PDA

View Full Version : Firefox plus Adblock problems with Gmail ?

TZ350
24th Mar 2011, 14:45
I was going to install Adblock (with FF 3.6.16) and were reading reports on the Adblock site; one report was as as follows.

" Don't use if you use Gmail. Adblock makes header and sidebar disappear in Gmail ! No buttons and no research possible. "

As many people here have favorable comments, re Adblock, I wondered if anyone had any experience of this. Alternatively, is it straightforward operation to disable/uninstall Adblock, if it seems to cause problems ?

Many thanks.

green granite
24th Mar 2011, 16:37
I don't see a problem as there is an option in addblock to enable you to disable it for any particular site you visit. Just right click on the addblock icon and select 'disable on <name of site that you're on>'.

You can enable/disable in manage addons in firefox It's installed as an addon by the way not as a separate program.

TZ350
24th Mar 2011, 22:28
Thank you very much green granite.

Now, that will be tomorrows mission.

KBPsen
25th Mar 2011, 00:51
I use Adblock Plus with FF and have had no problems using gmail. That goes for both FF 3.6 and 4.0.

The only thing that disappears in gmail are the ads.

mike-wsm
25th Mar 2011, 07:08
Adblock is what you make it. It won't block anything until you tell it to, or until you import a set of blocks from somewhere. If it does block something you want, then just look at the blocked items for that page, you can disable them individually or turn adblock off for that page only.

TZ350
8th Apr 2011, 18:20
I have finally surrendered to technology and must request assistance ( again ) please. :confused:

After 2 weeks with Adblock installed I've managed to sort out the instances when it blocks something I want successfully but on many sites it does not block any ads, even though it is enabled. This particular site is one of the worst for adverts that are more invasive than :mad: Adobe for taking over your computer ; autosport.com - the authority on Formula One, F1, MotoGP, WRC, IndyCar, GP2, F2, Le Mans, NASCAR and more (http://www.autosport.com/)

There is a continuous stream of " transfering data......., waiting for....., read images....." and other script in the lower LH screen above the " Start " icon and the Castrol ads at the top and sides.

Suggestions much appreciated. Thanks. :O

Saab Dastard
8th Apr 2011, 21:39
I've just looked at that site with AdBlock on, and I don't see a single ad.

Have you configured AdBlock with at least one set of blocks, as Mike-WSM mentioned above?

You can manually train it item by item, but that will be horrendously slow.

SD

TZ350
12th Apr 2011, 16:02
Many thanks mike -wsm, and Saab Dastard, you are right, I think what happened was there was an " AdBlock " upgrade that loaded that day but wasn't activated until the next start up. I noticed the window that appeared when I right clicked on the " ABP " icon was different. It does seem to be functioning better since.

A thought, is it possible to manually train it to block any video/Twitter type link , as sometimes script appears in the lower screen LH screen when it's slow loading a page?
Or is this not relevant ? Thank you.

TZ350
14th Apr 2011, 21:59
To SoCal App, many thanks for your tip. I've just subscribed to both.

This forum is a magic resource.

TZ350
13th May 2011, 19:56
Just an update for anyone considering Adblock Plus, the latest version, set up as per SoCal App's advice, is a real treat. :D