PDA

View Full Version : Computer With 5 Wheels

seacue
25th Mar 2011, 20:05
The story about the Kindle requiring a reboot reminded me of my automobile experience.

I have a 2010 Honda FIT (may be called a JAZZ in your country). I was in a supermarket parking lot with the engine idling. I decided to press the button which changes the display from total distance to trip distance to fuel consumption to how-near-end-of service-interval.

I must have pressed the button for too long a time. The brake pedal no longer worked. The shift handle on the automatic transmission had no effect - it wouldn't go into any gear. The steering wheel had no effect.

I had a computer with five wheels, four on the ground and one for "steering", and it had crashed. I noted an odd round signal lit on the instrument panel. I looked in the user's manual and discovered that symbol indicated that the Electronic Steering System was offended.

GASP!!!

Given that I had a computer, not a car, I turned off the ignition, waited for a short while and turned it back on. The car rebooted and all was well. WHEW!!!

My confidence had been seriously damaged.

vulcanised
25th Mar 2011, 20:48
Good job we don't have computer controlled aircraft then.

Oh, wait a minute..........

Booglebox
25th Mar 2011, 21:41
Jesus jumping christ. :(

I hope you reported it to Honda!

A fair few articles around at the moment about how it's possible to crash / inject viruses into / take control over engine management units and other car computers. There was a good demo a few months back where a bloke made a small module that fit into the car EMU access port (where engineers plug laptops in to see how the engine's doing), and it would randomly disable the brakes, unlock the doors etc.

Electronic engine management is all well and good but whole cars... hmm... at least planes are supposed to be massively tested and certified (and the alternative manual methods are statistically less reliable). But I digress. :8

Saab Dastard
25th Mar 2011, 23:18
Yes, Windows in cars is a truly scary prospect...

Uh-oh, it's already here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-automotive-7.aspx)!

SD

Booglebox
26th Mar 2011, 09:13
Oh god!! :yuk: :* :( :hmm:

Imagine having to simultaneously press brake, wiper stick and cd eject button to access task manager to kill engine.exe :\

Blues&twos
26th Mar 2011, 21:19
The advantage for the police would be the ability to instantly download some better drivers.

A A Gruntpuddock
27th Mar 2011, 23:23
"The advantage for the police would be the ability to instantly download some better drivers."

Brilliant! Of course, like the rest of us, they might find it difficult to find acceptable drivers ....

Loose rivets
28th Mar 2011, 00:16
All we need now is Slasher to show us the difference between svelte 32 bit drivers, and voluminous 64 bit'uns.

And of course, there's my @$^@^ Mercedes Benz. Backing out to limp the deflated suspension to the dealers, and a huge red warning filled the screen. Brakes...dong, dong, dong, Do not drive. Dong, dong.

Even recycling the ignition didn't help. I opened the door, and it stopped.

Problem? Dirty brake fluid. Must not have ANY dirt in the prissy little brake control unit. FBW brakes feel nice, but seemingly need a team of engineers on hand. They even need - according to MB - a separate 12v battery that costs more than the gargantuan one in the trunk, simply to back up this electro-hydraulic bit of plumbing. $195 plus tax to have it changed. Not allowed to do something I've done for 50 years, or the warranty will be voided.

Blues&twos
28th Mar 2011, 21:28
This whole "go to the garage to change bulbs" thing really hacks me off. My wife has recently bought a new car. I can barely get to the back of the headlamps to change the lamps. The thing also has some bizarre "cornering lights" which light up at 45 degrees on the side you're turning if the car is going at low speed. These need the front bumper removing to change. And although I've changed my fair share of engines, clutches, gearboxes etc in my youth I can't find the dipstick* (seriously!)
I think I might need to remove some more bits of plastic.

*Possibly me? :confused:

Loose rivets
29th Mar 2011, 04:34
There may not be one. That @#$^@$& MB offered one as an extra, normally trusting the computer to keep track of every start, city and cruise mile.

Feline
29th Mar 2011, 13:37
Tragic case with a Honda Jazz a while back in Cape Town - couple arrived back from shops and left sleeping baby strapped in car seat while they took the shopping into the house. When they came back out to collect baby, car was well on fire from faulty window winder motor. They were unable to get child out. Very sad. Think I might leave Honda's off my shopping list ...