PDA

View Full Version : BA Aptitudes

Anne Hedral
12th Feb 2001, 14:48
I am interested in finding out what people think of the BA aptitudes. Recent experiences lead me to beleive that there is more than straightforward skill involved.

I know of three people who have both applied to BA and the RAF, and have completed both sets of aptitudes. They have all successfully passed the RAF tests, but have failed the BA ones. I don't beleive that it is fair to say that the RAF tests are any easier, as they last over four times as long as BA. They were also told that the results from their RAF aptitudes were 'good'.

There has also been a difference in the letters of rejection which they recieved. Whilst two of them received letters explicity stating which part of the tests they had failed, the thirds letter only stated that they had 'decided not to take the application further'.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

steven
12th Feb 2001, 18:34
It interesting that you bring this up. I myself have been to some of the classic aptitudes for various major organisations both civil and military (we all know who I am talking about) and I find them something of a mystery. I would like to say now that I have no grudge against any of the organisations in question however for someone like BA who will recieve close to 20,000 aplications each year it must be impossible to pick the best characters when they have to wittle this number down to 200.
Also it is worth noting that I have heard concerns that the RAF's aptitude testing is not as good as it should be. A pilot I know who conducts aptitude tests has clearly stated that it does not pick the best pilots it just picks the people that are best at tests. This may be true because I know of many UAS flyers who went to the OASC to take the aptitudes for sponsorship and failed them yet in their UAS flying training they had been graded a 5 average which is outstanding. So here you have a classic example of someone who is a good pilot but cannot do tests.

I am not saying that my word is gosple it is just one point of view that I have heard. At the end of the day many recruiters have a big task on their hands of reducing numbers of aplicants and it must be tough.

Rees24
13th Feb 2001, 02:51
I think it's probably fair to say that airline aptitude tests and RAF tests will be looking for different things in a 'suitable candidate'. While both will be looking for potential flying ability, the BA ones also feature a personality quiz, where they seem to be looking for a sociable nature (ie, the ability to get on with someone you've just spent 12 hours cooped up in a flight deck with) and an aversion to risk taking, not necessarily qualities required by fighter pilots. I've not taken any RAF tests, but I imagine that the RAF will be looking for a number of other qualities not necessary for flying airliners.

Anne Hedral
13th Feb 2001, 13:17
Interesting points, but I thought that the personality tests were not a part of the selection process?

I guess the point I was trying to make is can it be possible to determine wether someone has the mental capacity to fly airliners by a mere 25 question maths test? Or a twenty five minute english diagnostic check? With only a small amount of time to 'prove yourself worthy' luck must play a dis-proportional role. With longer tests, such as the RAF ones, if twelve minutes of it doesn't go too well you have always got another six hours or so to prove that you actually are capable.

TimC
18th Feb 2001, 20:52
Regarding the RAF aptitude tests. There are 5 tests specifically for pilot, these don't last very long in total. Then there are loads of other tests for things like IQ. There are also specific tests for navigator, air traffic controller, fighter controller and airman aircrew. Oh, and intelligence (the branch).

As I understand it, the tests carry different weightings for different branches. The tests can also be weighted differently according to whether the person is going for RAF/RN pilot, AAC pilot or airline pilot.

I did the full set less than a week ago, so if you have any queries, drop me an email and I'll help out all I can. Also, there's some info on my website www.timc.clara.net (http://www.timc.clara.net) about it.