PDA

View Full Version : PPL Flying colleagues

Readyornot
24th Mar 2011, 17:02
Hi all, searched on this one and couldn't find an answer...

If I fly myself and a colleague to a location for a meeting and then part reimbursed 50% of the cost by my employer, would this be within the limits of my PPL?

Thanks

chopperchappie
24th Mar 2011, 17:08
I don't know.
You might find the answer in the ANO:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF

CC

puntosaurus
24th Mar 2011, 21:08
Well I think we can give a little more help than that. Have a look here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1428/SummaryOfCATPTAWANO2009May2010.pdf). It seems to cover the specific situation you are talking about.

Bronx
24th Mar 2011, 21:52
Exception No 4 (page 6 of the link in the last post)

6.4.1 In the past PPL holders have queried whether they are entitled to recover from their employers the costs of running their own aircraft or hiring an aircraft to fly themselves on business, e.g. to a business meeting. As they have reasonably argued, they would be entitled to travel by train or car and recover their expenses of so travelling and wish instead to recover some or all of the costs of flying. Insofar as the employer has an interest in the employee travelling to a particular location at a particular time, then any payment made by the employer (even a contribution to costs) in relation to the flight will be in respect of the flight or the purpose of the flight. Thus the flight would be for the purpose of aerial work and outside the privileges of a PPL. However, an exception has been established permitting a PPL holder to recover the direct costs (but not the annual costs) in such a situation the flight being private for all purposes.
6.4.2 There is a proviso ensuring that on such a flight no one is carried who is under any legal or contractual obligation to be carried, e.g. the boss cannot order members of staff to travel with a PPL holder but must permit the option of an alternative means of travel.

If you're renting the helicopter then the direct cost is the rental cost.
If it's your helicopter then you'll have to look up the meaning of direct costs.

Readyornot
25th Mar 2011, 16:40
That certianly clears it up, great news. Thanks

Camp Freddie
25th Mar 2011, 22:34
From ANO 2009, Section 1 Part 33 Page 6

'Direct costs' means the costs actually and necessarily incurred in connection with a flight without a view to profit but excluding any remuneration payable to the pilot for services as such;

I dont think this helps at all haha, wheras:-

'Annual costs' in relation to the operation of an aircraft means the best estimate reasonably practicable at the time of a particular flight for the year commencing on the first day of January preceding the date of the flight, of the costs of keeping and maintaining and the indirect costs of operating the aircraft, such costs in either case excluding direct costs and being those actually and necessarily incurred without a view to profit;
:confused: