View Full Version : Large Capacity External Hard Drive

finfly1
24th Mar 2011, 15:16
I am looking to purchase another external hard drive.

I was told that those with much larger capacity, in the terabyte
range or so, are more susceptible to crashing than the 500 gig
that I am presently using.

True?

thanks

Jycommuter
24th Mar 2011, 15:50
In my experience, False.

Jimmy Macintosh
24th Mar 2011, 16:01
I've 2 external 1Tb hard drives, not had one issue and they've been running continuously now for 2 years.

hellsbrink
24th Mar 2011, 17:07
Running a 1Tb Iomega* external which has caused no problems whatsoever except the usual issues with some BIOS not "agreeing" with the drive in the USB port on bootup so the computer doesn't boot. Dunno why that happens, seems to be "hit and miss" as one computer here has no issues but another just won't start at all.

But why another external, why don't you fit another internal hard disk of whatever size you feel is useful and just use your external for important backups?

(*Why that one? Price, got a good deal)

badgerbaitz
24th Mar 2011, 18:11
Been running two raid NAS machines for the best part of two years. Faultless machines, so much so I almost forget that they are there.

Get one you will not regret it. :ok:

Mike-Bracknell
24th Mar 2011, 21:34
Utterly false.

Incidentally, a good bit of info - don't buy a drive greater than 2Tb if you don't want to have partitioning and access hassles in XP.

finfly1
25th Mar 2011, 00:09
My sincere thanks to all of you.

The purpose of the new e drive is merely redundant backup of existing files, music and photos from my hard drive. I have nearly filled the existing external drive which I have been using for that purpose.

Again, thanks for the help.

:D

Booglebox
25th Mar 2011, 21:54
I have one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=360303256503&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Bit noisy, but stick it in a drawer or something I guess. Nice design that you can take apart very easily, all metal and no plastic!

MSF
27th Mar 2011, 00:52
I am running 3 x 1Tb 2.5" on a hot swapable esata HDD dock with no problems.
Laptop HDD s are more durable and easier to store than a 3.5 monster.