papers on the subject. Having said that, I'm not advocating a return to the widespread dumping of CFC's, burning of fossil fuels & suchlike.

I just wish the f%#%ing sun would shine more often, particularly at weekends!

AffirmBrest
12th Feb 2001, 21:08
Used to think GW was more often than not exaggerated (in both directions) by media - Yesterday went to the Natural History museum for the first time in a few years and had a wander round the Earth Galleries...

...Fascinating and thought-provoking stuff, and pretty objective, too.

And they've got Dinosaurs! RAAAGHGHH!!

(edit speeling)
------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

[This message has been edited by AffirmBrest (edited 12 February 2001).]

Delta Wun-Wun
13th Feb 2001, 00:09
Dont worry...This year my Instructor said that I needed one more lesson to brush up before my Skill Test...This lesson was cancelled 6 days running.Finally got it done.Then skill test was cancelled 4 times due to bad weather meaning just over 3 weeks between last lesson and Test,but it is suprising how it all comes back again.Dont worry just keep going through everything in your mind.The weather got to get better....Hasnt it????

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

GPS Approach
13th Feb 2001, 03:14
Hey G-SXTY,

Get out of this cold, wet, godforsaken place we call home and finish your PPL off somewhere warm and sunny.

It was 85 degrees when I left San Diego last week, sitting here in my fleece with the heating on, I wish I was back there.

Plus there is the additional bonus of lots of hot women in California!!!

Good luck with the flying anyway, I'll be back as soon as I've earnt enough dosh to do my Commercial Flight tests!

------------------
Aargh, that was the taxiway we landed on!

Teenyweeny ATC Cdt Cpl
13th Feb 2001, 15:03
G-SXTY-
...at least you didn't end up sliding off 22L, and ending up nosewheel-deep in mud and water, waiting for the brand new rescue van to come out to you - then spending 15 minutes of my precious (and expensive) flying time pushing it out...
(the joys of x-wind landings after several weeks with no flying http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif )

WX Man
13th Feb 2001, 15:15
I blame the cack wx on the coincidence of the 11 year solar activity cycle and el- nino.

feetnkneestogether
13th Feb 2001, 15:47
That El - Nino....he's a cheeky chappy.

G SXTY, quite seriously go somewhere hot and sunny. I did the first 10 hours of my PPL at White Waltham ......and it took me 3-4 months due to the WX (even with almost obsessional vigilance). I finally thought Billix to this and nipped over the water and completed the whole shebang in 10 days. I then spent another 14 days hour building.
I came back with 82 hours TT and a night rating.
Definitely worth it.

Cheers........

G SXTY
13th Feb 2001, 20:30
Well you can say what you like about Global Warming, El-Nino, etc, I think a greater power is at work - yesterday (when I was supposed to fly) the wx was 'orrible, today (when I can't) there isn't a cloud in the sky. I think it might be divine retribution for me being a West Ham supporter.

Seriously, I'd love to go and fly somewhere warm & sunny, but work commitments make it an absolute no-no. Even worse, our honeymoon is in the USA this summer, but Mrs SXTY would retract my undercarriage for me if she thought I was going to use it to go flying. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif (Apparently I'm expected to be romantic for a whole 2 weeks). http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

And Teenyweeny - exactly which one did you go off-road in from 22L? I want to have a real good look at the nosegear next time!!!

------------------

GPS Approach
14th Feb 2001, 02:14
G SXTY

Its definately because you're a West Ham supporter, you should support the original Claret and Blue boys, the mighty Villa!!

Good luck with the flying in Blighty and congrats on the marriage, if you get the PPL done before you go, you might be able to persuade Mrs G SXTY for a romantic flight or two!!

GPS Approach

------------------
Aargh, that was the taxiway we landed on!

Pandora
14th Feb 2001, 02:23
G SXTY

don't let it get you down too much. When i did my PPL I saved for a year because I thought it would be much better to do it quickly to maintain continuity. 13 months later I was wondering how it could be sunny everywhere else and still foggy and drizzly in Barton, And why had I bothered saving when I could earn the money much faster thanit was possible to spend it (on flying, at least).
After being made to do circuits almost in tears because the weather was so bad I finally ended up with a PPL and a fantastic appreciation of all types of crap weather.
People I did my CPL with who did their first 70hrs in the States arrived back in the UK terrified of clouds.

Pandora
14th Feb 2001, 02:30
RVR800

when Linley Hill (that's not on a hill) is flooded, try Mount Airey at South Cave (which is on a hill). It's not licenced but it is 700 metres of the best kept turf I have ever had the pleasure to land on (once you've dodged the TV mast on approach). It has the added advantage of having my sister living at the bottom of it - always handy for a cup of tea.

Teenyweeny ATC Cdt Cpl
14th Feb 2001, 13:42
It was G-BYMH, but that's not what you want to be careful about - the first a/c we booked out had a possible overstress on the back end - the elevator had been folded upwards! Ended up with us changing to MH.

Just remember, it's better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here.
-tacc