PDA

View Full Version : New Garmin GNT as a GNS avionics replacement?

ILblog
25th Mar 2011, 20:06
Garmin unveiled new GNT avionics, that should replace GNS line.

Garmin?s New Touchscreen Navcoms Wow AEA Crowd : AINonline (http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/garmins-new-touchscreen-navcoms-wow-aea-crowd-29183/)

Do you know if this avionics is just for new instalarions or you will be able to easilly replace your old GNS with GNT (of course with associated paperwork on FAA or EASA)????

wigglyamp
25th Mar 2011, 20:25
The new Garmin GTN units have FAA TSO and are ready to ship for retrofit installations. Garmin have an FAA AML STC so no certification problems on N reg aircraft. For EASA aircraft, ETSO is expected in about 6 weeks (I think Garmin are always a bit optimistic so I won't hold my breath), and then European installations can start - single units as Minor changes and dual fits will be EASA STCs. They are not directly plug and play - the trays are different, as are the connectors. The 650 is the same size as a GNS430 but the 750 is much bigger than the 530. Both new units can control a remote transponder, so saving panel space, and the 750 can also control a remote audio panel.