PDA

View Full Version : For those who bought a Kindle e-reader...

Rossian
25th Mar 2011, 12:10
....as a result of the earlier threads on the subject.
Swmbo who has been really pleased with her Kindle during six weeks away travelling was having a nail spitting session this morning as her magic machine just stopped. Sulked and was totally un-getattable. I should add that she bought and used a natty leather cover for it.

She contacted the big river company and a techie there told her to take it out of its cover and push the power switch over AND HOLD IT THERE for a fair few secs. Whereupon it rebootted itself. He also said he would credit her account with the cost of the cover and add to it another £20 credit to the cost of the cover that has a light on it. All done and dusted within 20 mins, and a confirmatory e-mail rx'd within 5 mins.

To me this company swift action indicates that it is a known fault.

I hope that this info may be of use to some other users should they run into a similar problem.

The Ancient Mariner

mad_jock
25th Mar 2011, 15:22
So we can all get 20quid :D cheers

P.Pilcher
25th Mar 2011, 19:15
Everyone knows that when all else fails the answer is a power-off reset. Trouble is that with the Kindle, the battery is permanently connected and not easy to remove so this facility is not available to Kindle owners. However, like all computer based equipment the running software is liable to occasional corruption. This happened to me like many others and the highly efficient Kindle help desk advised me as above: Hold the power switch on for over 10 seconds and an automatic complete reboot will be initiated. It was and my Kindle is now working again as it should. Clever bit oif kit as well. A book I wanted to purchase was downloadad in about 5 seconds.

Of course this is described in detail in the Kindle instructions .... which you can't read because your Kindle won't work!

P.P.