PDA

View Full Version : LAN selling illegal connection please advice

wadrian6
25th Mar 2011, 15:08
I am trying to get from LON-MPN on 28th Oct 2011 on LAN. Booking through the website is no problem, but I noticed that they are offering
23:25 Madrid (MAD) 07:15 (Saturday) Santiago de Chile (SCL) LA723
08:20 Santiago de Chile (SCL) 15:20 Mount Pleasant (MPN) LA991
The SCL-MPN flight has a stopover in PUQ so it's considered a domestic flight. The International-Domestic flight MCT for SCL is 90 minutes, and I'll need to pass Immigration and Customs so this is an illegal connection.

I called LAN and they insist that the system allows this so this must be achievable, but they also say I'll be responsible if I cannot make the connecting flight (I thought LAN should be responsible because they are the ticketing agent, this is on a single ticket and not a forced connection). The other option is to force a 25 hour connection in SCL but this increases the fare. Since LAN is the only commercial airline to MPN and this is the most direct option from Europe I'm sure someone would have picked this up before?

Does anyone have any experience with this connection? Any help is appreciated thanks!

Hartington
25th Mar 2011, 16:11
There are often exceptions to MCT. Are you sure this isn't an exception?

As for the comment about who's responsible they're plain wrong. That said, if that's what they say you'd better take note although I would challenge it by asking for a supervisor - it's an IATA resolution that the delivering caarrier is responsible.

Is it possible to get an earlier flight out of Madrid? Probably be an Iberia plane with a LAN flight number which some might consider a reason for not going that way!

wadrian6
26th Mar 2011, 11:28
Yes it is possible to arrive the day before, or to go via North America or via Brazil into Santiago but any changes to the most direct itinerary (LON-MAD-SCL-MPN with 65 minutes layover in SCL) the prices goes up from around USD$1600 to USD$3200 for a return flight. The call centre just told me "it's your choice" so I'm doubtful they'll be of any more help if I really missed the flight. LAN has monopoly over this route (apart from UK Ministry of Defence flights) which only operates once a week.

Hartington
27th Mar 2011, 00:39
When I said exception I meant something like "MCT INT/INT 90 except INT to MPN flight 60 min" Exceptions like that do occur.

I really would urge you to contact LAN again.

wadrian6
27th Mar 2011, 23:07
I called LAN again and this time a different agent they said the MCT is indeed 60 minutes for the MAD-SCL-MPN connection, maybe because the system sees SCL-MPN as international-international even though the flight departs at the domestic terminal. SCL MCT is I-I 60 mins, I-D 90 mins. I'll need to clear immigration and customs (Chile requires baggage to pass through customs at first point of entry and I'd need to recheckin--not sure if this applies to luggage through checked to MPN?), then proceed to the domestic terminal.

My MAD-SCL arrives at 7,15am, which is minutes after the JFK-SCL and MIA-SCL flights and there will be a morning rush at immigration and customs.

How good is LAN at taking care of passengers with missed connections? I actually won't mind a stopover in Santiago for 1 week while waiting for my next flight if LAN takes full responsibility (free rebooking, arrange meals and accommodation) if I cannot make the connection. This is just a leisure trip and I have no financial loss if I arrive 1 week late. This is on a single ticket and the OneWorld timetable also recognises this as a valid connection. Will LAN possibly charge a hefty rebooking fee and cancel the rest of my itinerary if I miss the flight? (not unheard of)