PDA

View Full Version : Which Service Gives/Takes Banter the Best?

Maxibon
24th Mar 2011, 10:37
Morning

It seems that the levels of banter/criticism seems to wildly vary between fleets and services.

Just wondering, who is the best...:E

draken55
24th Mar 2011, 10:46
Salvation Army:ok:

MATELO
24th Mar 2011, 11:21
Most definately the Royal Navy.

Worked with all 3 services and the navy was by far and away the best. They have another level of humour that surpasses everything the other 2 services throw at each other.

27mm
24th Mar 2011, 11:29
We used to refer to "the gay banter of the crewroom", but can't do that any more....

ex_matelot
24th Mar 2011, 11:29
I agree. I always found the crabs were the first to get outraged when on the receiving end of banter. I suppose that goes with the territory of being the military arm of easyjet:D

moggiee
24th Mar 2011, 11:31
Going into banter mode I would say:

no-one takes it as readily as a sailor!

Jerry Can
24th Mar 2011, 12:24
The Royal Marines without question. 5yrs RM and 11 and counting as a crab.

Naked thread?!

ex_matelot
24th Mar 2011, 12:41
Booties do excel at naked rollmat fighting!

teeteringhead
24th Mar 2011, 12:42
As a subset of the crabs,may one offer the SH Force. :ok: or even :E

There are of course many crabs (and all forces) who seem to have had GSOH bypasses....

One recalls a COMAO exercise mass brief when some fast-and-pointed person asked the SH briefer what weapons they had.

Answer (with superior smile): Only Banter......;)

NutLoose
24th Mar 2011, 12:43
I agree. I always found the crabs were the first to get outraged when on the receiving end of banter. I suppose that goes with the territory of being the military arm of easyjet:D

Easy for you to say from the safety of your barrel........ :p

ex_matelot
24th Mar 2011, 12:55
I think my opinion may be slightly marred by memories of 2 Wrafs we had embarked onboard as Asma operators. To say they were aware of their "rights" would be an understatment. Banter was reduced to a big fat zero within a week of their being onboard as the ships company teetered around the eggshells they surrounded themselves with. One put in a complaint because one of the Wrens onboard who's surname was Allcock was nicknamed "sucks".

They were probably bad examples and unworthy ambassadors for the RAF.

NutLoose
24th Mar 2011, 13:02
One was cracking a joke LOL......... obviously humour in not strong in you young Padawan.

ex_matelot
24th Mar 2011, 13:13
I know you were. I fail to see how you interpret my response as lacking in sense of humour. I made no reference to your joke:cool:

Think you were being a bit too eager to prove a point:=

EESDL
24th Mar 2011, 15:35
then there's the emergency banter of "Fiick Off, Fiick wit" seen to be frequently used by all the Services............

chevvron
24th Mar 2011, 15:56
Scene: Nursing Officers Mess at RAF Wroughton (that dates it); all in civvies for a cocktail party; one male officer turns to his mates and says ' 'ere Steve, dis crab wants to know if we're all pongo's'.
I went to the bog.

langleybaston
24th Mar 2011, 16:06
it has to be the Met Men "when I'm right no one remembers, when I'm wrong no one forgets.

At recruiting, skin thickness is measured, anything less than elephant is rejected.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Mar 2011, 16:25
Hard to forget when, for instance, Met man briefs CAVOK. Then a shag at the back opens the fire doors and the back 3 rows disappear as the fog rolls in.:O
Mind you, you're still forgiven for getting D-Day right :ok:(though this credit may run out soon).

The Helpful Stacker
24th Mar 2011, 16:37
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsE/5244-2464.gif

"This fog, its slippery stuff you see..."

langleybaston
24th Mar 2011, 17:40
For Iraq II [whatever Op it was called] I was CMetO HQRAFG and remember emphasising just how cold the desert nights were. ....... shades of Bravo 20 freezing their b*lls off sort of thing.
Sandy Wilson was heard to say that the assembled throng had better take it seriously "he sometimes gets things right".
It was not unil he arrived that all the JHQ clocks on the RAF side all told the same time.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Mar 2011, 17:55
Or the time me and the auth walked across to meet the metman in ATC. Both in full cold weather kit & snow on our SD hats.
He collects slides and heads for door in shirtsleeves.
"Aren't you going to get your coat?"
"Why?"

NutLoose
24th Mar 2011, 21:16
I know you were. I fail to see how you interpret my response as lacking in sense of humour. I made no reference to your joke:cool:

Think you were being a bit too eager to prove a point:=Ohhh I know you have a sense of humour, Bell bottoms and your hankies worn around your necks over your jackets prove that one.... :p:ok:

RAF police at RAF Bruggen on QRA....... dress code for sitting in ones greenhouse looking at ones fence all must look the same... jackets either all on or off.... all determined on outside temperature on OC police flights Thermometer positioned by the window for easy viewing, but INSIDE his heated office and over his radiator.. whilst everyone outside freezes..... see even the plods have a sense of humour

minigundiplomat
24th Mar 2011, 22:10
I find Army (aviation) give and take banter well, the general army sometimes don't understand it - or are too rank orientated.

I find the RN give banter well, and generally accept it in good spirit, but some matelos are better at giving than taking banter.

I find RAF SH mates thrive on banter, the Multi's enjoy banter and the FJ mates can point to it on a map.

Junglydaz
24th Mar 2011, 22:13
Give me bell bottoms and hankies any day (never wore them myself) over chip-packet-crap-hats and an indiscernible coloured uniform. :yuk: :eek: :)

helidriver
24th Mar 2011, 22:14
mgd,

I believe you have it spot on! :ok:

h

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Mar 2011, 22:27
Well at least we know how to use a map..

Witnessed at the aircrew beer room some time ago. FJ mates from 10 nations, including Luftwaffe, enjoying RAF gun camera film from 1940 found in Sqn loft.
Luftwaffe truckie Captain arrives & notices "offensive" film; orders his whole crew to leave.
Dutch F16 pilot "Can't take a joke, shouldn't have started it!"

Mind you, funniest guy I ever met was a Belgian chopper pilot.

Seldomfitforpurpose
24th Mar 2011, 23:14
Give me bell bottoms and hankies any day (never wore them myself) over chip-packet-crap-hats and an indiscernible coloured uniform. :yuk: :eek: :)

Oh dear Oh dear Oh dear,

Dark Blue, I fully expect most of you old hands are hanging your heads in shame but if this is an example of top quality banter you guys have a lot of catching up to do :p:p:p